XFX GTX 260 BE or Evga GTX 260 SSC

is there a reason you're wanting to spend so much on a 260 ? you can get a BFG maxcore oc 216 for 179 bux

The EVGA is faster and the XFX has some complaints in those user reviews about reliability, but at that point you may as well just get the GTX 275, as it is faster and $20 more than the 260 SSC. I wasn't aware that BFG had worse quality/customer service than XFX/EVGA; I thought they were considered good about this?

The EVGA is faster and the XFX has some complaints in those user reviews about reliability, but at that point you may as well just get the GTX 275, as it is faster and $20 more than the 260 SSC. I wasn't aware that BFG had worse quality/customer service than XFX/EVGA; I thought they were considered good about this?

the xfx is $220 and im not gone fork over $260 each since I want to go sli.

honestly I dont trust mail in rebates. plus the xfx will be 189.99 with the rebate. still cheaper.

honestly I dont trust mail in rebates. plus the xfx will be 189.99 with the rebate. still cheaper.

I'm just trying to help you :(. I was suggesting that, if you're willing to absorb the cost of the SSC, you may as well pay the extra money for the 275 as the price differential is small, especially if you don't factor in rebates (as the margin is only $10 then). Thus, I'd consider either the XFX 260 BE or an EVGA 275, as either option offers a higher price/performance ratio than the 260 SSC.

yes I understand. But like I said i plan to go SLI and the gtx 260s gave the best performance for the buck in that department. So yes I will probably get 2 XFX 260 BE which should save me $40 over the SSC, more if you count in rebates, which im not sure about.

I also found this Evga gtx 260 SE but its clocked a little lower then the BE

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130433

And you count the rebate it would only be $5 more each.

Last edited:
ALso do I have to worry about squealing noise from card? I dont want it. From what I hear it either a video card or corsair psu?

Last edited:
I guess it's a combination of luck and hardware. People say Corsair PSUs are responsible but I haven't found that to be the case; I think it's just that they're popular. I tried 2 GTX 260s, and 3 GTX 275s, and every one of the damn things has squealed. However, the current 275 I have isn't very loud about it, so I imagine in a computer of ordinary loudness it would be essentially inaudible, as I have a very quiet computer.

Some say all nvidia cards squeal, while others say it's only a certain percentage. I don't know what the real answer is but I'm inclined to think they all make some noise and that some are just louder than others, as one of the cards I tried was monstrously loud, most were kind of medium, this one is kind of more on the quieter side. I do have a Corsair PSU, but I tried the card in other computers which had different brand PSUs and it was just as loud, if not louder. So, I'm not terribly persuaded except in the case of the 620HX which I've seen people reporting that the PSU itself was squealing.

Also, I'm not suggesting to you to get the GTX 275. I just brought it up to help me make my point that, between your two options, the 260 BE is the more cost-effective route. Sorry for the confusion.

the cards that squealed what brand where they?

Also does anyone know the Temps of the xfx 260 BE edtion Vs the Evga 260's OC? I want the one that would run cooler as its important in a sli setup. I dont want to start ramping up fan speed just leave it on defult auto as it should be.

the cards that squealed what brand where they?

Also does anyone know the Temps of the xfx 260 BE edtion Vs the Evga 260's OC? I want the one that would run cooler as its important in a sli setup. I dont want to start ramping up fan speed just leave it on defult auto as it should be.

EVGA, but brand seems to have little relevance, probably because most cards just use the reference design. You can find people complaining about squealing from their XFX, BFG, etc. cards as well. I would assume the XFX cards run about the same temps as any other reference design-based card, so consequently roughly the same as the EVGA. I don't know for sure, though. The EVGA 260s I used both ran relatively cool.

im a little surprised they did not review the temps in the [H]ard|OCP one. would of been helpful a little bit.

im a little surprised they did not review the temps in the [H]ard|OCP one. would of been helpful a little bit.

Well, as far as heat goes, the new 260s seem to be the best of the GTX series. Just run the fan at 60-70% under load and you'll probably be fine :)

Well, as far as heat goes, the new 260s seem to be the best of the GTX series. Just run the fan at 60-70% under load and you'll probably be fine :)

do i really have to download 3 party fan tools for these cards to run fine without overheating? I mean this could be a huge hassle say im done playing game i have to lower the fan speeds because it would be to loud over automatic.

My only complaint with EVGA is getting screwed outta my rebate for this latest card I'm running. I think it was 20-30 bucks or something. But then again, I get screwed outta rebates all the time. Not a deal breaker for me with EVGA. I got nothin' but love for the hardware and support.

+1 for the 260SSC or the 275.

My only complaint with EVGA is getting screwed outta my rebate for this latest card I'm running. I think it was 20-30 bucks or something. But then again, I get screwed outta rebates all the time. Not a deal breaker for me with EVGA. I got nothin' but love for the hardware and support.

+1 for the 260SSC or the 275.

If i was to get Evga I would get this 1:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130433&Tpk=EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR

it almost the same speeds as the SSC

EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition

do i really have to download 3 party fan tools for these cards to run fine without overheating? I mean this could be a huge hassle say im done playing game i have to lower the fan speeds because it would be to loud over automatic.

The cards should keep themselves from going over the max safe temperature via auto fan, but I think auto just starts to kick in once you go over 80C or so. People seem to like to have their cards run cooler than that, so I was suggesting manual adjustment for that reason. I'm not sure how a 260 SLI configuration will end up on auto in terms of heat; probably will depend a lot on case ventilation and ambient temperature.

