Xbox Windows Media Center Extender

erehwon6811

Limp Gawd
Have any of you used this? I'm wanting a simple way to watch the tv shows I record from my turner on my tv and I saw this. I think I can get it for $10 -$30 on ebay, which is about the only place I've seen it. I was looking into this since I don't want to mod my xbox to use xbox media center. I might try xbmc once I can get a cheap xbox just to mod, but I'm not going to experiment on one of my main systems.

So, does anyone have any information on this thing? I'm looking at the possibility of using this as cheap alternative till I can afford to do an actual HTPC for my media needs.

The original xbox? It kind of sucks due to how slow it is (and that it runs off of a DVD). It would just be better to go with XBMC simple for it's flexibility.

Too bad we're not talking 360 cause thats the much better/polished/functional version.

It actually runs off the disc. I was hoping it would install to the xbox itself. Maybe I don't want that then. I've been thinking of xbmc, but I'm a little unsure of modding it. My dad could do the install of a modchip, but I can't afford one of those right now (that and I'm having a hard time choosing which one). I'm a little unsure of doing a softmod since I don't want to risk damaging it. If I was able to get through a gentoo install on my computer, I wonder if I could manage a softmod?

I've been trying to find the easiest and cheapest way to get media from my computer to the tv, but it looks like I might only manage one of those. That thing I was looking at was my hope for a cheap and easy solution. Oh well. I might try the softmod or just wait and get a 360.

Back