Xbox series X

I experienced Quick Resume for the first time the other day. I haven't yet seen it work on a single title, but I bought Assassin's Creed Origins on the Black Friday sale digital on the Store for $12 and I went to play it... turned the system off after trying it for half an hour and then a couple days later came back to it and it started right back where I left it and said "Quick Resume" on the top right. Really impressive.
What always annoyed me was Quick Resume (at least for a single game at a time, with some exceptions) was already in the Xbox One since launch (or somewhere around there), but it almost always failed, due to XBL logging out and causing games to just restart or go back to the main menu. Glad to hear MSFT finally got it working.
Is it confirmed yet whether the USB-C port on the PS5 is DisplayPort capable?
No front panel board teardowns yet, so we don't know the IC is driving the USB-C port (little reason to have an USB-C controller capable of PD and DP-alt mode on an USB-C port capable of neither, for example. So the presence of a chip capable of both would be very revealing). Little into on teardowns, even on ifixit. They have an xbox series x teardown, with annotated ICs, etc, and they clearly have a PS5, but no teardown (outside of the generally garbage livestream teardown).

Ended up getting the Series X... had a feeling as much as I was agitated that if I authorized the Amazon e-mail it'd probably show up quick, and less than a week later it shipped.

So far, so good, but beyond quicker loads and more consistent framerates etc. on my current games it just feels like GEN++ -- though that's more software related than hardware. It's quiet, fast, and I like the small changes to the controller quite a bit EXCEPT the loud clicking of the buttons, namely the d-pad. I'm a little disappointed at some of my favorite original Xbox games still not working, like True Crime: Streets of LA (!), or Prisoner of War.

Still wish my Corsair Void wireless headset would work with Xbox. The controller headset adapter is too hit-or-miss quality-wise even if it's better than straight 3.5mm jack into controller.

Oh, and Watch Dogs on Series X... avoid until they fix autosave crap. I lost literally 3 hours of progress TWICE: first time it bugged out (autosave endlessly not autosaving) returning to main menu, second time I tried quick resume but it failed for that game... Gears of War, while not my cup of tea since the time of the first, at least runs fantastic. Best part about this is now my kids can use my X as the home console (I'll probably swap for an SSD inside) and I don't have to buy extra copies.

I actually got a USB-C to DisplayPort cable yesterday for my laptop. Tried hooking my PS5 up to my monitor with it - no signal.
The port is unused now, which would not be surprising even if it is DisplayPort capable. It might be reserved for VR.
No front panel board teardowns yet, so we don't know the IC is driving the USB-C port (little reason to have an USB-C controller capable of PD and DP-alt mode on an USB-C port capable of neither, for example. So the presence of a chip capable of both would be very revealing).
It will not necessarily show up in a teardown. AMD's next year "Van Gogh" APUs are reported to have USB with integrated DP alternate mode: https://twitter.com/patrickschur_/status/1316829741127806978
And similar findings were reported from "Ariel" chip which turned up in a PCI ID database (USB 3.1 Type C: Gen2 x 1port + DP Alt Mode) and is believed to be linked to PS5: https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comments/j8pszx/the_usb_c_port_may_be_displayport_capable/

Interesting would be if someone could hook up a USB-C Control Channel sniffer and observe the PD and Alternate Mode negotiation.

Holy shit, just found about about the ability to load retroarch onto your series s/x without dev mode and it works so fucking well! So far played some n64 and nes games but apparently games for systems like PS2 also work.

20201203_165243.jpg

Ignore the weird setup, I'm traveling for work so this is my temp Xbox/laptop gaming area lol

Last edited:
The port is unused now, which would not be surprising even if it is DisplayPort capable. It might be reserved for VR.

It will not necessarily show up in a teardown. AMD's next year "Van Gogh" APUs are reported to have USB with integrated DP alternate mode: https://twitter.com/patrickschur_/status/1316829741127806978
And similar findings were reported from "Ariel" chip which turned up in a PCI ID database (USB 3.1 Type C: Gen2 x 1port + DP Alt Mode) and is believed to be linked to PS5: https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comments/j8pszx/the_usb_c_port_may_be_displayport_capable/

Interesting would be if someone could hook up a USB-C Control Channel sniffer and observe the PD and Alternate Mode negotiation.
I do agree with that. My familiarity with USB-C indicates a PMIC still has to have some awareness of the alt modes and involvement. If that front port doesn't have PD, then we aren't talking about VR from the front port, anyways. Well, even if there wasn't PD, there still could be a chance, but not one I'd be very firm on.

