Xbox with Dell 2005FPW

dante2010

n00b
Hi,

I've just purchased a 2005FPW and want to hook up my Xbox to it.

I can't seem to figure out how to enable 480p or 720p tho. I've set it to widescreen in the video options, but that's really the only setting I can see in that area.

I've got it hooked up to the 2005FPW via the advanced AV pack and the S-Video connection.

I'm pretty dumb on all this as I've only been using the Xbox on a regular old tv up till now.

Can someone give me some pointers as to the best way to hook my Xbox up to the monitor? Right now it doesn't look all that hot unless I play it in 1:1 mode, which is way too small to really be playable.

I'm unclear on what all these resolutions mean. 480i, 480p, 720p.. Can you direct me to a good FAQ explaining which is which and what connections support which resolutions?

I read the review of the VD-Z3 and I am interested in getting one. In the review it said that having the HD pack wasn't needed if you bought the VD-Z3.. but you said that you need the HD pack + the component to VGA box. I'm a bit confused there. Wouldn't want to buy something that I don't need. ;)

dante2010 said:
I'm unclear on what all these resolutions mean. 480i, 480p, 720p.. Can you direct me to a good FAQ explaining which is which and what connections support which resolutions?

I read the review of the VD-Z3 and I am interested in getting one. In the review it said that having the HD pack wasn't needed if you bought the VD-Z3.. but you said that you need the HD pack + the component to VGA box. I'm a bit confused there. Wouldn't want to buy something that I don't need. ;)

480i = something x 480 interlased
480p = something x 480 progresive
720p = something x 720 progresive

So the native resolution of my monitor is 1680x1050. I take it that doesn't translate to any of the modes offered by consoles?

Will I be able to play games at 720p (which I'm assuming is widescreen?) on my Dell 2005FPW? That is of course and have them look goood.

WTF... did google go down or something... this isn't hard.

1080p 1,920x1,080 progressive

1080i 1,920x1,080 interlaced

720p 1,280x720 progressive

Wide-screen 480p (DVD, EDTV) 852x480 progressive

Regular TV (480i) usualy 640x480 interlaced

oh and sometimes progressive is refered to as de-interlaced (usualy when talking about computer monitors)

Calm down Scuzzy. If people didn't ask questions then this forum would all but dry up.

dante2010....take a look in the 2005fpw thread in the Displays forum and ask there....they know a lot about what you are trying to do.

Sorry about the confusion about the VGA box...in general you have to have the HD pack and a vga box...but the VDigi one is the exception.

Also, you won't be playing widescreen unless the game supports it or if the game doesn't support it...you will have to stretch it.

Tiny said:
Calm down Scuzzy. If people didn't ask questions then this forum would all but dry up.

True. But Elios's "something x ...." kinda got to me. Was like the blind leading the blind there.

SCSI-Terminator said:
True. But Elios's "something x ...." kinda got to me. Was like the blind leading the blind there.

coudnt remember that part off hand and didnt want to give some thing that was wrong
:p

Is it that much better (the X2VGA one) then the Vdigi one? I like the sound of the Vdigi as it will let me hook up all 3 consoles, instead of just the Xbox.

dante2010 said:
Is it that much better (the X2VGA one) then the Vdigi one? I like the sound of the Vdigi as it will let me hook up all 3 consoles, instead of just the Xbox.

If you ever want to hook up the Xbox360 with the X2VGA.....you won't be able to. As the X2 uses the standard Xbox connection, where as the VDigi uses component connections. So the VDigi is more unverisal then the X2. If you want to hook up the Xbox and that is it...then the X2 is a good choice.

I spent like 150 bux on different boxes and converters because I didn't want to dish out 60 or 70 bux for an X2VGA. hehe...
Anyway, just last night, someone at a LAN sold me their X2VGA+ for 10 bux and I can vouch that it's the best way to hook your xbox to a computer monitor. Looks twice as good as any of the other methods I have tried.

If you ever want to hook up the Xbox360 with the X2VGA.....you won't be able to. As the X2 uses the standard Xbox connection, where as the VDigi uses component connections. So the VDigi is more unverisal then the X2. If you want to hook up the Xbox and that is it...then the X2 is a good choice.

You can just buy a VGA cable for the 360, no need to bother with converters.

You can just buy a VGA cable for the 360, no need to bother with converters.

Yeah, I think everyone here is just confusing the poor guy...

Dante: Go to your favorite game store and ask the the Xbox 360 VGA cable. I think it's around $30-$40 or so. Follow the instructions that come with it for set up.

The original post said "Xbox" yet everyone is replying "Xbox 360" so maybe you'd better clarify - do you have an original Xbox or 360?

Original Xbox = X2VGA
Xbox 360 = VGA cable

With the Xbox the problem is even with the VGA converter it won't look that good on any type of LCD monitor unless your at its native resolution. Xbox only has a few games which will do more than 480p. It will look the best on a good TV or a CRT monitor.

The Xbox 360 can support a wide selection of resolutions, so it will look good on a LCD monitor as it will support the native resolution.

Well.....my LCD monitor's native is 1280x1024 which I believe is the equivelant of 720p or thereabouts. Anyway...I can say that Doom 3, Halo2, Painkiller and a few other games look pretty nice using the X2VGA+. I just picked up Call of Duty 2 on the XBOX today and it doesn' t look all that great. I'll still play it 'n all...but just doesn't look that great which really is expected on the XBOX trying to play something as intense as COD 2. They really dumbed down the graphics on the XBOX version. XBOX 360 and PC versions look great. Same with Call of Duty 3. 360 version looks great while the XBOX version looks even worse than Call of Duty 2 did.

Back