Honestly, though, if manually controlling your fans is enough to ward you off I'm not sure SLI is for you. It is, relatively speaking, a pretty minor task with something like EVGA Precision Tool (which works on any nvidia card). I guess I'm getting the sense that you have a pretty limited tolerance for inconvenience (e.g. the aversion to rebates, this problem with fan control), and I'm not sure you'd be happy dealing with the idiosyncracies people appear to face with SLI from time to time. That's not meant as an insult; some people just want things to run properly and without much hassle, and that's fine. However, I'm just trying to warn you ahead of time that you may be setting yourself up for frustration.

Good luck! :)

I just dont want to run at a higher fan speed manualy as that means 2X loud coming from each card....I dont want to sound like a jet engine ready to take off. now if it is auto it will boost itself up if it needs to then turn it self down. So my question is on auto which is the better card to get xfx or evga? which one has better controls. also it is a hassle turning it higher/lower each time im not playing I did it before with my BFG 7800 Gtx, this is were auto should come in.

Last edited:
I just dont want to run at a higher fan speed manualy as that means 2X loud coming from each card....I dont want to sound like a jet engine ready to take off. now if it is auto it will boost itself up if it needs to then turn it self down. So my question is on auto which is the better card to get xfx or evga? which one has better controls. also it is a hassle turning it higher/lower each time im not playing I did it before with my BFG 7800 Gtx, this is were auto should come in.

They probably both follow a reference spec; I doubt you'll find any difference in the auto behavior. I guess I personally find auto is not as aggressive as I'd like about keeping temperatures down, but that may just be personal preference *shrug*.

interesting. Are thier any owners of the gtx 260 black edtion here that could comment?

You can look right at the comments on Newegg about the Black Edition. Several of them mention the card getting hot and being instructed to use a tool to turn up the fans as a solution. So, it sounds like it's essentially the same behavior as any other GTX 260, particularly an overclocked one, although my SSC ran fairly cool I guess (not sure what it would have been like in SLI though). I don't rely on Auto to keep my cards cool, however, as I don't find it to be adequately reactive.

ok but since its the reference design your telling me the xfx actually gets hotter then the eVGA?

ok but since its the reference design your telling me the xfx actually gets hotter then the eVGA?

Actually my point was mainly just that it seems you may end up having to do manual fan control as those people did. I didn't rely on auto for the EVGA card, although I guess it may have worked. It sounds like, on these higher overclocked cards, sensitivity to heat becomes an issue. I'd read somewhere on here a suggestion that the shaders are sensitive to heat, so maybe that's factoring in. I think probably with the XFX many of the differences in aggregate reports of behavior is just due to there apparently being a lot more 260 BEs out there than SSCs.

I thought there was some tool out there that you could use to set up a manually-adjusted automatic behavior for the fans. Maybe I'm wrong about that, though. If it does exist, that could probably solve the problem since you'd just have to set it up once and the thing would take care of itself thereafter *shrug*.

Get the XFX. If you are going to spend that much on the EVGA you might as well pony up another $20 and get a GTX 275.

Get the XFX. If you are going to spend that much on the EVGA you might as well pony up another $20 and get a GTX 275.

the evga gtx 260 Sc is only $205 and xfgx is $220? why should I spend more?
And if where talking the gtx 275 thats 260... and im gonig SLI which 2x 260's will give me the best bang for the buck performance.

OK i see. Well i decided to go with the Evga 260 gtx SC

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130433&Tpk=EVGA 896-P3-1257-AR

its cheaper then the xfx and same performance. Plus I had an evga 8800 GTX before.....That thing ran hot but never did have to adjust anything.

The XFX is faster, but it probably won't matter much in SLI.

Here's a guide for setting up custom auto-fan control in Rivatuner: http://www.guru3d.com/article/rivatuner-20-fan-speed--overclock-guide/

The XFX is faster, but it probably won't matter much in SLI.

Here's a guide for setting up custom auto-fan control in Rivatuner: http://www.guru3d.com/article/rivatuner-20-fan-speed--overclock-guide/

ok thanks.

Also about the speed: faster by what 1 or 2 frames?

Evga:

Core Clock 626MHz
Stream Processors 216 Processor Cores
Memory
Memory Clock 2106MHz (effective)
Memory Size 896MB

Xfx:

Core Clock 666MHz
Memory
Memory Clock 2300MHz

ok thanks.

Also about the speed: faster by what 1 or 2 frames?

Evga:

Core Clock 626MHz
Memory
Memory Clock 2106MHz (effective)
Memory Size 896MB

Xfx:

Core Clock 666MHz
Memory
Memory Clock 2300MHz

Depends on resolution. As you can see it's running 40MHz higher on the clock, and I imagine there may be some gap in the shaders too. The memory is also running 100MHz ("200MHz") faster as well. You can probably just overclock the SC up to those speeds, though, and in an SLI configuration I'm not sure you'd even notice the difference anyway. I wouldn't worry about it that much :). IMO you should send in for the rebate from EVGA. From what I've read, they're reliable about honoring them.

the res will be 1920 X 1080 , Maybe i should just flip a coin! heads evga tails xfx? ;)

EVGA seems to be using componenets that squeal.
I got my first squeal card with a 9800GT by EVGA. but like others say it can be any manufacturer when it comes to refrence designs.

Seems you like you alreadyset ur mind to a card,...

EVGA seems to be using componenets that squeal.
I got my first squeal card with a 9800GT by EVGA. but like others say it can be any manufacturer when it comes to refrence designs.

Seems you like you alreadyset ur mind to a card,...

I think you got a defective card thats all....I tried a Evga 9800 GTX before no squeal, but just in case is the XFX less prone to squaling over EVGA. I will be using the CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX psu as well.

Last edited:
Back