XFX GTR RX 480 running 1500 core / 2100 memory on AIR.

sorry, i guess i didn't want to get a bad card. I feel like the sapphire nitro was a really good deal for the price on newegg. I was like debating these two cards for awhile this morning
I would not read too much into smoking, he is unfortunately very pro AMD as can be seen how heated is in this thread with me, nothing wrong with the 480 just be careful as they are not all equal (same goes for Nvidia models) with various pros/cons.
There are several articles out there showing what I am talking about but mostly done by German reviews, again more balanced and not like thesmokingman who seems to think you should just go ahead with the Nitro and everything is going to be great because it is an AMD card....
On overclockers.uk where there are many owners of various 480s, there was a proportion not happy with the Sapphire Nitro models while some others were.
The biggest weakness is the cooling design in comparison to some of the other 480 models, but you will be fine if you increase the fan profile and if it has the quiet/OC mode (just higher boost clock nothing major) may need a bit of power target when not using quiet mode.
Just to stress I am not saying it is a bad card, just that you need to be aware that some tweaking may be required.
Cheers

Edit:

Last edited:
I would not read too much into smoking, he is unfortunately very pro AMD as can be seen how heated is in this thread with me, nothing wrong with the 480 just be careful as they are not all equal (same goes for Nvidia models) with various pros/cons.
There are several articles out there showing what I am talking about but mostly done by German reviews, again more balanced and not like thesmokingman who seems to think you should just go ahead with the Nitro and everything is going to be great because it is an AMD card....
On overclockers.uk where there are many owners of various 480s, there was a proportion not happy with the Sapphire Nitro models while some others were.
The biggest weakness is the cooling design in comparison to some of the other 480 models, but you will be fine if you increase the fan profile and if it has the quiet/OC mode (just higher boost clock nothing major) may need a bit of power target when not using quiet mode.
Just to stress I am not saying it is a bad card, just that you need to be aware that some tweaking may be required.
Cheers

Edit:

Of course we are pro AMD, this is THE AMD forum ffs. Please stop scaring off people we are helping.

i don't really plan on overclocking the card but i understand what you are saying. I really was debating between XFX and sapphire which seem to be the best two brands for amd cards. It just came down to price and the sapphire was a really good deal. i just need the card to run at the advertised speeds and i will be happy. I know the amd cards don't overclock well. I'm not expecting alot of overclocking.

i don't really plan on overclocking the card but i understand what you are saying. I really was debating between XFX and sapphire which seem to be the best two brands for amd cards. It just came down to price and the sapphire was a really good deal. i just need the card to run at the advertised speeds and i will be happy. I know the amd cards don't overclock well. I'm not expecting alot of overclocking.

Stock GPU core speed for a RX 480 is 1266. So the XFX GTR and Sapphire Nitro are already OC'd from the factory. If you do wish to OC the card, I would suggest not touching the GPU core at all. Instead try increasing the memory speed as it gives the same performance gains as increasing GPU core speed.

Stock memory speed should be 2000 which actually means shows up as 8000 in some overclocking programs. A golden card can reach 2200 or 8800. A terrific card can do 2250 or 9000. Sometimes a memory OC can make the GPU core unstable. If you get a crash then just back off it a bit.

Have fun! Let us know how you like it. Make sure that you install the latest AMD hotfix drivers.

what are good GPU overclocks? I just want the card to run at it's advetised factory oc settings.

what are good GPU overclocks? I just want the card to run at it's advetised factory oc settings.

GPU core OC's? Mid 1300's on an aftermarket cooler style card like you chose with the Nitro. 1400 if you win the entry tier of the silicon lottery. 1430 - 1460 if you tweak all day and have a 1% greatest in the world card. Then you have jaw dropping outliers like the card in the OP.

The XFX rep on Twitter said that his cards do well because they chose better than factory components to surround the GPU core with. It wasn't really a binned core type deal as even binning has a GPU lottery aspect to it. Voltage stability seems to be high on XFX lists of things to achieve.

