Xeon E5 2600 v3 - how long before the next stepping?

petreza

n00b
Intel just released the v3 (Haswell based) of the Xeon E5 2600-series which was supposed to include the TSX (Transactional Synchronization Extensions) of the Haswell architecture but because there was a bug in the implementation of TSX, the feature will be disabled in the first stepping.
How long does it usually take for Intel to prepare a new stepping?

What do you hope TSX will do for you?

right now nothing but hopefully some daaay ......<drifts off into blissful dreamy state>
<comes back from a blissful dreamy state>..... considering that intel officially announced the errata and the "fix" around August 12, which means they must have known about it for some time and been working on a real fix, by now it already has been "some few months".
I don't need a new setup immediately and am willing to wait some fewer months more to get the stepping with the fix in.
I just didn't know approximately how long that takes.

How will you know which stepping you are going to get when you place an order? Last time I paid for a retail xeon CPU the stepping code was not on the box - I just got what the store had at the front of the pile when I placed the order.

How will you know which stepping you are going to get when you place an order? Last time I paid for a retail xeon CPU the stepping code was not on the box - I just got what the store had at the front of the pile when I placed the order.

Well, I am sure that there will be a way to know you are getting the right stepping - after all, there are large companies that will start using TSX and they will want to know.

Back