XFX 5870--video will freeze in full screen but audio contiues--what gives?

tordogs

Gawd
Enough already. Seems like since I got this card it has been awful about playing YouTube or any flash videos in full screen. The video will just hang on a frame but the audio continues to play. Even does it on the Heaven Benchmark. Plays OK in the small screen but if I open it to full screen it will play a while then hang and the background music keeps playing. At first it seemed like maybe it would go to a black screen or maybe reboot. Now it just keeps playing; if I hit Escape back to minimized screen it continues playing the video OK.

I have researched this at length but can't come up with the proper solution. Is it the 2D/3D PowerPlay thing, need more voltage, different clocks, different drivers or is this just a bad card that should have been RMA'd in the beginning? Hate how the clocks stay around 157/300 most of the time--think they used to default to 400/1200 but notice these lower figures as of late. It does ramp up when doing 3D. Anyone know what this means, have similar problems or can suggest something to try? Other than this very annoying detail I have been pleased with the ATI card. Thanks a bunch!

Well, in case I am the last to know, it seems what was needed was to uncheck hardware acceleration in Flash Player; seems to have cleared up the problem. Apparently, Radeon cards and drivers don't play well with hardware acceleration. Never had the situation arise with my Nvidia cards/drivers.

Only saw reference to the 10.1 betas today. Wondered if I should try them but am always afraid of the betas. If they are working for you think I will give them a shot. Did you have to disable hardware acceleration with previous Flash versions?

Thank you, thank you for the head's up on the Flash betas. Just installed, re-enabled hardware accleration and everything seems to work much better. For what it's worth, I have season tickets to the Berlin Philharmonic which streams in near-HD quality using a Flash utility. Just watched a performance of Brahm's Academic Festival Overture and not a hang or stutter throughout. The season tickets are not cheap so was getting just a bit perturbed at not being able to view it in full screen and feed it via HDMI to the big-screen tele. To this point my old GTX 285 was putting this AMD card to shame. Hope the betas continue to work. Question: what exactly is the rationale behind hardware accleration and is it particularly necessary? Thanks again.

Thank you, thank you for the head's up on the Flash betas. Just installed, re-enabled hardware accleration and everything seems to work much better. For what it's worth, I have season tickets to the Berlin Philharmonic which streams in near-HD quality using a Flash utility. Just watched a performance of Brahm's Academic Festival Overture and not a hang or stutter throughout. The season tickets are not cheap so was getting just a bit perturbed at not being able to view it in full screen and feed it via HDMI to the big-screen tele. To this point my old GTX 285 was putting this AMD card to shame. Hope the betas continue to work. Question: what exactly is the rationale behind hardware accleration and is it particularly necessary? Thanks again.

Hardware acceleration of Flash is meant for low power desktops, laptops, and netbooks. Since high quality high-def flash can take more power than lower power CPUs can deliver, and since GPUs are so good at decoding video, it's a great solution

Back