There is a Gigabyte G1 card where they took the factory parts and replaced them with inferior parts. And you can barely OC the thing without throttling.

Lastly don't worry about an OC on the core as there is lots of bandwidth to find in the memory.

Last edited:
This happened a lil while ago but considering that there is not much real data on these cards as ppl are creating legend about this card, I figure it should be tempered a bit. The GTR looks like a good card but let's not forget who made it, XFX. They don't have history as a custom card expert, let's be real here.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/xfx-rx480-gtr-black-edition-black-screen-issue.227379/

That's not a XFX problem; that's a AMD / Microsoft driver issue. It started the very second that I installed the Win 10 64 Anniversary update. Nvidia had similar problems until this week when they released their newest driver. Nvidia's problem was corruption in online video which my RX 480 also had. But those black screen issues was so annoying that I almost bought a GTX 1080. Almost until I looked on the Nvidia boards and saw people crying about the same issues I was having. ;) :) :)

Can't win sometimes. :)

That's not a XFX problem; that's a AMD / Microsoft driver issue. It started the very second that I installed the Win 10 64 Anniversary update. Nvidia had similar problems until this week when they released their newest driver. Nvidia's problem was corruption in online video which my RX 480 also had. But those black screen issues was so annoying that I almost bought a GTX 1080. Almost until I looked on the Nvidia boards and say people crying about the same issues I was having. ;) :) :)

Can't win sometimes. :)

It's not a driver issue. It's a hardware fail, on the GTR that is.

It's not a driver issue. It's a hardware fail, on the GTR that is.

Reddit was full of closed and deleted threads on the issue. Read the older official driver threads there. Everyday I posted my displeasure about the issue. I tweeted Raja, Robert, the AMD driver crew, etc about it. The latest 16.11.2 kinda fixed it. Now I only get an occasional "video has stopped playing" error when watching a Twitch stream. It was flashing black screens, locking up my PC, and everything else annoying before that. Wattman was resetting my settings every 3 - 5 minutes. I told them to at least reset the GPU core speed if you're going to reset the voltage. They changed the driver to do just that. It was horrible to use my PC. I relegated myself to using my old Dell dual core notebook from back in the day to surf the web.

Kyle even had the issue in every VR review that he did. His last 5 or so expressed the anger he was having with black screens when using a RX 480 and inability to even install the driver properly.

It's still listed as an issue in the newest 16.11.2 driver as they haven't completely figured out the video stopping thing. So it's not a XFX thing; it's an AMD / Nvidia / Microsoft thing. ;)

Known Issues

• A few game titles may fail to launch, experience performance issues or crash if the third party application "Raptr" has its game overlay enabled. A workaround is to disable the overlay if this is experienced.
  • DOTA™2 may experience a crash when launched using the Vulkan™ API on some Graphics Core Next products.
  • Battlefield™1 may experience an intermittent application specific error message popup citing graphics device removal
  • Flickering may be experience while playing Overwatch™ in the main menu or viewing character models using AMD CrossFire mode.
  • H.264 content playback may experience playback issues on internet browsers with hardware acceleration when also running gaming applications or content.
  • FIFA 17™ may experience an application hang or black screen on launch for some select Hybrid Graphics or AMD PowerXpress mobile configurations.
  • H.264 content may experience blocky corruption when streaming using P2P content players on some Radeon RX 400 series graphics products.

Reddit was full of closed and deleted threads on the issue. Read the older official driver threads there. Everyday I posted my displeasure about the issue. I tweeted Raja, Robert, the AMD driver crew, etc about it. The latest 16.11.2 kinda fixed it. Now I only get an occasional "video has stopped playing" error when watching a Twitch stream. It was flashing black screens, locking up my PC, and everything else annoying before that. Wattman was resetting my settings every 3 - 5 minutes. I told them to at least reset the GPU core speed if you're going to reset the voltage. They changed the driver to do just that. It was horrible to use my PC. I relegated myself to using my old Dell dual core notebook from back in the day to surf the web.

