Xeon 1650 v4 - Q Good for CAD, Sketchup and Overnight Rendering?

Bikerchris

n00b
Hello all,

First post on this site, strange this is that I can't see a description of the forum, although it's clear what's been spoken about!

So I Use AutoCAD full time, Sketchup 1/4 time and I'm well in need of an upgrade as it's been around 4 years since the last one (details at the bottom FYI).

I've got no intention to OC as this has to be a reliable workstation rig, it'll also be active 24 hours a day as I will use it to render multiple visual stills and movies over night. Because of this I thought the Xeon 1650 v4 would be a good move, mainly for the industrial strength but also because this model has Turbo up to 4GHz, which will be useful for CAD and single threaded processes.

Am I making the right decision then? Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Gman1979

Gawd
That's a solid choice as far as # of cores and their clock speed. I really don't think you'd be disappointed.

Bikerchris

n00b
That's a solid choice as far as # of cores and their clock speed. I really don't think you'd be disappointed.
Thanks for that Gman. It would have been nice to either have a few more cores, or get a dual core machine for properly knocking those renders out, but I've not found a high clock speed CPU that can also dual CPU onto a motherboard. Mind you, that could have been limited by price more than anything!

Thanks though, much appreciated.

Gman1979

Gawd
Thanks for that Gman. It would have been nice to either have a few more cores, or get a dual core machine for properly knocking those renders out, but I've not found a high clock speed CPU that can also dual CPU onto a motherboard. Mind you, that could have been limited by price more than anything!

Thanks though, much appreciated.

I know the feeling. Many times I have wished Intel would have just released a line of Xeons with more cores and higher clocks with an enthusiast level TDP increase. More cores can be fun but not if single threaded stuff has to suffer :(

Bikerchris

n00b
I know the feeling. Many times I have wished Intel would have just released a line of Xeons with more cores and higher clocks with an enthusiast level TDP increase. More cores can be fun but not if single threaded stuff has to suffer :(
Exactly, so far as I know, the programmes I use are mostly single threaded...I guess in a perfect world we would have a dual CPU machine, with one CPU with 4+GHz dual core +HT and the other could be a 12 core 2GHz or something similar. I'd probably have something like that! :)