XFinity 500w - $56

malicious

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.overcool.com/Exec/produc...6&item_id=34788&userid=53555708560626&redir=1

cheers,

mal

edit: 62.95 to my door -

edit2: seen these for 29.99 after rebate from radioshack though

10% DISCOUNT WOOT!!!!!!

deal7cp.jpg

I purchased one a while back.. and it recently shit out on me. It worked great for a while, but then I was playing Q4 and my computer just restarted.. then the little dialog came up that says your graphics card is either unplugged or not getting enough power. :( So then I went with the OCZ PowerStream (520watt).. no problems since. Its real unfortunate too.. I liked the disconnectable cables of the XFinity.

are you sure you're not talking about the x-connect or x2 .. xfinity is not modular

wiretap said:
I purchased one a while back.. and it recently shit out on me. It worked great for a while, but then I was playing Q4 and my computer just restarted.. then the little dialog came up that says your graphics card is either unplugged or not getting enough power. :( So then I went with the OCZ PowerStream (520watt).. no problems since. Its real unfortunate too.. I liked the disconnectable cables of the XFinity.

Yeah, if your x-finity cables were disconnecting you would be having a major malfunction since it's not modular.

The x-connect is considered to be a poor PSU so I wouldn't be surprised if it took a dive.

wonkman said:
Yeah, if your x-finity cables were disconnecting you would be having a major malfunction since it's not modular.

The x-connect is considered to be a poor PSU so I wouldn't be surprised if it took a dive.

only the first x-connect units that were made by youngyear were poor ..

Nice, I was about to buy a PSU from someone else on these forums, but then you saved me! I fuckin' love you, man! And they ship to Canada! BONUS!

Code:
PSU:       $50.36
Shipping:  $13.00
Total:     $63.36
Hot deals: Priceless

EDIT: Er, actually, how reputable is this site? I don't want to pay with credit card if it's not trustworthy.

malicious said:

But I believe that the second generation x-connect was renamed "X2" so people wouldn't confuse the poor one with the new one.

So technically all X-Connects are poop while X2s are not.

Edit: I see on Ultra's site that they are using an X-Connect logo with a "2" over it so even though "X-Connect" is no longer used in the name of the new product, it is still used in the marketing. They should have just dropped the X-Connect name completely since it had so many issues and come up with a new name so people wouldn't lump the two together.

S_G said:
Nice, I was about to buy a PSU from someone else on these forums, but then you saved me! I fuckin' love you, man! And they ship to Canada! BONUS!

Code:
PSU:       $50.36
Shipping:  $13.00
Total:     $63.36
Hot deals: Priceless

EDIT: Er, actually, how reputable is this site? I don't want to pay with credit card if it's not trustworthy.

a good credit card is the best way to portect yourself

wonkman said:
But I believe that the second generation x-connect was renamed "X2" so people wouldn't confuse the poor one with the new one.

So technically all X-Connects are poop while X2s are not.

Edit: I see on Ultra's site that they are using an X-Connect logo with a "2" over it so even though "X-Connect" is no longer used in the name of the new product, it is still used in the marketing. They should have just dropped the X-Connect name completely since it had so many issues and come up with a new name so people wouldn't lump the two together.

I don't know what you're looking at but they still sell the x-connect(nothing to do with 2 anywhere) and the X2 which are two completely different units.

malicious said:
I don't know what you're looking at but they still sell the x-connect(nothing to do with 2 anywhere) and the X2 which are two completely different units.

That's exactly my point.

X-Connect = Bad
X2 =Good

2 different products.

Therefore there is no "good" version of the "X-Connect".

you said:

If you are saying that Ultra switched suppliers on the "X-Connect" from Youngyear to someone else mid-production and now the "X-Connects" are good, then this is something I am unaware of and further complicates the issue because you don't know whether you are getting a retailer's old stock made by Youngyear or the newer supplier. My opinion would be to avoid all "X-Connects" because of the history of problems on the Youngyear units and buy an "X2" if you like Ultra's modular PSUs.

Then I conceded the point that it's easy for people to confuse the "X-Connect" with the "X2" because of THIS logo even though the 2nd generation product is not named "X-Connect". My "suggestion" was for Ultra to abandon the "X-Connect" name so as to avoid discussions like this one.

BTW, for those interested in the deal, I bought the X-Finity 500 Radio Shack sale and it's working great. Quiet and seemingly well built. Flexforce cables are easy to work with and look good. UV reflective for modders. PSU gets good reviews from people who like to open up power supplies and investigate.

ok yea

i agree .. i would never buy an x connect even if they are made by new oem .. not bec their not good units but bec the price to value ratio for x2 and xfinity is way higher .. xconnect still uses 80mms so ........

you almost can't beat the value of xfinity 500w for 60 bones..

mal

yea marketing flubed on that logo

I got one when radio shack had them on sale for 29.99. I got it, installed it, and it died on me in three days. It was running a basic 3500+ system with a tv capture card and a evga 7800gt.

