XFX FURY X Noise

Hulk

Supreme [H]ardness
I installed this card last week and I noticed it has a high pitch noise. After opening up the PC case and placing my ear to all of the 4 fans I have (including one as an exhaust fan on the radiator of the Fury X) I narrowed it down to the card itself. I also placed my ear right next to the Fury X radiator and it makes zero noise, except for a very faint fan noise from the stock fan that came with the card.

So my question is:

Is the Fury X card (not the radiator) supposed to make any noise at all?

If this card is water cooled I don't understand why the card itself makes noise.

I tried to open up the backplate to see if the card has the new or old CM sticker but I don't have the right tool to do that. I'm going to return this card for another one but I just want to know if the card itself is supposed to be 100% silent or is it supposed to make some noise.

Is the high pitch noise happening under load? If so, then it's coil whine.

It could be the pump. Some peeps have been complaining about noise, My ASUS and Sapphire cards don't make any noise luckily

the noise happens at idle too, is the water pump inside the card compartment? I thought the pump was inside/near the radiator. what kind of tool do I need to open up the card? I have a 8 side L shaped tool but I think I need a 6 sided one? I want to open up the new card and check the sticker inside of it.

yeah the pump is in the block, on the gpu die, under the shroud. it should just be tiny phillips head screws to get it apart. the only time ive heard my pump is if there is air in it. it'll be a pita but you could try dismounting the rad, turning the case upside down so the gpu pump is now on top and raise the rad as high as possible. try running like that for a bit to make sure all the air is out of the pump block and into the rad. if the noise goes away that was the problem and now you need to flip it all over while keeping the rad as high as possible. I assuming that you know that the rad has to stay higher that the pump. if the noise doesn't go away it swap time or live with it.

Make sure you don't void the warranty by opening up the card - there are stickers protecting the screws that void the warranty on my two fury X cards.

If it's coil wine - it's covered under warranty. Coil wine should sound like a high pitched whine.

If it's air bubbles in the impeller it will sounds like that --- a swishing noise. What type of noise are you hearing?

it was a high pitched noise, I did hear the swooshing sound but that was only when I moved the radiator up to my ear to see if there was any noise coming from it. I already returned the card back to Amazon and the new one should be here on Thursday.

UPDATE

So I installed the new card, it's quieter than the other one (just an observation) but it still sounds kind of loud. I could hear it in the hallway in my house from a distance of 20 feet. The sound is a high pitched noise that sounds like "WHIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR".

For those of you that own the XFX FURY X card, how quiet is yours (at idle)? Do you hear any noise at all? Is it 100% silent? It's the loudest part of my PC and I don't know if it is supposed to be this loud or not. I mean even at idle I can hear this thing.

I have a Zalman 320 cooler installed that is 100% silent.

is it fan or pump noise? just stop the fan to hear it. if its the pump again, idk...

If you can hear it in the hall 20' away at idle that'd not normal. I can't hear my pair at idle 3' away from my ear with the case on the floor next to my desk.

Last edited:
thanks, I guess I'm going to return it a second time.

In game they make a fairly quiet fan noise. It's not high pitched or whinny.

The pump is built into the waterblock on AIOs. My Fury X started having pump noise but it sounded like a fish tank air pump.

You shouldn't be able to hear it from 20'. At idle it should be close to normal case fans.

UPDATE:

I installed the 3rd XFX FURY X card after returning the first two due to high noises. Bought cards were bought from Amazon, I highly recommend using Amazon when buying GPUs because with prime you get them in two days, and not only that but they actually shipped out the new GPU before I even shipped the other one back! At one point I had two XFX FURY X cards, it's too bad I only have a 750W PSU otherwise I would have tried them out in crossfire.

The third card is much quieter than the first two and I'm very happy with the noise level. It's not silent by any means, but it also doesn't have that high pitch noise. It's got what I would call a pleasant noise to it. Both this card and the previous one were the newer versions, I opened up the backplate and they both have the newer CM logos stamped on them instead of the sticker. I don't know why there are such huge noise differences between the cards though. The 2nd card I had, you could hear it from like 20 feet away at idle, with all 4 of my fans on low (have a fan controller).

I did order SilverStone 21-Inch x 15-Inch 4mm Thick 2-Piece Sound Dampening Acoustic EP0M Silent Foam SF01 and plan on installing it on the back of the backplate inside of the video card as well as all over the inside of my PC case to bring the noise even farther down. I'm not too concerned regarding increased GPU temps, this card's temps at IDLE are between 19 and 22 degrees Celsius (depending on what temp I have my office set at) and when playing games the average is around 35. The only game that really likes to work this card is Crysis 3, everything maxed out at 1920 x 1200 and 45 degrees.

Glad to hear you got it sorted out. I also ordered the XFX one from Amazon and glad to report it's not noisy, very glad as it's much more of a pain returning from another country!

Back