XEON for gaming

about the same as a 3.2e, maybe a little slower due to the use of registered RAM.

probably a little less than an a64 3000+.

andrew911tt said:
If i were to get a system with duel intel Xeon EMT64 3.2 Nocona 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 604 Processor what kind of gaming would that give me?

Would it be like a AMD 64 3000+ stock, or less or more?

For gaming right now, you are really better of going with a high clock speed single processor a64.

Intels fall behind the amd's and dual processors aren't going to help you much with gaming. Too little support right now.
When dual core gets more popular in new systems, then games may start catching on. But it may take at least a year for that to happen.

mobiux said:
For gaming right now, you are really better of going with a high clock speed single processor a64.

Intels fall behind the amd's and dual processors aren't going to help you much with gaming. Too little support right now.
When dual core gets more popular in new systems, then games may start catching on. But it may take at least a year for that to happen.

the computer is not for gaming it is for auto cad and photoshop. I was just wondering if in my free time i wanted to put a game on there how would it stack up

lithium726 said:
about the same as a 3.2e, maybe a little slower due to the use of registered RAM.
Note that registered RAM requirements are a function of the chipset, and many xeon chipsets do not require registered RAM, such as those based on the ICH5/6300 combo.

andrew911tt said:
the computer is not for gaming it is for auto cad and photoshop. I was just wondering if in my free time i wanted to put a game on there how would it stack up
You would be fine gaming on it. Just don't expect any miracles... Also, if you plan on using a workstation card like a quadro be aware that those really kill the framerates... Though you can use 3rd party drivers to get most of that back.

Vertigo Acid said:
Note that registered RAM requirements are a function of the chipset, and many xeon chipsets do not require registered RAM, such as those based on the ICH5/6300 combo.

QFT

The ASUS PC-DL will not even boot with Registered ECC. It actually perfers regular old unbuffered non-ECC. That Intel Chipset thing.

ECC != Registered/Buffered. ECC is optional on both the NCCH-DL and PC-DL, and Reg/buff is not supported at all.

I'm quite aware of the difference, I was just stating that asus' sites lists ecc as a requirement for the hardware of that board.

Back