XCOPY+Vista

Phantum

[H]ard|Gawd
I want to make a script that backs up certain data but instead of copying it locally I want it to go to a server...how do I do that?

Vista has Robocopy which is damned superior to Xcopy. Read up on it and learn the ins and outs...

If the drive is on the network someplace, it's relatively easy to create a batch file to do that sort of thing, or perhaps use Vista's Backup and Restore capabilities. Get started with more info here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/backup.mspx

Agreed. Robocopy FTW.

You can use robocopy like this: robocopy c:\temp\ \\servername\c$\temp /mir

/mir will completely mirror the source and destination (it deletes anything on the destination that doesn't exist on the source).

xcopy "C:\location of data\*.*" "\\server\server share\*.*"

FYI, i found this hunting around the other day. i cannot take credit for writing this...

xcopy "c:\test2\*.*" /e "c:\test\%date:~-4,4%\%date:~-10,2%\%date:~-7,2%\*.*"

so what the above xcopy will do is copy "c:\test2\*.*" to "c:\test"... it will then create a folder for the current year (2007), then the current month (06), then the current day (25) and then paste your data in the current day folder.

Thank you all for your responses. It was very helpful, I now have an individualized script for each user on my network that does a scheduled backup of important data (docs, pics, etc) every week to the backup/file server! WOOHOO

Well I learn new stuff every day. I didn't know about this robocopy command and, coincidentally, I needed to do some tasks at this very moment that would be greatly benefited by it. Thanks :)

Robocopy is truly one of the "hidden" gems in Vista that people - more often than not - simply aren't aware of. Xcopy had it's time, now it's been one-upped by Robocopy, so spread the word...

Back