EDIT: and a PMIC is not something I'd bet on AMD integrating into their on-die USB-C PHY.

Holy shit, just found about about the ability to load retroarch onto your series s/x without dev mode and it works so fucking well! So far played some n64 and nes games but apparently games for systems like PS2 also work.

View attachment 305432

Ignore the weird setup, I'm traveling for work so this is my temp Xbox/laptop gaming area lol

oh shit! That’s awesome! How do we do that?

View attachment 305432

Aye, we were homebrewing this kind of thing back in 2001 with the original Xbox. If you're interested in running N64 and PS2 games on it, PCSX2 & Mupen64 should get you up and running. Also, run Retroarch with the Vulcan driver, it has much better performance in most games than gl or d3d.

Check out Batocera too, its a standalone OS that may bypass having to use development mode since it runs natively on x86 hardware
https://batocera.org/download Load the IMG onto a Flash drive and see if it boots up. You can use Etcher or Rufus.
Its what I use on my Odriod N2+ currently.

Almost makes me want to buy one, but I have plenty of other hardware that can run emulation. Odroid N2+ is pretty good for it, although it doesn't play Killer Instinct at full speed, so I just use my old i5 2500K/GTX 980 PC for that.

Last edited:
You have to run the Xbox in development mode and side load Retroarch onto it, after that you can either load the ROMS through a physical disk (Retroarch will read the disk image) or find other means of getting the ROM / ISO.

Last time I checked, you had to buy a license from Microsoft for development mode, I'm not sure that is still the case though.

You have to run the Xbox in development mode and side load Retroarch onto it, after that you can either load the ROMS through a physical disk (Retroarch will read the disk image) or find other means of getting the ROM / ISO.

Last time I checked, you had to buy a license from Microsoft for development mode, I'm not sure that is still the case though.
This method bypasses the need for dev mode all together! It runs as a native Xbox app now and can be used on normal mode allowing for free swap from retroarch to retail games but I think after this Sunday the dev is no longer adding people to the white list to do it

I
Started here, this is the discord chat invite to the group/dev doing it. There is a link to the signup where you can give your Xbox account email address to have it white listed for the retail version of retroarch, once they add you (there no notification you just need to wait for them to do the next batch of adds) you follow the faq to install the needed apps. It also walks you through how to upload your roms and bios. Per legal reasons though you need to provide your own roms.

https://discord.com/invite/cmVZuhj

Honestly the hardest part is using the ftp to navigate to the proper folders and uploading the files you need and Roms you want. They explain how to add the Xbox drive as a network drive but transfers were alot faster using filezilla instead, between bios files and Roms I had about 3gb to move over

What always annoyed me was Quick Resume (at least for a single game at a time, with some exceptions) was already in the Xbox One since launch (or somewhere around there), but it almost always failed, due to XBL logging out and causing games to just restart or go back to the main menu. Glad to hear MSFT finally got it working.

Yeah i've been playing Rise of the Tomb Raider and Assassin's Creed Origins simultaneously and Quick Resume works great and is fast switching between the two. Crazy to think I could have a couple more games running where I could do this. I might fire up Forza 7 and go between the 3. Cool stuff.

I just sold my Series X for $900 on Facebook. I barely ever use the thing. Plan was to switch from PC gaming to Xbox and PS5 - still find myself playing games on the PC and PS5 while the Xbox collects dust. Posted it on Facebook to see what interest I get, sold within 30 minutes.

So - the one game I was playing on my series x was Yakuza Like a Dragon. Checked the Microsoft Store on my PC and found out I can download the game there for free! Downloaded the game figuring theres no way my saved game will carry over. Sure enough my saved game is right there. WOW! That is awesome.