I'm still waiting for my RMA label from radio shack. I called them to see where it was and they told me to wiat some more......

I went out and got an antec and couldn't have been happier. CompUsa, antec 400w FTW.

I had a x-connect 500w, but I gave it to my brother for his file server computer.
this was the x-finity.. and no, it wasn't disconnecting.. the thing just wasn't putting out the right amount of power. Its like part of it died.. :confused: honestly, I wouldn't trust this brand.. get a quality power supply to run the computer since proper voltages and dependable voltages are necessary when running your pc to avoid damage or non-functionality.

edit: yes, if you look on Ultra's website.. you will see they are in the second generation of the x-finity, so they might have fixed the problems. but mine was a 1st gen with the modular cables.

wiretap said:
edit: yes, if you look on Ultra's website.. you will see they are in the second generation of the x-finity, so they might have fixed the problems. but mine was a 1st gen with the modular cables.

This seems to be the X-Finity 1st generation and it is not modular either so I'm not sure which one you had. If it was modular, I'm still thinking you had an X-Connect because AFAIK the X-Connect and the current X2 are the only modular PSUs tha Ultra has made.

In any event, if you had a modular X-Finity, it is not the one in the deal above and each PSU must be judged on it's own merits even if they come from the same company. As I said above, the Ultra X-Connect is a poor PSU But the X-Finity second generation is a good one.

wonkman said:
This seems to be the X-Finity 1st generation and it is not modular either so I'm not sure which one you had. If it was modular, I'm still thinking you had an X-Connect because AFAIK the X-Connect and the current X2 are the only modular PSUs tha Ultra has made.

In any event, if you had a modular X-Finity, it is not the one in the deal above and each PSU must be judged on it's own merits even if they come from the same company. As I said above, the Ultra X-Connect is a poor PSU But the X-Finity second generation is a good one.

QFT

i'm not surprised

WINTECH makes great PSUs ... Where as YOUNGYEAR didn't in the very first units ULTRA retailed.. man i get sick hearing about how crappy the ultras are when in fact they represent one of the best values in PSUs today ..

mal

I have two of the Xfinity 600w PSU's that also got great ratings from johnny and they work great, although they're a bit longer because they use dual 8cm fans instead of the 12cm for improved airflow. Picked up another one at Fry's last night for $50 AR. (normal price $100, onsale for $75, $25 rebate).

First one I got when they were just released and nothing but solid stability so far. It's somewhat of a beast as far as size and weight with the biggest caps and heatsinks I've seen on a PSU but I don't recall any other good review of an affordable PSU that could sustain tight rails at full 590W+ loads even with heavy crossloads. If you have a high powered SLI rig with 18 drives, I would go with the 600w beast if there's a Fry's near you... and if you don't have a weeny mini case that can fit it :)

I know, a little off topic but might help a few people out.

it's not off topic ...

The 500w model is more efficient and quiter w/ 120mm and can be had for 60 bucks

these things are as good as any antec, fortron, etc...

not as good as seasonic, enhance, zippy, pc&pc, etc...

but i don't want to pay $50-$100 more for a PSU that is maybe 5% better ...

bang for you buck = mal's motto

i agree, for most systems the 500w is probably a better option with a quieter fan, small footprint, and better efficiency. It wouldnt benefit my system much since I have a huge case with 3 noisier than average 120mm fans, fast and noisy cpu fan, that makes plenty of noise regardless of what PSU I put in it. So for me the extra juice was worth sacrificing a normal sized PSU and low noise. $50AR for this beast was also too good to pass up.

i had the 500w x-finity. I'll say it again, it was junk. I didn't like the wires, and it craped out in three days running minimal components.

Firewall said:
i had the 500w x-finity. I'll say it again, it was junk. I didn't like the wires, and it craped out in three days running minimal components.

was it the first gen or the second gen

malicious said:
was it the first gen or the second gen

2nd. Maybe I just got a bad one, who knows. It did look cool. It was sorta loud, but I'm coming from a loud ass wc system so it wasn't bad.

finally worked up the nerve to order it and WAM got 10% discount that i didn't know was coming

deal7cp.jpg

man i like this place

Just to add my .02. I have the 2nd gen XFinity 500watt and it's GREAT! No issues what so ever and if I ever have issues it has a lifetime warranty.
Got mine for $19.99 :D :D :D

that deal was so sweet sorry i missed it

i think this is as good as it gets without all the damn rebates ... cheapest i've found elsewhere is around ~65 ~70 or so...

mal

I ordered the 500W X-Finity too... sucks that the damn shipping is taking forever. Its been delayed twice due to a LATE TRAIN? wtf?

Back