Xbox won't load Oblivion anymore?

Rurik

Supreme [H]ardness
I just picked up Oblivion this week and chugging through it. It was on for about 8 hours today when I started having issues (8 hours of on-time, only 4-5 hours of that actually playing). I saved my game while sneaking through a boat, got spotted, and reloaded the save. The game instantly froze while loading. I turned it off and back on, and now anytime I load a saved game it will freeze while loading. I turned the console off for an hour, turned back on, and it's still freezing. I cleaned off the disc, still freezing. I popped in another game to play for an hour, which played fine. I popped Oblivion back in, freezing.

ARGH!

I'm afraid to start a new game, even though I'm only 20 hours into it (8 of which was the quest to get rid of the #*$& vampirism that I received within the first 2 hours of playing and didn't know).

I let it sit and popped it and tried again. This time, the Xbox didn't lock up, but the game did. Music still played, and I could bring up the Xbox blade, but it was still stuck. I watched some TV, popped it in again, and it ran through the loading progress bar. Woohooo!.... then a frozen black screen. DOH!

I created a new game, which worked fine. It made a new autosave, which I could load fine. However, if I then try to load any of the six previous saved games, they all freeze. I can see one saved game corrupting, it's happened to me before on a few other Xbox games, but all of them?
EDIT: scratch that. Of the six saved games, only the first five freeze. The sixth loaded up fine, though it was 1.5 hours back. I loaded that then tried loading up a newer one, but that froze. Going to keep this one and delete the newer ones and see if it continues to work.

Weird...

Well, I'm staying optimistic. The Xbox is less than a year old :) I think that somehow the game itself was corrupted while playing, and every save game I made past that point saved badly. I restored from the oldest one (the only one that worked) and played for 4-5 hours more with no issues. Hopefully it stays that way.

edit: grammatical changes

If other games have been playing fine, for long durations, that it probably isn't a RRoD in your future, though you never know. I was going to suggest clearing your cache, though it sounds like you solved the problem, and something like that (clearing the HD cache) wasn't needed anyway.

Common issue with Oblivion on the boards. Try not to rely on autosaves either. Oblivion is notorious for corrupting save files once they get too fat. Try to use autosaves as little as possible, create manual saves instead.

This week, I decided to dust off my Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion disc and replay the entire game. I entirely forgot how frustrating the game freezes were with that game. I made it 80% of the way through the main quest before I started having issues with the game freezing and it was happening several times every hour or so. Probably the only remedy for this would be the Xbox 360 cache clear code that was discovered long ago by Hexus. This method is the only way to entirely clear the Xbox 360 cache.

Take the following steps to clear your cache:

Go to the system blade and then select memory.

Press Y on the HD symbol and then press X,X,Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X,X. Once you do this a messsage will appear saying: Do you want to perform maintenance on your Xbox 360 storage devices?

Keep in mind that this method will also clear out all software updates, but it’s worth that cost. After you clear things out, you’ll experience far less issues when it comes to the system crashing or screens freezing. If anyone knows of a better method, feel free to drop a comment below. It’s easy to forget that sometimes your system may need a little extra maintenance to keep it running smoothly.

Common issue with Oblivion on the boards. Try not to rely on autosaves either. Oblivion is notorious for corrupting save files once they get too fat. Try to use autosaves as little as possible, create manual saves instead.

you dont even have to do that just hold down the A button when oblivion is starting up and it will delete the old cache and create another one

i had similar issues. i lost about 30 hours of game play when a saved game got corrupted.

clear the cache and manually save often. also, dedicated 2 or 3 saved game slots and rotate between them in case one gets corrupted.

you dont even have to do that just hold down the A button when oblivion is starting up and it will delete the old cache and create another one

I'll take your word for it. I play(/ed) Oblivion on PC.

Good information here. I have autosave and manually save with a rotation of 5 slots every 30 mins or so now.

Back