Xbox360 Elites immune from RROD?

defiant007

2[H]4U
Seem to be some good deals on xbox360's leading up to Christmas but was wondering whether the elites suffer from the same problems as the older models? These endemic hardware failures are the main reason why I have not bought one to date as I in no way want to have to deal with that sort of shit if I am plonking down that much cash, and thus will only considering get one if the problems have now been fixed.

Yes, they suffer from the same problems. (At least my one did.)

well thats the first Halo console i have heard of failing from RRoD

around July they changed the design internally to add a secondary heatpipe heatsink to the GPU, i havent seen a console with that new heatsink design fail yet, not saying it hasnt, but it used to be that every one would fail sooner or later, now it seems very few and far between

there are also units shipping (maybe being sold already) that have the "Falcon" rev motherboard which shrunk the CPU to 65nm, GPU unchanged, but total overall heatexchange should be even less inside the systems with those new parts

so to infer that nothing has changed is just wrong, things are way better now, you just have to get one thats new enough to have the new parts, i had a launch console, lasted until about 6 months ago, my replacement has the new heatsink in it, hasnt failed on me yet and it gets used hard

Yeah seems advisable to keep waiting if that's a big issue for you.

The way the scuttlebut is going at the moment indicates that some of the newest consoles, including elites and halos do appear to have the shrunk CPU with the attendant new heatsink, but are not yet using the new chipset/GPU which is where the problem lies, so they still break down :(.

Of course MS won't make a song and dance about the actual full changeover because they want the old ones off the shelf first.

I should also say that I'm still on my first xbox360, bought at launch (Europe) and haven't had any problems, nor I do I actually know anybody in real life who has run into the RROD, so at least some of the consoles out there do work right :p.

I just know that next time I turn it on it's going to crap out :p

But Hey, PS3 price drop tomorrow :D

well thats the first Halo console i have heard of failing from RRoD

around July they changed the design internally to add a secondary heatpipe heatsink to the GPU, i havent seen a console with that new heatsink design fail yet, not saying it hasnt, but it used to be that every one would fail sooner or later, now it seems very few and far between

there are also units shipping (maybe being sold already) that have the "Falcon" rev motherboard which shrunk the CPU to 65nm, GPU unchanged, but total overall heatexchange should be even less inside the systems with those new parts

so to infer that nothing has changed is just wrong, things are way better now, you just have to get one thats new enough to have the new parts, i had a launch console, lasted until about 6 months ago, my replacement has the new heatsink in it, hasnt failed on me yet and it gets used hard

My outlook isn't so positive on the changes, since my Elite red ringed and that had the new heatsink design.

Ah well, might as well sink the money I was going to spend on the xbox360 on my new uber rig....it will now be an ultra uber rig! :D

we just picked up a elite over here, i cant beleive they only give you a 1 year warranty.

does MS do extended warranties for these? is there a place you can contact MS about extending the warranty on a newly purchased console? I would rather go thru them then the store I bought it at.

I thought all XBox's were 3 years now, as stated on the XBox web site.

we just picked up a elite over here, i cant beleive they only give you a 1 year warranty.

does MS do extended warranties for these? is there a place you can contact MS about extending the warranty on a newly purchased console? I would rather go thru them then the store I bought it at.

I'm still on my first console, and don't know anyone who's had the RROD. (But I have witnessed 2 people's console just "stop" recognizing the wireless controllers)

I read John's other posts on why the RROD happens (the X brace or somesuch bending the mobo) but whats the common denominator that starts the breakdowns?

Extended gaming? I know i've played for hours (6pm to 3am sometimes) without an issue.
Something else? Is there a way to take precautions against it or are we all just sitting here destined for failure?

Extended gaming? I know i've played for hours (6pm to 3am sometimes) without an issue.
Something else? Is there a way to take precautions against it or are we all just sitting here destined for failure?
Oddly enough, the only people I know that have had RROD hardly ever use their consoles. Perhaps they're affected by being turned on and off a lot?

Oddly enough, the only people I know that have had RROD hardly ever use their consoles. Perhaps they're affected by being turned on and off a lot?

Well the issue seems to be expansion and contraction of the mobo, and the chips come detached. So on/off cycling may have something to do with it if it expands/contracts too much.

More likely, I thin it may be a design issue to a certain extent, and simply adding another heatsink helps but still does not fix a deficient design.

The worst thing about getting RROD, even though they are under warranty is that the wait times in the US now seem to have crept up to around 6 weeks. That just ridiculous.

The nature of the problems sound like they are all ticking time bombs to me. A botched design of a mass manufactured product and the solutions sound like bandaids.

Just picked up an elite recently, here's the hoping it doesn't RRoD anytime soon. (Although I do have a 2 yr best buy replacement plan.. =/ )

The nature of the problems sound like they are all ticking time bombs to me. A botched design of a mass manufactured product and the solutions sound like bandaids.
Hardly a big issue to swap one out at your local store if it does die. Still shit though for those affected.

