Xeon 1660 V3 8 core 3ghz "QEYZ" close to 5960X

tps3443

n00b
Hey everyone, I am looking at buying this processor locally.

It is a Intel Xeon Haswell EP 1660 V3 8 core CPU 3ghz base, and a 3.2ghz turbo. It is a engineering sample, and in cup id, and Aida64, it list that the max multiplier ratio is X56 and the CPU is unlocked. Although, on the msi X99 board it was running on, allowed no such thing in the uefi bios .

Obviously at $450 I don't care if It can overclock or not. This is a great CPU at stock speeds!

But, this seems strange, some say they are unlocked. This one says the same thing in AIDA64 . It is a intel QEYZ chip.

I do not have my own X99 board yet. But, if there is a chance which one should I get for this Xeon version of a 5960X.

Last edited:
I haven't seen any engineering sample Intel E5-16XX processors that could be multiplier overclocked.

The retail versions of the E5-16XX are actually multiplier unlocked, and can be overclocked that way.

Last edited:
It's not a E5-1660v3 equivalent. ES chips generally are not single socket versions. That's also very early silicon, so still a few generations away from retail. You won't be able to overclock it.

Also, while some E5-16xx CPUs are unlocked, not all are. Generally only the ones that have Core i7 equivalents.

QEYZ stepping pulls up 1660 v3 on Intel website, which is what is stamped on the cpu. Base is 3ghz and boost is actually 3.2ghz.

How is this not identical to a 1660 v3? Or a 5960X? Sorry but I'm gonna have say you guys were wrong on this one. This is a 1660-V3

I have the CPU with me. I just got home with it.

Last edited:
It doesn't (it being the first hit on Google doesn't mean it's actually posted, just what everyone else links to). 4 letter codes are reserved for ES CPUs. Retail ones use 5 letter codes and an E5-1660v3 would be SR20N. Intel doesn't publicly publish details of ES CPUs like that. If you have a link where the QEYZ code is posted, please share.

It may be similar, but it is not an E5-1660v3. As I mentioned, ES CPUs tend to be dual socket variants and none are unlocked anymore. Going by what I'm seeing on eBay, it's closer to an E5-2667v3.

Either way, such early silicon isn't really recommended.

I have a QFGH 14 core ES, and it is (sadly) locked down. It also won't budge in Baseclock, either.

Why, that's nice.

Can you overclock it in BIOS via multiplier or not?

If not, well, we're all right and you're kidding yourself that it's as good as a retail chip.

If you never overclock, it probably is close to being as good as the retail version for your purposes. Close, but not *quite* there - unless it is a Qualification Sample (QS) as those are basically retail versions.

I could control multiplier in the guys bios I picked it up from as high as I want. But, it would not post in windows. This is what I am having a hard time understanding. It would just say 3ghz in windows.

Maybe, the bios type? Or board type?

I thought the multiplier on a 2600 is like locked locked and you can only go as high as turbo allows.

But I could adjust to for example x46 each core but it just didn't apply the setting.

Yes, that is exactly what happens with a locked multiplier chip in a motherboard that supports multiplier overclocking.

You can set the multiplier to what you want, but the chip stays at what multiplier it is rated for - no higher.

I had the same option with an ES 2690 V4 - I could set whatever multiplier that I wanted, but it never actually went higher than what it is rated for. Your chip is doing the same thing, and is obviously multiplier locked as well.

It also says the speed in the bios lol. It said Intel Xeon V3 8 core haswell EP 4,599mhz after restart in bios very strange

I've got several boosted up xeons. And
I have purchased several ES chips on eBay, I've got a 2687W @ 4.066ghz, and (2) Xeon 2680's over 3.2ghz, and my 3970X at 5ghz.

I was going to take a chance on this chip, I my self look at what is on eBay, and have only seen one other 1660 V3 like mine on there. Several E5 2600's as you say yes.

Worst case scenario I have something that will clock to 32X multiplier and depending on which X99 board I get a 105 bclk. So, I have a 5960X with a 5-6% performance increase. Accept, ecc support, and all of the other nifty Xeon features.

And at $450.00 it is not a half bad value. People pay $611.99 for a 1650v3 6 core to run it a stock speeds and they do not even realize it is unlocked.

Now so far I could control the multi as much as I wanted in bios. If it were locked would I be able to do that?

If only someone figured out a way to short certain pins to unlock ANY multiplier... I would probably kill for that knowledge...

It also says the speed in the bios lol. It said Intel Xeon V3 8 core haswell EP 4,599mhz after restart in bios very strange

I've got several boosted up xeons. And
I have purchased several ES chips on eBay, I've got a 2687W @ 4.066ghz, and (2) Xeon 2680's over 3.2ghz, and my 3970X at 5ghz.

I was going to take a chance on this chip, I my self look at what is on eBay, and have only seen one other 1660 V3 like mine on there. Several E5 2600's as you say yes.

Worst case scenario I have something that will clock to 32X multiplier and depending on which X99 board I get a 105 bclk. So, I have a 5960X with a 5-6% performance increase. Accept, ecc support, and all of the other nifty Xeon features.

And at $450.00 it is not a half bad value. People pay $611.99 for a 1650v3 6 core to run it a stock speeds and they do not even realize it is unlocked.

Now so far I could control the multi as much as I wanted in bios. If it were locked would I be able to do that?

If you set a higher multiplier and it won't boot, no matter if it is 1 step higher and with increased voltage, then the same holds true.

It's locked down.

If it weren't, increasing the voltage should at least get you to Windows with only 1 step higher.

