Xeon 1.6 LV Pin C3 Insulating Tips Wanted

elcheapopc

Limp Gawd
Like many I jumped on the xeon deal from the hot deals.

In order to get the 1.55V necessary to post at 200 FSB the pin C3 must either be cut off or insulated..

Anyone have any experience in this area? What's a good way to insulate since I'm a bit leery of cutting the pin off.

you do not need to insulate or break pin.

There are a couple u-wire mods out there. One of which you would need to insulate that pin, the other you just u-wire: B2-B3, C2-C3, and D2-D3. Do that one socket 1 and leave CPU#2 out until you see it says like 1.55 or 1.57 in bios. Sometimes you will have to take cpu#1 out if it didn't work and then readjust it and once it works add cpu#2 and do the u-wire mod to it.

If you try to do both at the same time, you might have problems with one and then will have to take the second cpu out to see if you messed up on that one or the first one anyway. I just went through it.

Good luck

I insulated a pin on my Pentium 4, I just used a tiny tiny piece of rubber from a baloon and stuck it over the proper socket hole, worked like a charm.

Hi everybody!

Well, an old story going around in teh guitar world, some woman had paited her boyfriend's guitar jacks with transparent nail varnish, instant insulation, might be worth a try!

Best regards.

Max.

You don't need to insulate:

B2-B3
C2-C3
D2-D3

Will work just fine. That's how I'm running mine.

earlmred said:
You don't need to insulate:

B2-B3
C2-C3
D2-D3

Will work just fine. That's how I'm running mine.

Hmm what's a good wire to do that with? Most I've seen look too large of a gauge...

Find the smallest wire you can, and then you break it open and use a single strand. The wires that are used for cdrom audio cables are about the right size.

earlmred said:
Find the smallest wire you can, and then you break it open and use a single strand. The wires that are used for cdrom audio cables are about the right size.

That is what I used also. Just cut it open and there will be 3 wires. One in a white sleeve one in red and then some bare wires. Start with the strand of bare wire and untwist them apart. Each one of those strands will work. Very tiny and tweezers make the job easy.

Tweezers are good unless you want to spend awhile doing the mod... and get really frustrated doing it.

Also if you take a molex power connector from a dead PSU or Y-adaptor, whatever, strip the wire, then cut it, you'll end up with alot of single strands of wire that you can use.

Back