Xbox360 Video Question

The Realyst

Limp Gawd
Ok, here's what I want to do. I want to be able to play video files that are on my computer, on my TV. I use to have a modded xbox in which I would just transfer the files from my pc to my xbox and play them in Xbox Media Center. By my xbox is just about dead right now. I'm looking for another way to do this. Can I do this with a Xbox360 WITHOUT modding it? If not, what else can I do to get this done? Thanks in advance.

Burn a dvd? I dont know what you're going to do with a broken xbox.

well i dont know too much about the xbox range but im sure u can do it with the 360 with no mods just a network and files in ashared aeas. but the old xbox is no use and u can achieve this without an xbox u kno:
DVDs
CDs
HTPC
just a normal pc next to your TV

The main thing is sharing the files/videos over a network

Well of course I can burn a DVD, but I have to convert the files so they can be read by all dvd players which takes for ever. The good part about using my xbox was that I didn't have to convert anything. I can just transfer and play. And yes, I know my xbox is no good. I was asking if I can do anything like that with an Xbox360. Thanks again.

The 360 will not natively play anything but WMV video from your computer. However a program like TVersity will transcode everything into WMV on the fly so that your 360 can understand. So far the only format that TVersity hasn't been able to convert for me is x264 encoded 720P .mkv files. TVersity even supports sending internet video feeds out to your 360. Overall it works pretty good and I am more than pleased.

Erasmus354 said:
The 360 will not natively play anything but WMV video from your computer. However a program like TVersity will transcode everything into WMV on the fly so that your 360 can understand. So far the only format that TVersity hasn't been able to convert for me is x264 encoded 720P .mkv files. TVersity even supports sending internet video feeds out to your 360. Overall it works pretty good and I am more than pleased.

Yup, the Xbox 360 is able to stream content from your PC, to your television, over your home network (if you have one). Unfortunately the 360, right out of the box, will only stream WMV, when it comes to video. But like Erasmus354 mentioned, you can get around that quite easily.

I haven't used TVersity, but the 360 works quite well, streaming music, pictures, and videos from a computer.

Back