Xclaim Wireless - By Ruckus - Anyone Used These

rosco

Gawd
I was searching around for access points and came across a site offering Xlaim by Ruckus Wireless. It looks like these are designed to compete with Ubiquiti Unifi and similar models. Anyone have any experience using these?
Xclaim Wireless

I am tempted because of the Ruckus name. Normally their products are way over-priced for the projects I am looking at so I end up going with Ubiquiti.

Thanks for any info you may have on these.

I was searching around for access points and came across a site offering Xlaim by Ruckus Wireless. It looks like these are designed to compete with Ubiquiti Unifi and similar models. Anyone have any experience using these?
Xclaim Wireless

I am tempted because of the Ruckus name. Normally their products are way over-priced for the projects I am looking at so I end up going with Ubiquiti.

Thanks for any info you may have on these.

Im.sorry Ub but Ruckus is far superior. Im highly interested in these. Going to be watching closely.

I actually have used these and compared vs both a Ruckus 710 (wave 2 AC product) and a Xirrus XD2-240 (Wave 2 product as well). Xclaim is definitely a stripped down version of the Ruckus lineup and the Xirrus high end offerings, but for home use I find it to be better than the Ubiquiti product, IMO. They have been making constant improvements to their cloud product and the fact that there's no subscription fee is nice. Hands down, it would be my first choice.

I'm looking at it more as a small business solution. One where the full blown ruckus solution is just too pricey. Can you summarize what is missing or scaled down vs the Ruckus lineup?

I read some older reviews and it sounds like there were definitely some huge issues at first when these came out. So, I'm wondering where things stand a year+ later.

It sounds like the support model is similar to Ubiquiti. Xclaim is supposed to at least have band steering which I don't believe Ubiquiti has actually implemented yet.

The pastime I used these APs they had real issues with direction on what they wanted to be. They lacked A LOT of function that UBNT offered i.e VLANs, QOS, and SNMP. The bands tearing was on point so I didn't have any issue there. The support forum is a bit all over the place with no real structure even though there are clear sections. I would say that the product is solid for a home or a very small office, but not ready for prime time for a medium SMB IMO.

BigTy - How long ago was that? I read some terrible reviews from back in the 2nd half of 2014 but haven't tracked down anything newer.

I would think they would have to have implemented VLANs by now. That is so basic and a frequently used feature.

I used them up until a week before the cloud controller came out. I recall being on a demo call with them and mufti AP support was just bad. It's been a while since I've used their APs but I did share with them at that time being a paid for beta tester wasn't on my list of to do items. But like I've said a single AP in a simple install should be golden.

If others who have used their products as of late could shed more light on these APs it would help you also. But just Slapping Ruckus on an AP didn't make a winner for me. I did go back the the new Unif AC AP and for the most part it's been good to me. I also used the Eng's 1750 AP.

Back