Xeon E3-1225 vs i7-3770K

DeaconFrost

[H]F Junkie
So, I'm just about done building a home ESXi box built around an i7-3770K. I see a Dell deal on a PowerEdge T30 with a single Xeon E3-1225. On the surface, I am thinking the i7 would be a better bet, as it support HT. However, would I be better off going with more Enterprise-level hardware?

I am planning to only have 2-5 VMs on the box. Just enough to play around with.

So, I'm just about done building a home ESXi box built around an i7-3770K. I see a Dell deal on a PowerEdge T30 with a single Xeon E3-1225. On the surface, I am thinking the i7 would be a better bet, as it support HT. However, would I be better off going with more Enterprise-level hardware?

Generally i7 will be fine. The only problem will be if you will want to use pci-e passthrough - K series CPU wll not support it.

Unless you're doing something specialized where you need a certain feature stick with the i7.

Depends on the board. Also I know the K chips back then lacked certain VT features... The non K chips had everything enabled..

Have you thought about what you want future wise?

In general, it won't matter .... or it would depend on if those 2-5 VMs are CPU intensive.
In my own lab..nothing was CPU intensive and i could not tell the difference in performance between my CPUs with HT and those without.
I'm not talking benchmarks .. just in use in my lab.

If you are just about done (cpu is only component left??) no point in switching now, but
you'd be hard pressed to find a fully functional (new) system for $300.
The CPU + 8GB RAM could run about $300+ new.

Back