XFX Black Edition XPS-850 $90 MIR/Promo /FS

Green?!?!?!

Still a great price, five year warranty too, Seasonic status.

HardOCP Review said:
Today's topic of discussion will be the assimilation of XFX by the Borg. Apparently, in an effort to assimilate the rest of us the Borg have produced a much smaller Borg cube, that users will voluntarily install in their brand new gaming PC, and sent it back in time thereby conquering the Alpha quadrant before their failed attempt to prevent the Vulcan/Human meeting in First Contact.

LMAO.

Last edited:
I just saw this in my NewEgg email...

Really bummed about Sandy Bridge as I was just on the verge of starting to order parts for new rig...

So I've settled on waiting for sales on parts that I can get for my future SB build.
I've read good things about this company and their psu's.

Trying to find info on SB mobo's... is this psu compatabile with SB mobo/cpu?
Should I wait?

It's a great PSU, got one myself. For $90 it's steal!

Don't be thrown off by the green fan as it isn't really that noticeable. If you're buying this for a case with a bottom mounted PSU make sure you buy an 8pin extension cable (or 4pin, whatever your mobo requires).

Last edited:
I don't mean to crap on this deal, because if I wasn't broke I'd be buying it, but I don't like having two sets of CPU connectors to be captive. I know it's an 850W PSU, but you can't assume everyone is running a server. The two PCIe connectors are probably justified, but the CPU connectors no.

Man, that is an awesome deal. Just last night I was thinking about how I need to get a replacement for my "meh" OCZ modXstream psu. Definitely jumping on this, and going to tear it up and sleeve it's face off.

I call these power supplies "The XFX-Files" -- they are awesome as hell. I use the 750w in my gaming rig. Not a single problem yet and I don't anticipate any for years.

Oi, was about to pull the trigger on a Seasonic X750, but with a huge rebate like that... I might be tempted away.

Ordered Thursday from Newegg and go it today (Friday)!!!
Gotta love Newegg... put the rebate in the mail today also...
I just read in another thread for a XFX 650W (?) that his turn around time on the rebate check was within a month. Not bad...

The big green PSU fan is the intake, correct? Can I mount the unit upside down ?

Last edited:
Does the fan blow out the top or the bottom of the unit? I need the fan to blow out the top as I have a top mount for the PSU in my case... If the fan blows out the bottom can I mount it upside down?

Newer cases tend to have holes for mounting the power supply either way. Take a look at your case and see if there are a couple of extra holes that you could use if you were to flip the power supply. Otherwise, match up the hole pattern on your power supply and this one to find out which way it would mount.

Hi punkrockpolak,

I edited my post because I thought I must be wrong in my assumption that the fan is an exhaust. It must be an intake now that I think about it, am I right?

Well I pulled the trigger anyways, it's a great deal and its time to retire my 4 year old Seasonic to the "old parts" rig I am slowly putting together.

Hi punkrockpolak,

I edited my post because I thought I must be wrong in my assumption that the fan is an exhaust. It must be an intake now that I think about it, am I right?

Well I pulled the trigger anyways, it's a great deal and its time to retire my 4 year old Seasonic to the "old parts" rig I am slowly putting together.

Yep, it's an intake and air exhausts through the rear. I'm close to pulling the trigger on one as well :D

I can vouch for this PSU. I have the 750 and it's great. I actually like the green fan.

Can I use my existing modular cables from my Corsair HX620 with this (as they are already routed all over my case) and just swap out the box?

How long are the cables on this PSU? I read a review that said they were pretty short and I already have that problem with my current PSU which makes cable management really hard. Can anyone give me a measurement of the 8-pin CPU connector? I'm using the case in my sig.

I have the 650w and if the 850w is similar to mine in cable length, the 8 pin CPU connecter reaches only by having it go over the video card, but it reaches with a bit of slack in it too. All of the others fit perfectly. I also have the Antec 300.

Can I use my existing modular cables from my Corsair HX620 with this (as they are already routed all over my case) and just swap out the box?

I can't think of a reason why not, but it might be helpful to get some feedback from someone with direct experience in this area.

I have the 650w and if the 850w is similar to mine in cable length, the 8 pin CPU connecter reaches only by having it go over the video card, but it reaches with a bit of slack in it too. All of the others fit perfectly. I also have the Antec 300.

Damn because thats the only problem I have with this current PSU. I was looking at this PSU for a future build because of the price and I've heard such good things about it. Can you buy longer cables for it?

Damn because thats the only problem I have with this current PSU. I was looking at this PSU for a future build because of the price and I've heard such good things about it. Can you buy longer cables for it?

svc.com has a 8pin extension for $7.99 shipped
frozencpu.com also has them but you have to pay for shipping

I'm gonna pick up a set,but need to make sure that they are truly extensions and not a replacement modular cable that plugs directly into the ps on one end.

Don't you love how Newegg goes out of stock, puts ETA as 2-14-11, then magically finds stock the day after the coupon code expires? Something smells fishy...

Mine arrives tomorrow!
The only reason I'm getting this is because my HX 620 started buzzing once I plugged in my new GTX 560 Ti. Fingers crossed the XFX will bring the silence back!

Most of the time cables cannot be swapped between different manfgs.

Look closely at the plug configuration and wiring codes/color before you attempt anything.

I've posted that I had recieved my psu and how fast it was shipped by Newegg.

Once I got the psu, I sent off the rebate. Just yesterday, I got an email stating that my rebate was recieved and being processed. I checked the rebate website and shows what the email stated. I've heard good things about XFX rebates... so far, so good!

I don't mean to crap on this deal, because if I wasn't broke I'd be buying it, but I don't like having two sets of CPU connectors to be captive. I know it's an 850W PSU, but you can't assume everyone is running a server. The two PCIe connectors are probably justified, but the CPU connectors no.

The 4+4 split design is patented, I remember talking to Zap@BFG on this subject. Apparently, it's cheaper to install an entire extra cable rather pay the license fee...

QUICK REBATE QUESTION:

Is the "Original UPC" code the UPC code on the sticker that's on the box next to the plastic handle? The sticker that also has the part number on it? I cannot find any other UPC code anywhere, and I don't want to get my $40 rebate denied because I sent in the wrong UPC code...

QUICK REBATE QUESTION:

Is the "Original UPC" code the UPC code on the sticker that's on the box next to the plastic handle? The sticker that also has the part number on it? I cannot find any other UPC code anywhere, and I don't want to get my $40 rebate denied because I sent in the wrong UPC code...

Correct, you have to cut the box.

XFX Rebate center just sent me an email stating that my rebate was approved and should see a check in the next 15 days.

Glad to hear you guys are also having great experiences with XFX! I love mine and hope it lasts at least 5 years.

Back