Xeon Questions

Skud

Gawd
I'm looking at picking up an ASUS PC-DL Deluxe and a couple of Xeons.

The Motherboard will be new, but I'd like to get the CPU's off ebay.

I saw a matched pair of 2.2/512/400fsb chips. I'm assuming these are based off the Northwood core? If so, then what are my chances of bumping the FSB to 533?

I've also heard that Xeon CPU's are only partially locked in that you can lower the multiplier, but not raise it. Is this true as well?

Thanks!!
Riley

All Xeon's have multipliers unlock downwards... As long as the BIOS allows it, you can clock down the CPUs. The classic Xeon overclocker to bring the FSB up from 400MHz to 533MHz, which will give you a 33% overclock! Not bad, eh?

With a pair of 2.2GHz, you should comfortably able to achieve 2.93GHz with a 533MHz FSB (22x133). However, if you get lucky, you can go beyond that. It is generally agree that with the right kind of cooling, it is entirely possible to bring the C1 or D1 Xeons up to around 3.2GHz or there about. However, I'm sure you'd know that the gains in bandwidth that comes with a higher FSB is often better than gaining the extra couple of MHz...

So, let's say in theory, you can only get your CPUs up to 3.06GHz and you memory and chipset can handle 166MHz (DDR333, 667MHz FSB), I think the performance of 3GHz (18x166) will be better than 3.06GHz (23x133)... ;)

I personally don't have any first hand experience with the PC-DL Deluxe so I can't really say... But here is a rather lively thread over at the 2CPU.com forums on it... ;)

This is a thread on the DPI533...

Back