XFX 8800gt overheating, artifacting

e-geek

Gawd
I have an xfx 8800gt alpha dog and have been running it for 1yr with no probs but suddenly it has been artifacting in games so i checked the temps and its getting to 95c+. First thought would be to adjust the fan settings to see whether the artifacts go away, but its been running fine for a year in the same conditions and its not hot here atm.

I have a thermaltake duorb vga cooler and was wondering whether you guys think i should try to rma or put the aftermarket cooler on to test. I dont want to void my warranty by putting on the aftermarket hsf then finding out there's a problem with the card. Another problem is that the receipt was in the box for it and was lost when i moved, so i dont know if i can even rma it.

Any suggestions, i know xfx reps read this forum so if they say i cant rma then i will happily try the duorb vga cooler on it.

Thanks.

Edit: I still would buy xfx at the drop of a hat, and reading ppl's experience with them further encourages me to purchase from them.

I would take the whole HSF assembly off and clean it then re-seat it. Check temps then.

I have that exact same card BTW, got it a year ago just like you. Still love it. Mine has an Accelero S1 Rev2.

Does the stock hsf have ram sinks?, i thought it was just 1 big heatsink.

I was just assuming when you removed the stock HSF you put ramsinks on the RAM. Thats what I did with my Accelero.

Ahh i see, i havn't removed it yet, still have the duorb just sitting here from my 4850.

Ok so i took the stock hsf off and it was a bit dusty, but while it was off i couldnt stop myself from putting on the duorb =) , now it doesnt get very hot at all and so far no artifacts.
Edit: 46c highest i've seen it get with real temp

Last edited:
So i played some crysis today and it still artifacts and its not getting very hot anymore, is there anything i can do?

So i played some crysis today and it still artifacts and its not getting very hot anymore, is there anything i can do?

If the graphic card is running not as hot anymore, but still artifacts that means its damage, time to RMA it.

Usually when artifacts start like that is the card over time either collected enough dust to prevent airflow or its gotten so hot outside that its effecting indoor temps also incase temps. So over all your temps are higher then when you first bought it and from the exposure of high temps it caused damage to the gpu its self.

Yeah well i lost the box which had the receipt in it when i moved...., I guess i'm screwed.

Ok so i took the stock hsf off and it was a bit dusty, but while it was off i couldnt stop myself from putting on the duorb =) , now it doesnt get very hot at all and so far no artifacts.
Edit: 46c highest i've seen it get with real temp

i have a duorb on my evga 8800GT running 760/1890/1015.. gpu never goes over 50C while gaming and idles between 36-40C depending on ambient temp..

i love this heatsink.. best investment i ever made..

did you put all the VRM heatsinks and ram sinks on?

Yeah all the ram/vrm sinks are on, the temps are really good, just artifacting in some games not all but some.

if you arent running any overclocks.. then id most likely say there is something wrong with the card.. if you have another card laying around you can use.. id try it and see if its still artifacting.. would atleast give you an idea if its something else wrong with the system and not the card at all..

also a lot of companies that do lifetime warranties dont require a receipt to register.. you just need the serial number on the back of the card usually..

Well i've definatley got the serial # from the back of the card and i haven't overclocked this card at all, any xfx reps wanna give me some advice?

Well i've definatley got the serial # from the back of the card and i haven't overclocked this card at all, any xfx reps wanna give me some advice?

i would try registering it on XFX's site and try to rma the card.. just remember to put the old heatsink back on..

Omg this sux, I cant afford a new card and i couldnt even register the card if it was brand new, great one xfx, just over 1yr of usage and it artifacts in any gfx intensive game like crysis or stalker. What am i supposed to do?, do you really expect 1yr to be the lifetime of a video card and here i was hearing all these great things about xfx and i get screwed.

So basically i paid extra for a xfx video card when i couldnt even register it to get the warranty and get royally screwed, im pissed off now.

wow it just got to 98c and crashed crysis, allready halfway to the oven temperature :p

Back