XFX 8800Ultra noises

DITC

Limp Gawd
Alright,

Just built myself a new computer.

When I enter games, or any fullscreen 3D applications I guess, but I've only tested games so far, the GPU makes a sound, sort of like a high pitched electrical sound, it's not the fan, I've checked.

I can be in a game menu, and move my cursor to a icon that lights up, and the sound changes a little bit, really weird.

When I'm playing the sound is pretty much constant, the same all the time.

When I Force vsync in NVIDIA Control Panel, the sound goes completely away, and it's dead silent when playing games and in menus.

WTF!?

EDIT: I did a little searching and came up with this: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/215434-15-strange-noise-coming-8800 - where a lot of people have had the same "problem".

I don't have any problems with stability, temperatures or artifacting.

The noise could go away when using V Sync as the card no longer has to work as hard (slowed down to match refresh rate of monitor). It is possible there is a failing component on the video card. If you live in North or South America I can arrange to have an RMA set up or you can exchange it at your retailer if your within their time frame. Either way let me know and I help out.

The noise could go away when using V Sync as the card no longer has to work as hard (slowed down to match refresh rate of monitor). It is possible there is a failing component on the video card. If you live in North or South America I can arrange to have an RMA set up or you can exchange it at your retailer if your within their time frame. Either way let me know and I help out.

Thanks for the offer to help out, but I live in Europe. Anyway, I've read up a lot more on it now, and it seems to be, if not a common thing, not that uncommon either... And I've read reports on XFX, EVGA, BFG, Asus. So... No one's card has failed yet. And people have done 3-4, even 5 RMA's and got the same issue with the new cards.

My EVGA 8800 Ultra does the same thing. Very annoying to say the least but the card works fantastic despite this noise. You have to either live with it or 'risk' dealing with an RMA. I say risk as many have RMA'd only to get their replacement card back doing the exact same thing. This noise is more common than some will lead you to believe.

Yeah, after reading so much about it, that is the conclusion I came to as well. It works perfect, so I'll just use it till it dies, if it does. As you say, many have gotten replacements doing the same thing, not just once, but twice or more.

Back