Xbox series X

Power/heat tests:

Overall very quiet and does well at removing heat. Most backwards compatible games run 160-170w even at 120fps while Gears 5 peaks around 210w. Here is a comparison to the One X which ran much slower.
View attachment 290602

It's pretty good. I do wonder how things will look with demanding next gen games though. Same with the PS5. Both consoles seem designed to handle heat so I imagine they'll be fine, but I am curious.

It's pretty good. I do wonder how things will look with demanding next gen games though. Same with the PS5. Both consoles seem designed to handle heat so I imagine they'll be fine, but I am curious.

Gears pushes the gpu but probably not the cpu. Games running 120 fps at 1440p will probably see the highest power draw. Curious to see how the PS5 does as well with its fewer CUs but higher clocks.

High framerate like that should be a fine CPU stressor. And remember, we are talking about CPUs which are under 4GHZ.

My family doesn't play games and friends don't own xboxs either. I don't even play online outside some friends.
I've got a gaming PC but I'm still getting an xsx so I can play games with my kids. My son is so stoked to replay Halo with me on it and my daughter loves so many of the more kid friendly coop games on the xbox I have. I love my PS4 for its exclusives but there's a huge reason why I only own 1 ps4 controller and 5 xbox one controllers (4 for the console and 1 for my pc/android box)

Will there be any in stock ANYWHERE launch day? I was thinking of going to my local best buy or gamestop. But fear they won't get any.

Will there be any in stock ANYWHERE launch day? I was thinking of going to my local best buy or gamestop. But fear they won't get any.
Some stores might have very limited stock available that isn’t preordered based on prior history. But expect that to likely be no more than a couple units if the store is lucky.

Historically it has always been lining up the night before for a major console release. All the major stores will have some. But with COVID, I am assuming that is out. If you don't have a pre-order already probably best to just wait a week or so and keep checking back at Amazon or whatever.

I’m guessing the Series X or PS5 will easily go for $800+ on Craigslist for the 1st month after release

Maybe even all the way through 2021

It'll be scalped through the holidays until the end of the year. But I expect availability will be good by early spring 2021.

except when you have friends and family that like to play with you lol

That and BC with OG Xbox and 360 games are about the only reason I'll consider getting another Xbox, which my current Xbone X works as good as a Series X for. But with cross-play being supported in many games now between platforms, it lessens Xbox's appeal even more.

Personally I don't play online much at all and prefer single player games, and for any local multiplayer games with my family we play on the Switch (Mario Party/Kart/Bros, Jackbox games, Overcooked, etc.). I'll prolly pick up an Xbox at some point when it's on sale or come across a good deal, but I'm def covered for now with my old Xbone X and other current/next gen consoles and PC.

Yes. Target and Best Buy I know will have some. They've also said that nobody will be able to walk into the store to buy one. I think Target for example tweeted something about orders going live on launch day at 12am or something and then available for in-store pickup. Same for Best Buy I believe. So you can buy one and only get it for in-store pickup.

Yes. Target and Best Buy I know will have some. They've also said that nobody will be able to walk into the store to buy one. I think Target for example tweeted something about orders going live on launch day at 12am or something and then available for in-store pickup. Same for Best Buy I believe. So you can buy one and only get it for in-store pickup.
So what's the deal then? You have to spam F5 on Best Buy's or Target's website at 12am EST hoping to get through an order? Where have I heard that clusterfuck idea before.

Pretty nice improvements to Gears 5 with the Series X:

- Average 1700+p dynamic res
- Ultra pc visuals
- 60 fps in single / cutscenes
-120 fps multi

A few hitches, but a good showing for the new hardware.

Pretty nice improvements to Gears 5 with the Series X:

- Average 1700+p dynamic res
- Ultra pc visuals
- 60 fps in single / cutscenes
-120 fps multi

A few hitches, but a good showing for the new hardware.

just watched that myself before a client of mine is coming in, was pretty impressed myself.

but I’m waiting for all-new games that aren’t remade with next-Gen stuff. From both the PS5/Xbox series X.

Now that consoles are finally at ultra settings or similiar, they can be somewhat compared to PC GPUs.

