XFX 5870 ZND9 Grey screen - Legit Solution

Nibathy

Weaksauce
I had been experiencing the random grey screens (sometimes green or tan), but I also noticed a strange crackling/popping when watching hulu or other browser media players (audio and video through HDMI).

Like most people, in order to fix these problems I had tried everything from voltage tweaks, CCC Profiles, then finally just straight underclocking the CPU/RAM.

Underclocking did not FIX the issue, but it made my games playable with a greyscreen being rare, and did nothing for the popping noises (not present using TRS plug).

After contacting XFX, the first response they gave me was:

" If you are overclocking your CPU or system memory then revert back to the default frequencies. Download the 10.2 driver from http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx . Remove your previous display driver from Programs and Features in the ATI Catalyst Install Manager. Right click your desktop and select Catalyst Control Center. Select Graphics and go to ATI Overdrive. If this screen is grayed out then leave it. If you have already accepted the EULA and have enabled Overdrive than disable it. Remove any utilities capable of controlling clock frequencies like Rivatuner or Afterburner. Completely remove them from the system, not just disable. You want to run the card at our rated frequencies through these tests. Test again with the new driver if you are still seeing the same issue. If you are still having the same issue than right click your My Computer icon and select Manage. Go to System Tools\Device Manager\Sound. Disable all audio controllers in the system. If this resolves the problem than you can go back and enable them one at a time to see which is causing it. Let us know if you are still having an issue. Thank you. I have also sent a bios update to you. Though save the bios for last"

The BIOS he sent is named 587AZND3B.

At stock 875/1300 I was able to run Uningine Heaven and 3DMark Vantage without issue. The Card went in excess of 65c, where previously it would have issues.

Hope this helps any of you 5870 owners out there.

Can you post the bios? I got the exact same response from xfx the other day but without any mention of a bios update. I do have the znf9 and not the znd9 though which may be the difference.

That is how they sent it to me. I'm messing around atm to get the actual BIOS file out of it. I'm curious as to what changes they made.

*UPDATE*

After extracting the IMG file with 7-file and then extracting the BIN using Magic ISO, I can confirm that the BIOS are indeed the same (587AZD3B).

Also, the only changes I have noticed so far is the Powerplay setting being rearranged/changed.
Stock Overdrive settings are also 900/1250.

Been having the same issues on my XFX 5870 as well (same model number, ordered from TigerDirect).

I went ahead and updated my BIOS with the USB link you posted. Will give Bad Company 2 some time later to see if my GSOD issues have been resolved.

Bios Information from CCC, before and after the flash:

OLD: BIOS Part Number 113-587XZND12
NEW: BIOS Part Number 113-587AZNDV13B

Old version was dated mid November 09, new version is 02/23/10.

I honestly don't think the XFX ZND9 is having PCIe Linkstate issues.

First thing I did on my fresh install was set the power settings.
I am on Catalyst 10.2 (previously 10.3 beta w/crashes).
No Realtek drivers installed.

I would be curious to see what brand/model 5870 you are using as well as the BIOS version.

Would you mind adding that info Shuttleluv?

*UPDATE*

After extracting the IMG file with 7-file and then extracting the BIN using Magic ISO, I can confirm that the BIOS are indeed the same (587AZD3B).

Also, the only changes I have noticed so far is the Powerplay setting being rearranged/changed.
Stock Overdrive settings are also 900/1250.

thanks, I just got done making one up but will use this instead. I was more or less ranting that we are still using floppies for anything.

also I think I am going to have to start looking through the ATI forums more. I didn't see this anywhere on the main site (listed that is.

I was getting artifacting within a few minutes of BC2 until I set my clock speed back to the default 875 (as Nibathy noted, it is set to 900 by default now). Also note the memory scaled back to 1250 (default is 1300).

No GSOD as of yet, but it is still early.

Sapphire 5870 stock clocks, power play enabled, 10.2 drivers, 10.3 drivers, 10.3a drivers....doesn't matter. Stock bios, never modified.

Ok, so basically you're on a different Brand/model 5870 and cannot provide your BIOS version # (stock can vary, depending on what they are flashing it as at manufacture).

Thanks, that is all I wanted to confirm.

Anyone give this a try yet?

So far I have been stable at stock clocks, which is an improvement from underclock.

U want me to return my Q6600 to 2.4 GHz instead of my current, rock stable 3.6 GHz just so your card can work, ATI? LOL. No chance.

wow, your XFX 5870 has a Q6600 in it?:eek:

Stock graphics card clocks 875/1300..........

hmm I wonder if they have a non-overclocked version of that updated bios, stock 850/1200.

I'm sure they would. Unfortunately, I only received one specific for my card. If I see anything related to other versions of the card I will post it.

wow, your XFX 5870 has a Q6600 in it?:eek:

Stock graphics card clocks 875/1300..........

Reading comprehension FTW.

"If you are overclocking your CPU or system memory then revert back to the default frequencies."

Yea, scripted messages often tell you to do things that are not necessary. Put a little logic in before you nerdrage.

They don't want to RMA if they don't have to. They lose money each time they do. Just because YOUR OCed cpu is "rock solid stable" doesn't mean everybody's is.

Probably 2% of the RMA requests they get are people with driver compatability issues or just unstable OCs unrelated to the GPU.

That 2% is going to be an avoidable cost if they tell people to do things like; return to stock clocks on everything. reinstall the drivers, reinstall windows.

Sorry, not a "reading comprehension fail".....just a "knowledge of business practices fail" on your part.

Why even bother posting if your not going to contribute to the discussion. Friggin Nvidia fan boi troll.

Back