Kyle even had the issue in every VR review that he did. His last 5 or so expressed the anger he was having with black screens when using a RX 480 and inability to even install the driver properly.

It's still listed as an issue in the newest 16.11.2 driver as they haven't completely figured out the video stopping thing. So it's not a XFX thing; it's an AMD / Nvidia / Microsoft thing. ;)

Known Issues

• A few game titles may fail to launch, experience performance issues or crash if the third party application "Raptr" has its game overlay enabled. A workaround is to disable the overlay if this is experienced.
  • DOTA™2 may experience a crash when launched using the Vulkan™ API on some Graphics Core Next products.
  • Battlefield™1 may experience an intermittent application specific error message popup citing graphics device removal
  • Flickering may be experience while playing Overwatch™ in the main menu or viewing character models using AMD CrossFire mode.
  • H.264 content playback may experience playback issues on internet browsers with hardware acceleration when also running gaming applications or content.
  • FIFA 17™ may experience an application hang or black screen on launch for some select Hybrid Graphics or AMD PowerXpress mobile configurations.
  • H.264 content may experience blocky corruption when streaming using P2P content players on some Radeon RX 400 series graphics products.

You didn't bother to read the link. Onglar er ah lol I can't even remember his old username from OCN anymore lol, is not some noob and he tried every driver he could not named 16.11.2. Lets not make this a defensive thing.

I have done everything, 4 different driver versions with and without using DDU, clean w10 reinstall, tried different PCIE slots and power cables.

So one guy has a problem with a card and that's enough for you to condemn all 480s and all output from a manufacturer, XFX!?!?

Can you link me to the EVGA 1070/80 threads ...I wanna see what real manufacturer fuck-up looks like :rolleyes:

Lmao, here comes the defense crew.

You didn't bother to read the link. Onglar er ah lol I can't even remember his old username from OCN anymore lol, is not some noob and he tried every driver he could not named 16.11.2. Lets not make this a defensive thing.

Not a defensive thing and I haven't scanned your link properly. Will do so after the doctor's visit! I'll be back in 4 hours or so. I'm not mad; just trying to help. ;)

I haven't owned a XFX card since [H]ardocp had a group buy for a 5850 way back in the day. :)

Let me explain the problem a little better even though I need to leave the house. :)

RX 480 comes out. Drivers work fine. All of them.

New drivers come out for new games. No problems.

Windows 10 Anniversary update happens. Immediately I now own a broken RX 480.

I installed every driver from RX 480 launch until 16.11.1. EVERY DRIVER IS NOW BROKEN. Black screens like a SOB! I loathe AMD and are ready to switch to Nvidia. I had the GTX 1080 in my cart until I read the GeForce forums and saw the same issues. ;)

I install 16.11.2. Card works almost as well as launch. The one issue I have is the Twitch streams getting out of sync after watching for 5+ hours. ESPN on DISH last night got out of sync after I left it on all night. Before with the other drivers I couldn't watch a stream on DISH. Black screen after black screen.

I'm not trying to defend XFX. I own a Sapphire reference RX 480. :) :) :)

Kyle was having the same issue with his VR testing. Just read some from maybe 3 - 5 tests back.

Here is one of the deleted threads from Reddit. I didn't bookmark others. I guess you can read deleted threads or is it just for the people that responded to them?

Not a defensive thing and I haven't scanned your link properly. Will do so after the doctor's visit! I'll be back in 4 hours or so. I'm not mad; just trying to help. ;)

I haven't owned a XFX card since [H]ardocp had a group buy for a 5850 way back in the day. :)

Let me explain the problem a little better even though I need to leave the house. :)

RX 480 comes out. Drivers work fine. All of them.

New drivers come out for new games. No problems.

Windows 10 Anniversary update happens. Immediately I now own a broken RX 480.