The Series X looks to be somewhere around the RTX 3070, which gets 72 fps minimums at 1440p but falls well short at 4k with 47 fps min.

https://www.techspot.com/review/2124-geforce-rtx-3070/

The 3080 manages to stay above 60 fps at 4k.
There are plenty of games that will be 4K/60fps on Series X. There were even some on the One X. I think the Series X is closer to the 3080 than the 3070, no?

There are plenty of games that will be 4K/60fps on Series X. There were even some on the One X. I think the Series X is closer to the 3080 than the 3070, no?
Correct, games like assassins creed Valhalla is set to run 4k 60 native with the ps5 version being a 4k 60 upres. On paper I think the XSX is around a 3070 but people forget that developers get to do some crazy ass optimizations for consoles that let them get way more performance than what a PC can get.

Last edited:

I am sure there will be, but it depends on the game and quality settings. OneX could do a couple game at 4k60, but those were usually at medium settings and idtech7 games, which would see 200+ fps on the 3080.

For now, Gears 5 is probably the best comparison as it would have been running at 4k if it was truly as powerful as the 3080.

3070 performance is still impressive!

It is easier to convert into AMD comp for the moment

It is a 12 tf RDNA 2 GPU with 52 CU @ 1.825 Ghz, with 10 gig of 560 GBps GDDR6 ram.

The AMD 6800 is a 16.17 tflops 60 CU @ 1.815-2.105 GHZ with 16 gig of 512 GB/s GDDR 6 ram

On paper optimisation aside the XBox should be significantly below the 6800, so probably a bit under the 3070, not in 3080 territory, a 6800 can play with 250W if they want, the XBOX series has a 350W PSU for the whole system and supporting peak of 300 watt (it seem to peak at 210), the whole system run around 150-180 watt while playing game, if they achieved 85-90% of the raw power with all the optimisation on an 6800 it is already incredible considering with what power they will do it.

I am not sure if we will see plenty of heavy AAA title running at 4K/60fps on the series X, PS5 seem to have is big title aim around the 1440p 60 FPS, 30 FPS 4K and could end up looking much better than the XBox title if they aim some really hard 60fps 4K. Obviously they will if they reduce the graphic quite a bit but it will probably be an option, do you want 1440P 60 hz, 120hz with low graphic, 4K 30 fps high graphic, 4K 60 fps low graphic. They will become very computer like with all the supported models (and different res-fps target), if you develop for 7 major different console, Ps4-xbox-Ps4 pro-Xbox pro-Ps5-Xbox series X/small, do you really put that much more effort in a specific one that you do on the biggset family of video card/CPU combo of a PC ? Probably, but it is not like really like making a game for only a specific Nintendo either.

Even using DLSS a new RTX 3090 cannot lock 60 FPS on Watch Dogs with all the bell and whistle on (99th min goes at 59.2), for example, the moment hardware become more powerful, developer will do more in games.

Last edited:
MS putting in more work with BC then Sony is. Not surprised.
Also makes me think it may have to do with the cpu of each system being able to decode the BC games off the ssd. I'm sure native ps5 games will blow the socks off the xsx thanks to being made specifically for the ps5 but this goes to show there is alot more to load times and performance than just the raw data numbers of the nvme tech. Also makes me think though that if its not a ps5 exclusive game (say the new cod) will it really have any advantage over the xsx in load times?

Also makes me think it may have to do with the cpu of each system being able to decode the BC games off the ssd. I'm sure native ps5 games will blow the socks off the xsx thanks to being made specifically for the ps5 but this goes to show there is alot more to load times and performance than just the raw data numbers of the nvme tech. Also makes me think though that if its not a ps5 exclusive game (say the new cod) will it really have any advantage over the xsx in load times?
Who cares how fast the SSD are. All we need to know is they are both stupid fast and basically eliminating load times. BC is not that important to me.

Who cares how fast the SSD are. All we need to know is they are both stupid fast and basically eliminating load times. BC is not that important to me.
I want to agree with you but seeing as destiny 2 won't be going next gen till December and I've got both systems preordered it matters to me right now lol.

