Xeon base workstation motherboard?

trumee

n00b
Hello,

Can somebody recommend me a work station motherboard. I am looking for the following features:

1. IPMI support
  2. Need plenty of PCIE ports for Graphics card, 10GBe card
  3. Intel Xeon based system with ECC support for ZFS file system
  4. Integrated sound card
  5. Well supported under Linux
Thanks

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That is kinda nifty. Go plug it in and give us a quick review!!!
I'll try to remember to bring it up with me later tonight and plug it in, it's been sitting on my speaker in the garage since August 26th.

All of a sudden SuperMicro is my new friend if that lil rascal works well. Especially with WinServer 2XXX and Linux.

I am using a Sennheiser USB headset on my server right now, it basically has this type of dongle on a cable with 3.5mm females on it and it works great.
I would have used that but I didn't want to keep unplugging the Sennheiser adapter if I wanted to use the headset, so I got the Plugable one for the speakers, which are sitting down here with me as well, need to get those moved upstairs.

Look at the 4th pic on this link,
SENNHEISER PC 135 3.5mm/ USB Connector Supra-aural Gaming Headset-Newegg.com

I did buy a Soundblaster ZX to use on the server from a member here, but my little brother came by and saw the box on my desk and wanted it really badly, so I sold it to him.

I did buy a Soundblaster ZX to use on the server from a member here, but my little brother came by and saw the box on my desk and wanted it really badly, so I sold it to him.
Windows Server, SoundBlaster & myself have never gotten along well. Gave up on them back in Win NT/2000 days and never looked back.

I can't recall having issues with any SB cards I had in the past. Had an AWE64 Gold and Audigy 2 back in the day.

Ideally I want to stay away from USB based sound cards since most high-end boards dont have a lot of usb ports. What Supermicro boards are recommended?

The Supermicro X10SRA-F board seems to have what i am after. However, possible downside of this board is lack of USB2 ports. It only has onboard USB3 ports. In my experience Linux support of USB3 has been flaky so USB2 is more preferable. Anybody has experience of this board in Linux?

The other potential choice is Supermicro X10SRL-F which doesnt include an integrated sound card. This board has both USB2 and USB3 ports. However, it doesnt have a PCIE-3 x16 slot unlike the X10SRA. Will that be limitation for modern graphics cards? In addition it has a separate RJ45 port for IPMI unlike the X10SRA-F which has a shared ethernet/ipmi port.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back