http://tech.sina.com.cn/h/2010-10-16/06171529120.shtml

74208725.jpg

52350195.jpg

XFX 6870 Box
XFX 6870 Card
XFX 6870 Card Back
XFX 6850 Box
XFX 6850 Card

Wow... looking at the performance, a 6870 with 320x4 = 1280 SP's nearly matches the 1600 SP 5870. Looks like the 6850 will fill the hole that Cypress couldn't, and should crush the GTX 460.

Now imagine what a 480x4 = 1920 SP'd Cayman XT is going to do... much less Antilles :eek:

6870 is slower than the 5870, that's gonna confuse a lot of people.

This makes me excited...I've been staring at the 460 1gb everyday and it bothers me due to it not being much of an upgrade from my 4850 Crossfire, but 6870 Crossfire, for 460 1gb'ish' prices...../doooool.

6870 is slower than the 5870, that's gonna confuse a lot of people.

Yeah initially, until Cayman (6900) comes out...

My 4870X2 is getting long in the tooth, and a 6870 for ~200-250$ with far less power draw would be quite nice. And if I want to do multi GPU again, just CF two of these babies

5870 performance for a 5850 price, win. So freaking tempting to grab a pair and CF them but I want to see Cayman XT before I decide.

Hope these cards are power friendly and cool.

if im not mistaken the power use is around the same as the 5770.. temps wont be much different since its still the same 40nm process.. but the gpu's are far more efficient so its possible..

Looks like the Chinese let the details out first again:
http://tech.sina.com.cn/h/2010-10-16/06171529120.shtml

XFX 6870 Box
XFX 6870 Card
XFX 6870 Card Back
XFX 6850 Box
XFX 6850 Card

Wow... looking at the performance, a 6870 with 320x4 = 1280 SP's nearly matches the 1600 SP 5870. Looks like the 6850 will fill the hole that Cypress couldn't, and should crush the GTX 460.

Now imagine what a 480x4 = 1920 SP'd Cayman XT is going to do... much less Antilles :eek:
Those boxes remind me of the ATI 9000 series boxes. Simple and sweet.

is it me, or is that xfx 6870 sexy? Can't wait to see their actual retail prices when they are gonna be sold, I may buy that 6870 later down the line.

AMD have really stepped up their shroud design game since the 4 series. Those look pretty damn rad.

I love the box, design of the card and price. Keep up the good work man. Cant wait for the mobile counter parts at the beginning of next year.

Wow those cards look really sexy. If the Nvidia GTX 580 really comes out in december like some early rumors are saying it'll be interesting to see which will I have 3 watercooled of 5970 or 580? I'm due for a new build and what really matters right now to me would be the multi card driver support it can make or break either of these.

Can't wait for real game benchmarks, 3dmark isn't too bad for comparing relative performance on the same gpu architecture, but enough has been changed to make it a bit less than useful in that regard this time.

Some Norwegian gentlemen seem to think Nvidia's "Ultra" style solution that is the GTX 580 is more than just an april-fools joke:

http://www.nordichardware.com/news/...ia-preparing-gtx-580-with-512-cuda-cores.html

Time will tell, but certainly if Cayman kicks Nvidia's ass and silicon tweaks can get yields up as far as they usually do, a fully enabled Fermi, that is a Fermi package with all 512 cores enabled, is all but a definite --I would've suspected "GTX 490" myself.

Last edited:
If they're going with a 580 moniker maybe it's going to be the Kepler year-long paper launch.

So do you think XFX is sad now that they're no longer an Nvidia AIB? :rolleyes:

I'm sure they would love to be an Nvidia AIB.... But without giving up their AMD side of things obviously.

If you can sell apples and oranges then you've got something for everybody. :cool:

Some Norwegian gentlemen seem to think Nvidia's "Ultra" style solution that is the GTX 580 is more than just an april-fools joke:

http://www.nordichardware.com/news/...ia-preparing-gtx-580-with-512-cuda-cores.html

Time will tell, but certainly if Cayman kicks Nvidia's ass and silicon tweaks can get yields up as far as they usually do, a fully enabled Fermi, that is a Fermi package with all 512 cores enabled, is all but a definite --I would've suspected "GTX 490" myself.
dont they mean gtx 680?

Considering Nvidia doesn't have a full-enabled working 40nm card, I highly doubt the 580 with double many things will even be possible at 40nm

Since we are half way through Oct, I imagine new drivers will be released around the same time as the cards.

I'm definitely interested in how Antilles will do with DX11. Can't wait for those to hit.

With specs like this, I imagine they named it the GTX 580 instead of the 485 is because it pulls 580 watts under load.

Last edited:
why is the design a "dump the heat in your case" one?"

why is the design a "dump the heat in your case" one?"

Because it is quieter and more efficient with cooling as you can use larger axial fans rather than a squirrel cage blower. If you want a exhaust out the back card, then buy a reference one.

ah ok i see. Looks like reference cooling for me and lifetime warranty from XFX(if they intend to still offer it). Cards are built to run within spec so i wont be worried with a solid warranty. Noise doesnt bother me a bit, but warming up the overall temps inside the case seems like something you'd rather not have. To each his own.

ah ok i see. Looks like reference cooling for me and lifetime warranty from XFX(if they intend to still offer it). Cards are built to run within spec so i wont be worried with a solid warranty. Noise doesnt bother me a bit, but warming up the overall temps inside the case seems like something you'd rather not have. To each his own.

It looks like those images show the non-reference cards 7°+ cooler than the reference card but yes you will get some heat exhausted back into the case.

Most cases have more then enough airflow if you're going for this type of card, it shouldn't be an issue. EE cards are noisy as sin.

I'm excited about a single slot 6870. Almost makes me want to go crossfire. Almost... >_>

Back