Xeon 1155 Sandy Bridge in Z68 Motherboard?

aphexcoil

Limp Gawd
Would it be possible to put a Xeon chip into a 1155 motherboard (Gigabyte, ASUS, etc.) designed for a consumer Sandy Bridge chip?

For example, the Intel Xeon E3-1230?

Thanks.

Yes I'm pretty sure people have been doing that already.

Note sure why you would want to do that with the prices of the 2500K's.

Yes I'm pretty sure people have been doing that already.

Note sure why you would want to do that with the prices of the 2500K's.

It's $50 cheaper than the i2600k for the same number of threads with a lower TDP because it doesn't have an on-board graphics chip. Perfect for a server where video is not required while still maintaining i2600k performance at a lower TDP.

It's $50 cheaper than the i2600k for the same number of threads with a lower TDP because it doesn't have an on-board graphics chip. Perfect for a server where video is not required while still maintaining i2600k performance at a lower TDP.

you can't OC the xeon though.... no onboard graphics means you still need a video card (P67 or Z68) mobo, which you can OC on

unless somehow you can run this only on H67 headless entirely, which i doubt

reviving an old thread to find out if anyone knows anything new regarding E3 Xeon's in a non-server mb.

ASUS P8B-X supports them, the board costs more so the processor savings is offset. the only advantage the xeon has is the extra instruction sets that disabled on the 2600k. obviously there is no overclocking without an es version of the chip. the operating frequency is also slower on the xeon vs the 2600k. the xeon is a 3.2 (3.6) chip versus the 3.4 (3.8) 2600k

The Asus P8B is using our C206 chipset which is a entry level server board. I know that Intel® will not be support any server based processors on our desktop board offically. I don't know if any of the other motherboard manufacturers will be adding support but I would think they wouldn't.

Xeon works in desktop boards, but you only get the additional features in server/workstation boards.

Xeon works in desktop boards, but you only get the additional features in server/workstation boards.

Also, except for hyperniche uses, there's no real advantage in any way/shape/form to go with an E3-12xx (any of them), vs. an equivalent i7 or even i5 (I'm talking non-k versions of i5 and i7), let alone the k-variants.

I built a E3-1235 in a MSI Z68 board. Only features i didnt get from the server chip was ECC and AMT. Runs great. Best thing is it was cheaper.

Seems like a sweet way to go if you dont need the onboard graphics or plan on overclocking.

Seems like a sweet way to go if you dont need the onboard graphics or plan on overclocking.

You can get onboard graphics too, in the E3-1235.

Also, except for hyperniche uses, there's no real advantage in any way/shape/form to go with an E3-12xx (any of them), vs. an equivalent i7 or even i5 (I'm talking non-k versions of i5 and i7), let alone the k-variants.

FEWER MONIES! :D

Well except that you can use the xeon's ECC memory controller. I'm looking at this to replace my old core 2 duo download box, which pretty much gets used for everything since it's always on.

I know Supermicro makes some boards that support ECC, since the controller is on the chip though, shouldn't it work in any board that will recognize the xeon?

(rez'd an old one there didn't I)

Back