Xeon W3540 or I7 950?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EVGA-Team

n00b
Well, I am unsure to go with the Xeon family or the desktop CPU.

They say the Xeon's are sligtly binned higher, but waiting for the NEW 950 is taking forever,

Would you continue to wait for the 950 or just buy the Xeon W3540?

Thanks!

Go with the W3540. 50 posts in order to post on the For Sale thread is harsh!

Well, I am unsure to go with the Xeon family or the desktop CPU.

They say the Xeon's are sligtly binned higher, but waiting for the NEW 950 is taking forever,

Would you continue to wait for the 950 or just buy the Xeon W3540?

Thanks!

If the Xeon's are binned higher, does that mean that they can overclock more?

What about the Xeon counterpar to the i7 920?

Thanks,

x509

I know a guy who builds extreme 1366 systems, and he always says the Xeons are tougher and easier to OC. I purchased my processor from him.

Whats the big difference between the Xeon and the i7's then? Just easier to OC? Would there be a reason to not go for a Xeon? Gaming perhaps?

Yes, 50 posts is hard. Im trying my best to keep my posts relevant to get the required numbers :)

Whats the big difference between the Xeon and the i7's then? Just easier to OC? Would there be a reason to not go for a Xeon? Gaming perhaps?

Yes, 50 posts is hard. Im trying my best to keep my posts relevant to get the required numbers :)

Welcome to the [H]! :)

The Xeon is the workstation-class CPU.

That's about it...

other then:

Xeons support dual CPU setups (8core, 16thread!)
whereas the i7 does not

I was doing that too, but I was only at 20 posts after 2 months. Ugh.

If I were building my rig from scratch today, I would buy a 920 from Microcenter if I were in a rush, but if I had more time, I would troll Ebay/HardForum, etc. and pick up a good Xeon. They seem to fly under the radar, as I just saw a W3540 sell for $325 on Ebay. As long as the person has good feedback, and you purchase the CPU with your credit card for dispute rights (through Paypal), you should be safe. I have never purchased a bad used CPU from Ebay using those simple rules.

Everything I have read, there is no difference between the i7 and W3XXX Xeons except the Xeons allow ECC memory, as long as you are at the same clock speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back