Xbox360: HDTV + VGA or HDTV + component?

RancidWAnnaRIot

EspantaPajaros
So.. is one better than the other??

or is this a "depends on the TV" situation?

just trying to see if i can free up a component connection on my TV

I've heard the colours on VGA are washed out compared to component.

The VGA color issue is supposedly being addressed with the Spring Update that just rolled out.

Isn't it true that VGA's the only way to get 1080p on most 1080p TV's? I guess some will do it via component, but isn't that rare?

For me, the vga cable made everything look very washed out, however i haven't tried it since the update today, and I doubt I will, because I am one of the lucky ones that gets 1080p over component. It all really depends on your tv, but if you have a choice I'd use the component.

what is it you have that has 1080p over component?

So i tried the VGA cable.. it looks slightly better.. unnoticably better.. you have to do a side by side comparison to notice...

The colors look fine with the VGA cable (I tested this after the spring update)

hehe.. now i have a free component connection for my wii :D

plus i get the up converting feature of DVDs with the VGA cable no?

Isn't the upscaling only used if you put the DVD in the HD DVD drive.

I thought it had something with the HD DVD drive itself or software that comes with the drive.

I thought it had something with the HD DVD drive itself or software that comes with the drive.

ooooh schize.. will either way.. i'm going VGA as it gives me a component connection for something else

No, it upscales from the built in DVD drive as well.

FACTS:

You can display 1080p on component as long as your display (TV, monitor) and the game supports it.

Component won't let you display 1080p for HD-DVD. VGA is the only way to get 1080p output for HD-DVD. I don't know if the update fixed this.

Regular DVD's will upconvert to 1080p on component and VGA.. but honestly, the 360's DVD upconversion blows.

Both are analog, and I can only assume both approach their bandwidth limits at 1080 resolutions (1080 DVI will look better/noticeably kick 1080 component's ass...probably VGA too).

Anyways, for some science kicked into the discussion, VGA output is RGB colorspace; there are (probably) 75ohm Red, Green, Blue in the cable, along with assorted grounds and DDC pins to make up the 15-pin connector. Component cables output YPbPr colorpsace, or Luma and two color channels. I'd think that the lack of conversion (assuming here) to YPbPr means that the colors in VGA would look *slightly* better, but honestly, I'd go with whichever one is the most efficient in terms of using the inputs on your monitor/TV.

Back