I could control multiplier in the guys bios I picked it up from as high as I want. But, it would not post in windows. This is what I am having a hard time understanding. It would just say 3ghz in windows.

Maybe, the bios type? Or board type?

I thought the multiplier on a 2600 is like locked locked and you can only go as high as turbo allows.

But I could adjust to for example x46 each core but it just didn't apply the setting.

the chip is locked...

I've got the chip running at X34 multiplier with a 106mhz bclk. I'm still at stock voltage, the best I could get was 3,604 mhz on all 8 cores with hyper threading on.

I'm using a cheap $135 X99 board.

Is there a X99 board that allows extreme bclk overclocking?

The QEYZ is out of my hands now! I sold it as a Xeon 1660 V3 8 core. With a locked multiplier. It seems alot of people do not care, if they are after it for just the 8 cores and Xeon features.

ok so I am confused now. I sold this CPU to my brother, he said running a low BCLK can cause instability! for example 102, 103 or even 105 mhz. And there is a certain BCLK strap that has to be achieved. And with X99 motherboards it is 100 Mhz/ 125 Mhz/ and 176 Mhz.

HE is running a 125 Mhz BCLK , on the 32 multiplier. He is running at the effective 4,000mhz on all 8 cores. With very little voltage added.

Holy crap, I had that exact cpu with that etching in it. I returned it via a paypal dispute to the seller because its obviously not unlocked, you cant even under clock it. All you could do was bclk at 105. If you don't plan on overclocking it wouldn't be such a bad deal, but the guy selling it pretty much hinted that it would work. BTW I only paid 425 ;)
IMG_1456.JPG

I haven't seen any engineering sample Intel E5-16XX processors that could be multiplier overclocked.

The retail versions of the E5-16XX are actually multiplier unlocked, and can be overclocked that way.

Hi
I am interested in your statement that the E516xx can be overclocked.
Due to MB issues , Intel were checking some things and recommended that I use Intels's XTU program to monitor the CPU.
I noticed the first time I used it, it said this cpu can be overclocked its a E5 1650 V3. But the all the controls were greyed out. The second time I used it it said this cpu can not be overclocked. Same thing happened withthe second E5 1650 V3.

I asked Intel support what was the story on this. They said it physically could not be overclocked, not recommended and also physicslly impossible ...meven if XTU malfunctioned, and let tou the cpu would not let it happen.

Just interested how you did this?

Imam not reslly into overclocking, actuslly I liked the reassurance that if I accidentally clicked snything - it would not speed up.
Thanks.

I can't speak to Intel's software - I've never used it.

I've got my E5-1650V2 multiplier overclocked to 4.5GHz (45X multiplier) within my EVGA X79 Dark's motherboard BIOS. It's the same one as is in my signature for my backup rig.

I've also read, and seen screenshots, of folks with a 1650V3 multiplier overclocked. It is possible as long as the motherboard supports it.

Just to comment, I own both a retail E5-1660v3 (currently running at 4.2 GHZ at 42 multiplier), and a E5-1650v3 which I can run at 4.4 with a multiplier of 44. So I can state they are multiplier unlocked and OC quite easy.

I will also add, I just recently sent back an E5-1650v4 I ordered (Broadwell-E) that did NOT overclock via multiplier. Not sure if it is just a premature BIOS, or actually locked chip. But regardless what I set the multiplier to, it always ran at 3.6 (36 multi).

All on an Asus X99-E WS USB 3.1

Keep in mind, I bought (and returned) a Xeon E5-1650v4 and it was locked. So even if the 1660v4 is 600 cheaper, you likely wont be able to OC it, unlike the 6950x.

Just to comment, I own both a retail E5-1660v3 (currently running at 4.2 GHZ at 42 multiplier), and a E5-1650v3 which I can run at 4.4 with a multiplier of 44. So I can state they are multiplier unlocked and OC quite easy.

I will also add, I just recently sent back an E5-1650v4 I ordered (Broadwell-E) that did NOT overclock via multiplier. Not sure if it is just a premature BIOS, or actually locked chip. But regardless what I set the multiplier to, it always ran at 3.6 (36 multi).

All on an Asus X99-E WS USB 3.1

This is really unfortunate news. The E5-16xx chips were the only ones capable of supporting ECC RAM and overclocking. I assume this was a retail chip? Also, could anyone else confirm this with another motherboard/CPU configuration?

I can confirm that all E5-1600 V4 chips are now hard locked just like the E5-2600 series...:(

Intel didn't appreciate my argument that there has been no reliability/abuse issue with having past E5-1600 chips unlocked when I was strongly advocating that the top E5-2600 series SKUs be unlocked.

So, now we want to overclock, seems we're gonna have to pay through the nose for it just cause :) - Good way to promote the 6950x.

Last edited:
Intel has shooting themselves in the foot down to a fine art.

How many generations do you think it will take for them to reverse that multiplier lock?

And, was it tested on multiple motherboards? Some manufacturers like EVGA have been skimping on Xeon compatibility - which could easily filter over to not allowing an unlocked multiplier.

Not really. People looking for unlocked processors is already a tiny minority of their sales. Those hoping for these specific Xeons to be unlocked is a tiny majority of that. Intel really doesn't care because it doesn't affect their bottom line at all.

Intel has shooting themselves in the foot down to a fine art.

How many generations do you think it will take for them to reverse that multiplier lock?

And, was it tested on multiple motherboards? Some manufacturers like EVGA have been skimping on Xeon compatibility - which could easily filter over to not allowing an unlocked multiplier.

As many generations as it takes AMD to release a dual capable, ECC capable part that's unlocked. Also, it doesn't matter the motherboard that's used...the processors themselves are hardlocked.

Back