I installed every driver from RX 480 launch until 16.11.1. EVERY DRIVER IS NOW BROKEN. Black screens like a SOB! I loathe AMD and are ready to switch to Nvidia. I had the GTX 1080 in my cart until I read the GeForce forums and saw the same issues. ;)

I install 16.11.2. Card works almost as well as launch. The one issue I have is the Twitch streams getting out of sync after watching for 5+ hours. ESPN on DISH last night got out of sync after I left it on all night. Before with the other drivers I couldn't watch a stream on DISH. Black screen after black screen.

I'm not trying to defend XFX. I own a Sapphire reference RX 480. :) :) :)

Kyle was having the same issue with his VR testing. Just read some from maybe 3 - 5 tests back.

Here is one of the deleted threads from Reddit. I didn't bookmark others. I guess you can read deleted threads or is it just for the people that responded to them?

Just curious do you know how to control hw accell using RTSS? I wonder if that would help with their power state fiasco?

Just curious do you know how to control hw accell using RTSS? I wonder if that would help with their power state fiasco?

Haven't tried that. If you opened a browser while a game was playing you had to hold the power button to restart the PC. If someone signed into Skype for Windows Desktop and their name popped up, it would lock my PC up sometimes. If I tried to calibrate my Steam Controller in Big Picture Mode it kicked out an error that the graphics driver has died. The Windows Store could crash my PC. So many more things would trigger Wattman resetting.

Wattman resetting was particularly terrible for me because in the first drivers it only reset the voltage and not the core speed. Imagine the surprise that a sudden 1460 OC with stock voltage because Wattman reset the voltage and not the core clock brought me. The last few weeks I had to reduce my OC to 1400 and then completely remove my OC. With the new drivers I can OC as I like again.

I had disabled hardware acceleration in my browsers and HTML5 video still crashed the PC. scrolling through a Facebook or Twitter feed was suicide. I don't know how to get rid of hardware acceleration within other Windows apps. My Tidal music app would reset Wattman as it was Flash based for example.

Everything is almost working like normal with the exception of streams getting out of sync after some hours of watching them. I don't mind hitting F5. Sure beats the heck out of holding the power button! :)

Haven't tried that. If you opened a browser while a game was playing you had to hold the power button to restart the PC. If someone signed into Skype for Windows Desktop and their name popped up, it would lock my PC up sometimes. If I tried to calibrate my Steam Controller in Big Picture Mode it kicked out an error that the graphics driver has died. The Windows Store could crash my PC. So many more things would trigger Wattman resetting.

Wattman resetting was particularly terrible for me because in the first drivers it only reset the voltage and not the core speed. Imagine the surprise that a sudden 1460 OC with stock voltage because Wattman reset the voltage and not the core clock brought me. The last few weeks I had to reduce my OC to 1400 and then completely remove my OC. With the new drivers I can OC as I like again.

I had disabled hardware acceleration in my browsers and HTML5 video still crashed the PC. scrolling through a Facebook or Twitter feed was suicide. I don't know how to get rid of hardware acceleration within other Windows apps. My Tidal music app would reset Wattman as it was Flash based for example.

Everything is almost working like normal with the exception of streams getting out of sync after some hours of watching them. I don't mind hitting F5. Sure beats the heck out of holding the power button! :)

Try this link below. It's a guide I wrote years ago on controlling hw accel using RTSS. These blank screens and garbled crap are old, way old and in my experience has AMD has never really been able to get a handle on it thus the guide. And wattman sucks balls!

The AMD How To Thread

I got my Sapphire nitro +OC RX480 yesterday. This card is awesome! It's about as quiet as my Strix GTX970. My framerate is alot better and games running alot smoother. I tried out GTA V ,Witcher 3, rocket league, COD BO3, CSGO, TF2. I saw a huge improvement in all these games. Some of them my framerate doubled. The min fps seems to be alot higher. I used the sapphire trixx software and had no issues with it. I tried out the card at 1400mhz on the gpu and i was only able to get the mem at 2100mhz.

Back