1607214902898.png

So - the one game I was playing on my series x was Yakuza Like a Dragon. Checked the Microsoft Store on my PC and found out I can download the game there for free! Downloaded the game figuring theres no way my saved game will carry over. Sure enough my saved game is right there. WOW! That is awesome.

View attachment 306057

Nice! I love it that some games are doing this now. Every frickin game should be cross-platform and cross-progression!

Nice! I love it that some games are doing this now. Every frickin game should be cross-platform and cross-progression!
The irony is it's not *that* hard to do. It's not like the data content in save files is going to vary across platforms, and even online content (MP, etc) is going to be sending the same data to servers, just packed in a slightly different way.

But yes, cross-progression is the next big step.

I just sold my Series X for $900 on Facebook. I barely ever use the thing. Plan was to switch from PC gaming to Xbox and PS5 - still find myself playing games on the PC and PS5 while the Xbox collects dust. Posted it on Facebook to see what interest I get, sold within 30 minutes.
Wow you sold it used for $900? Crazy. You can buy new for $750 where I'm at.

My wife wants to play Crusader Kings III, preferably on her iPad or iPhone.

Does anyone know if Xbox Series X remote play supports legacy gaming? I understand it's currently partially in limbo and might be a while for Series X/S support for Windows, but seeing how she has a pile of Apple stuff that does work, I'm more curious to know if remote play on the Series series supports One series games, as well as 360 series titles.

Our previous Xbox got smashed in a moving accident and I really don't want to have to buy another Xbox One just so she can remote play one game if I can avoid it and roll that over into a Series X buy.

Console users shocked to learn that 60 FPS really is better than 30 FPS.

https://old.reddit.com/r/XboxSeriesX/comments/kw8rlr/the_series_x_has_ruined_30fps_games_for_me/

First response "To be fair, I get used to 30 fps quickly again after a few hours into a game."

Pretty much me as well except only after a few mins. I don't have an issue going from 120+ FPS on PC to 30 FPS on PS4 or something, as long as it's actually locked to 30 and the frame pacing is consistent, which most 1st part titles are. Proper (per-object) motion blur helps a lot too IMO, but I'd rather not get into that whole debate either since most PCMR guys abhor and generalize it as if it's all the same.

Can you even buy one of these things?
There have really been no retail drops since the last big one around Christmas. Series S is constantly in stock, though, making me think nobody want it. I think MS really misjudged the audience for the Series S with putting a much weaker SOC in it.

That Hivebusters DLC for Gears 5 is gorgeous on the Series X. Having an atmos soundtrack is a nice icing on top of the cake. I just fired it up to see if it were any good last night. It's probably the best looking console game I have seen. I hear it's not very long so I'll probably play through the rest of it this weekend. But it does make a good first impression.

Anyone else played it yet?

I've played the main story in gears 5 and it looks awesome, i need to do the hivebusters next.

That Hivebusters DLC for Gears 5 is gorgeous on the Series X. Having an atmos soundtrack is a nice icing on top of the cake. I just fired it up to see if it were any good last night. It's probably the best looking console game I have seen. I hear it's not very long so I'll probably play through the rest of it this weekend. But it does make a good first impression.

Anyone else played it yet?

Impressive performance from the Series X and since it maintains 4k and mostly high settings, Hitman 3 can be compared pretty well with PC performance.

I just saw that MS doubled the price for xbox gold pass. It is $ 120 now for a year.

What do I need for the controller to work with Windows 10? I was going to buy one but I heard you need bluetooth on your MB.

What do I need for the controller to work with Windows 10? I was going to buy one but I heard you need bluetooth on your MB.

pretty sure you need one of those $25 ms adapters, I have one and it works flawlessly. Don’t know if it’ll work just via Bluetooth though, haven’t tried

If your MB do not come with bluetooth you can buy those cheap adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bluetoot...luetooth+usb,aps,173&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-a-p_4_13

Or a nice card wifi/bluetooth card if you can have use for both:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bluetooth+wifi+card&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

having an external antenna that you can place where you want with an extension can be useful.

My older Xbox One S controller work both with a cheap bluetooth dongle and my laptop integrated bluetooth, didn't try with the new one I would verify but I imagine that it should still work like before.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back