The worst thing about getting RROD, even though they are under warranty is that the wait times in the US now seem to have crept up to around 6 weeks. That just ridiculous.

is it really so bad to have to find something else to do with your time for 6 weeks? i think it's a good thing, allow people to experience more real life

Heres to hoping MS replaces the MB clamps with something that doesn't put preasure from the sides...

is it really so bad to have to find something else to do with your time for 6 weeks? i think it's a good thing, allow people to experience more real life

I want to be able to use a product I paid for, when I want to, wouldn't you say? 6 Weeks is more than 10% of the year. I don't want miracles, but a week or two is the max. They should just send out immediate new/refurb units like every other hardware device out there. And if they insist on receiving first, then at least send a replacement the day you receive it, and if you are backed up on repairs, thats your problem, not mine.

I want to be able to use a product I paid for, when I want to, wouldn't you say? 6 Weeks is more than 10% of the year. I don't want miracles, but a week or two is the max. They should just send out immediate new/refurb units like every other hardware device out there. And if they insist on receiving first, then at least send a replacement the day you receive it, and if you are backed up on repairs, thats your problem, not mine.

i paid for mine too, i have over $1000 in mine with all the HDDVD player, extra controllers, games, etc.., not including the HDTV, another $1200

well, they told me 4-6 weeks and i actually was looking forward to doing other things, then the bastard showed back up inside of 2 weeks......

so what if you cracked your case open, tried to modify it and f'ed it up? you get a replacement you shouldn't have, so that won't work obviously

and obviously with hundreds or more coming in a day, they can't inspect all of today's received units today and ship out replacements the same day

the mods they have made to the systems has greatly reduced the number of failures if you care to know the truth, so you expect them to invest in more/larger repair/processing facilities to get through a few months of higher than normal returns? if they did that they would have to charge more for the systems and such to make up for it, and then once the initial wave of returns is done, what then....they have to lay off tons of employees and have wasted space....

get real, it's a video game system, i love mine, play it all the time, well, every weekend anyways, kids play it during the week, and we dont own a DVD player, we use the 360/HDDVD player, but truth is, it didn't hurt us to be without it for a couple weeks, 4-6 weeks would have been fine too, more time playing outside with the kids and so forth....more time reading and coloring, more time watching movies together on cable instead of time with 3 people watching one person play a game.....

people these days are so freaking wired and self-centered......i almost wish sometimes we could get hit by a EMP type bomb.....take us back to the better days, if only for a while, so we don't forget how good we have it, people take so much for granted.....i bet you there's a ton of people who if forced to do without tv, computers, internet, and video games for a week would go into some sort of fit......it's sickening

get real, it's a video game system, i love mine, play it all the time, well, every weekend anyways, kids play it during the week, and we dont own a DVD player, we use the 360/HDDVD player, but truth is, it didn't hurt us to be without it for a couple weeks, 4-6 weeks would have been fine too, more time playing outside with the kids and so forth....more time reading and coloring, more time watching movies together on cable instead of time with 3 people watching one person play a game.....

people these days are so freaking wired and self-centered......i almost wish sometimes we could get hit by a EMP type bomb.....take us back to the better days, if only for a while, so we don't forget how good we have it, people take so much for granted.....i bet you there's a ton of people who if forced to do without tv, computers, internet, and video games for a week would go into some sort of fit......it's sickening

Well when you put it that way I am surprised that MS didn't market the RROD as a feature in order to promote and maintain family/social values!

"Tired of your kids spending hours in front of our xbox360....well no need to worry. The new RROD feature ensures random breakdowns in order to encourage the lazy bastards to do something else with their time. This combined with long waiting periods for returns/repairs ensures that your kids will be doing other more healthy activities like playing sport, doing homework, meeting friends etc. At no extra cost to you, the RROD is guaranteed to ensure that no one gets to play the console for extended periods of time!"

What a brilliant idea! We should introduce this feature into all forms of electronic consumable entertainment! TV's, MP3 players, desktop computers, hi-fi systems, DVD players.....pure genius! Im off to the patent office :D

Well when you put it that way I am surprised that MS didn't market the RROD as a feature in order to promote and maintain family/social values!

"Tired of your kids spending hours in front of our xbox360....well no need to worry. The new RROD feature ensures random breakdowns in order to encourage the lazy bastards to do something else with their time. This combined with long waiting periods for returns/repairs ensures that your kids will be doing other more healthy activities like playing sport, doing homework, meeting friends etc. At no extra cost to you, the RROD is guaranteed to ensure that no one gets to play the console for extended periods of time!"

What a brilliant idea! We should introduce this feature into all forms of electronic consumable entertainment! TV's, MP3 players, desktop computers, hi-fi systems, DVD players.....pure genius! Im off to the patent office :D

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL:D:D:D:D

Back