XFX 7850 black screen + bsod?

rastaban

Gawd
Is anyone having black screen problems with their 7850 or 7870? I have a XFX 7850 DD BE I bought about 2 weeks ago and have black screened 4 times already. I shrugged off the first black screen but now I'm more concerned. The crashes occur randomly while I'm watching youtube. I can usually tell when the crash is about to come because a horizontal line flickers across my 2nd monitor (both 1280x1024) moments before the crash.

When the screen goes black, it is only on my primary screen and other functions are all retained. However, today the crash led to a blue screen and forced my system to restart. I'm running CCC 12.8 and have never used any other drivers since installing the card. Has anyone had a similar experienece?

EDIT: The black screens are actually dark gray vertical lines with colored 1-pixel wide vertical lines going through it.

Welcome to the world of black screens, and don't expect it to go away, I was under the impression 12.8 fixed it; guess not....

This is the main reason I RMA'ed my 7850 and seems to be dismissed by the ATi folk as a non issue.....

damn.

I just remembered the first time I got the gray screen made me LOL because I got it literally as I hit ENTER on SEND MESSAGE to my friend. My message was "My 7850 OCs like a beast!!!"

damn.

I just remembered the first time I got the gray screen made me LOL because I got it literally as I hit ENTER on SEND MESSAGE to my friend. My message was "My 7850 OCs like a beast!!!"

Haha....

Yeah it does suck, but if you decide to send it back at least the GTX 660 just released...It will do basically just as well as the 7850 oc'ed, but its not as fun to oc though, its power limit is also lower than the 660Ti.

I know there's some out there that say they haven't had a problem with this, yet there's plenty of us that have, and its been going on since release...

You can try forcing constant voltage, and turning off "monitor turn off"...

Last edited:
The crashes all occured with constant voltage because I was using TriXX (someone told me TriXX forces constant voltage). Interesting thing is, my card wasn't OCed at the time of the last 2 crashes. It was underclocked and undervolted: 430 core, 625 mem, -5 powertune, 835mV

what is "monitor turn off"...? I have checked the box for Disable ULPS already if that's what you're referring to.

These crashes are very different from the instability crashes I get with OCing. When I run Kombuster on a heavy OC and crash, the screen freezes before going black and I get a message saying the display driver crashed.

On the other hand, these gray screens with vertical lines/bars occur with mere Youtube usage. I'm going to run my card at stock speeds for a whle and see if it still gray screens. I think failing on stock speeds should warrant an RMA.

The crashes all occured with constant voltage because I was using TriXX (someone told me TriXX forces constant voltage). Interesting thing is, my card wasn't OCed at the time of the last 2 crashes. It was underclocked and undervolted: 430 core, 625 mem, -5 powertune, 835mV

what is "monitor turn off"...? I have checked the box for Disable ULPS already if that's what you're referring to.

These crashes are very different from the instability crashes I get with OCing. When I run Kombuster on a heavy OC and crash, the screen freezes before going black and I get a message saying the display driver crashed.

On the other hand, these gray screens with vertical lines/bars occur with mere Youtube usage. I'm going to run my card at stock speeds for a whle and see if it still gray screens. I think failing on stock speeds should warrant an RMA.

Having windows not sleep your monitor is what I meant....

The crashes are not caused by oc'ing AFIAK, it always happened to me at idle, or while browing the internet...

Have you turned off hardware acceleration, and are you using Chrome?!

Having windows not sleep your monitor is what I meant....

The crashes are not caused by oc'ing AFIAK, it always happened to me at idle, or while browing the internet...

Have you turned off hardware acceleration, and are you using Chrome?!

Ah ok. My power settings in Windows does not allow monitor to turn off.

I was looking into hardware acceleration as well. I'm using Opera and disabled Hardware Acceleration for now. Hopefully this is all just Opera's fault...

Ah ok. My power settings in Windows does not allow monitor to turn off.

I was looking into hardware acceleration as well. I'm using Opera and disabled Hardware Acceleration for now. Hopefully this is all just Opera's fault...

Well if it keeps happening, try switching browsers, and if it doesn't stop it just RMA the card.

Same settings and browsers here on my nVidia card, and haven't had it happen once, so I know its not my rig.

Just crashed while opening a youtube link. Only my main 1920x1200 display connected on the card's HDMI port experienced the crash. The 1280x1024 display on the DVI port remained intact.

This is what it looked like (not the vertical lines I got before):
ZtnyV.jpg

Settings were:
550 Core, 900 VRAM (stock is 975/1200)
Board Power +10
VDDC: 900mV (stock is 1.213V)

Just noticed that hardware acceleration was enabled...weird because I thought I disabled it last time when I had crashes.

EDIT:
As per this thread, I will make a note here as well that I think this is being caused by the HDMI port. I will have a miniDP cable to test out in a week or so. I have a few other DVI cables lying around somewhere but don't feel like pulling them out at the moment.

Thank you so much for the info! I found this thread googling for a similar issue with my 7850-OC. I have had my main monitor as HDMI->DVI and second monitor DVI->DVI. Just got a MDP->DVI hoping that clears it up.

Back