XFX 8800GTX: 12,305 3DMark06, 650/1035 on air, $535...lol

Mako360

Limp Gawd
Wow, I actually feel a little guilty for all of the people who paid $600+ for their GTX... :D

That Dell deal last week, you know the one where every hater said they'd take ages to ship the card, rah rah rah, they'll cancel your order, etc, paid off nicely.

Ordered it on Monday, got here Yesterday. $535 + tax, with free s/h. :)

Stable on air at 650 core, 1035 memory, belts out a 12k+ 3DMark06 score all day long with no artifacts, etc. Great card, highly recommend XFX (my first card from them). CPU used was a C2D E6700 running at 3.6GHz for those who are curious about such things.

wow $535 (+ tax)! it's like they're giving them away! (rolleyes)

I'll feel real guilty for you in a few months when the refresh card comes out faster, more power efficient and cheaper than the 8800 GTX.

nice OC's though :p

Zinn said:
I'll feel real guilty for you in a few months when the refresh card comes out faster, more power efficient and cheaper than the 8800 GTX.

...and 6 months after that another refresh comes out and all the people that bought the 8800 refresh feel screwed, and the cycle continues....if a person never gets a new part because "something faster is always coming up" then they will NEVER have a NEW card because there is ALWAYS something faster coming up.....geesh.

I say fuck it, I buy when I have the $$$ and am ready, I don't look 6 months down the road and worry my underwear into a bunch....enjoy the parts NOW I say, and buy more later when the need arises....

TheRapture said:
...and 6 months after that another refresh comes out and all the people that bought the 8800 refresh feel screwed, and the cycle continues....if a person never gets a new part because "something faster is always coming up" then they will NEVER have a NEW card because there is ALWAYS something faster coming up.....geesh.

I say fuck it, I buy when I have the $$$ and am ready, I don't look 6 months down the road and worry my underwear into a bunch....enjoy the parts NOW I say, and buy more later when the need arises....

QFT!! I am in agreement 100%. Better faster parts are always coming out, so, just pull the trigger when you get the $$$ to do so. Just a year ago my system was HIGH-END, then the 7900's came out then 88's and better CPUs etc. Who cares. Enjoy yourself and your gaming.

Zinn said:

Says the guy with a 7600GS in his sig...oh but it's overclocked, so iI'm sure it's a true powerhouse... :D

Don't player hate my hardware-starved brother, participate. Buy yourself one and enjoy the fruit, because it is tasty fruit indeed...I happened to pick up a 37" Westy from Cruthcfield ($979 shipped) to go with the card last week, and I barely slept last night playing Oblivion at 1920x1080 with 4xAA and 16xAF. Just an incredible experience.

A few PMs came in asking about my card's temps: Idle = 48c, Load = 72c (fan manually set to 90% via nTune). My case is well ventilated, but I think the lower than normal temps are more a result of Winter making my house a little cooler than normal.

TheRapture said:

That is true, however, there are times when one really should wait. (if money is of the issue)

Like I waited 5 months on a Celeron 2.0Ghz before I bought a E6600 and I'm so happy I did. I'm pretty much going to do the same with these Dx10 cards. I'll get one when I'll actually need one :p (*has to wait until next Black Friday now until I have a chance a nice hdtv* :()

But if money is not of the issue, more power to you. I'd do the same lol.

By the way, is it loud at 90% fan speed? (because I hate how loud my x1900xt can, it's fine up to 60%, but when the next step at 77% kicks in it gets annoying)

blade52x said:
That is true, however, there are times when one really should wait. (if money is of the issue)

Like I waited 5 months on a Celeron 2.0Ghz before I bought a E6600 and I'm so happy I did. I'm pretty much going to do the same with these Dx10 cards. I'll get one when I'll actually need one :p

But if money is not of the issue, more power to you. I'd do the same lol.

Absolutely no reason to wait right now. None. At best, at BEST, you're looking at +25% performance from an R600 or 8900GTX in Febuary. And that's being generous. So basically you're going from getting 75fps at 1920x1080 to 94fps. Oooooooh, let me sell my 8800GTX on ebay right now! ;)

I'm being sarcastic not to attack anyone, but the reality is that the 8800GTX has set the bar high enough to the point where an overclocked one a year from now will still be throwing down fantastic frame rates in DX10 games. It's really like an X800XT, or better yet, a 9800Pro in that it's going to be in rigs for a looooooong time due to the power level and DX support.

Just my opinion.

TheRapture said:

Spoken well, since we all know you can wait for the next best and never get anything.

Sphere

Sphere said:
Spoken well, since we all know you can wait for the next best and never get anything.

Sphere

You're right, plus SLi potential changes things a bit too since it lowers the barrier to entry by reducing the "fear" quotient on a card going obsolete.

If an 8800 is "slow" in a year, the ability to drop in another one for $300 (An 8800GTX's estimated retail price in 12 months based on X1900XT and 7800 price erosion over a similar timeframe to date). It's a relatively painless option that buys more time before a full upgrade is needed.

I got nearly 22 months out of my X800XT-PE, the last card I owned, which has to be a record for me in terms of not having to upgrade a GPU. I expect this overclocked 8800GTX to go at least 18 months, or more, before games reach a complexity level that average fps level dip below 30 at 1920x1080 or before "DX11" or another software development obsoletes the card.

blade52x said:
By the way, is it loud at 90% fan speed? (because I hate how loud my x1900xt can, it's fine up to 60%, but when the next step at 77% kicks in it gets annoying)

I run mine at 85% all the time. I can BARELY tell it is louder than the default 60%, only if I lean closer to the case...now...100%, while noticeable, is STILL not as loud as those screaming XT's :p

TheRapture said:
I run mine at 85% all the time. I can BARELY tell it is louder than the default 60%, only if I lean closer to the case...now...100%, while noticeable, is STILL not as loud as those screaming XT's :p

Yeah it doesn't get bad until 95% or so, and even at 100% it's quieter than the XTs.

I found that 90% for me was quiet enough to where it wasn't discernable above the other fans in the system, but any higher was. Can't believe how big of a drop in temp it produced though, at least 6-8c lower at 90% than at the 60% default.

Zinn said:

nothing like the green monster raising it's head......and i'm not talking about the GTX

I know how you feel, I got the GTS on the dell deal for $384. Sold off my 7950GT for $300, so an $84 total upgrade price was nice.

Clocked it up a bit, I havn't found the ceiling yet but I'm over 10k in 3DMark06. I've been installing piles of mods to Oblivion the last few days. I'm running the game flat out with all the sliders up and lots of mods at 1920x1200 and it's fine and playable.

This thing is a whole hell of a lot faster than my SLI 7900s ever were, and it's only the GTS.

Mako360 said:
Wow, I actually feel a little guilty for all of the people who paid $600+ for their GTX... :D

That Dell deal last week, you know the one where every hater said they'd take ages to ship the card, rah rah rah, they'll cancel your order, etc, paid off nicely.

Ordered it on Monday, got here Yesterday. $535 + tax, with free s/h. :)

Stable on air at 650 core, 1035 memory, belts out a 12k+ 3DMark06 score all day long with no artifacts, etc. Great card, highly recommend XFX (my first card from them). CPU used was a C2D E6700 running at 3.6GHz for those who are curious about such things.

Is it still on sale? did you buy a coupon on ebay?

That's a nice overclock. :D

I'm hoping mine will be able to hit those speeds as well. Have you done ATITool artifact testing, btw?

Back