Between this and the fact the ps5 seems like it won't be the best place to play cross platform games due to performance modes (Valhalla only being 4k upres and squadrons apperently not doing a 120fps mode on ps5) I'm glad I got my xsx pre-order

Last edited:
While most were similiar, some had a shockingly quicker load time with the Series X. I thought Sony had the faster SSD? I wonder why this is... Velocity architecture?
think it has alot to do with the fact its a bc game that needs to be processed off the nvme first by the cpu, native ps5 games will not have this issue. That said when we have games like Gears 5 loading in 7 seconds anyways on the xsx theres not a ton of improvment ps5 games will make that I could care about, if every next gen game loads sub 10 seconds I will be thrilled lol

Some surprising results from a xsx vs ps5 BC load times test released this morning, the XSX ended up winning pretty much every load test. Honestly was not the results I expected lol

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/h...utm_source=reddit.com#comments-block-33510845
If the XBOX time would always have been just a little bit faster it could be easy to digest.

We known from PC that for those games the difference between a new regular SSD and new very fast NVME can be almost nill (maybe it become something more interesting after months of usage and them being 80% full, etc...), thus for regular game that didn't knew about the PS5 when they were compiled/made, we could expect the faster CPU to always win until game made for the PS5 or patch for the older one get made.

That said once in the game the giant difference of time are harder to expect, 68% slower in some scenarios, 2.5 more time to do something in others, sound like more the small difference in CPU power is going on, maybe it is just retrocompatibility not being good on the PS5 at the moment and say nothing on how PS5 game will perform.

Can we compare with:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/pcie-4-ssd-game-load-time-benchmarks-performance

According to that on a Samsung 970 evo on a PC with a ryzen 3700x (maybe the closest to the console CPU if we undervolt it)
Destiny 2 title to characther selection
PC: 22.6 s
Xbox series: 34s
PS5: 50 s

I have an hard time finding other time on a PC, but if it is representative of load time for games made for those consoles (something we can doubt) that would be quite underwhelming if after all the hype that it is much much slower loading games than a 2019 medium-high PC system. That gear 5 example seem to indicate that it will be a complete different affair for optimized game.

Same would go with AAA game not able to be fully run at 30 FPS with dynamic 4K while people stressed for HDMI 2.1 not sure if 60 fps at 4K would be enough.

Looking good for my pre-orders. Amazon I was a little worried about since I got the "may not arrive at launch" e-mail... but it updated today to say arriving Tuesday. Best Buy pre-order says "will ship by Tuesday".

Now I just need to snag a PS5 on Thursday and life will be good.

Looking good for my pre-orders. Amazon I was a little worried about since I got the "may not arrive at launch" e-mail... but it updated today to say arriving Tuesday. Best Buy pre-order says "will ship by Tuesday".

Now I just need to snag a PS5 on Thursday and life will be good.

I'm on the same boat I got the same "may not arrive at launch" e-mail." but I'm not really worried as my Xbox series x pre-order is for my 15-year nephew Christmas present so if it gets here a month from now I'm fine with it. My PS5 order from Walmart just says "getting ready to ship" let's see if gets here since I already have the extra controller, charging station, and currently have 3 games already mark for shipping via Amazon.

Last edited:
I'm on the same boat I got the same "may not arrive at launch" e-mail." but I'm not really worried as my box series x pre-order is for my 15-year nephew Christmas present so if gets here a month from now I'm fine with it. My PS5 order from Walmart just says "getting ready to ship" let's see if gets here since I already have the extra controller, and charging station, and currently have 3 games already mark for shipping via Amazon.

I'm pretty much in the same situation. Of my two pre-orders, one is for me, one is a gift. Sounds like the Amazon one is still tracking to be here tomorrow, Best Buy says it will ship tomorrow. The one that comes tomorrow will be for me, the other just needs to arrive before Christmas.

My Amazon pre-order is still showing not yet shipped and that they will email once they have an estimated ship date. I do live fairly close to a number of different Amazon DCs here in the Phoenix area but am slowly loosing faith that I will see it tomorrow.

My Amazon pre-order is still showing not yet shipped and that they will email once they have an estimated ship date. I do live fairly close to a number of different Amazon DCs here in the Phoenix area but am slowly loosing faith that I will see it tomorrow.

Mine has shown "Arriving November 10th" for a few days now, showed "delivery date pending" prior to that. It updated to shipped last night, with no additional information. This morning, the following was added "8:39 AM Delivery appointment scheduled US", but otherwise no actual movement. Now showing "Arriving tomorrow by 9 PM". I live in the NW Chicago suburbs, near Amazon's colossal Kenosha warehouse. It's extremely rare for me to have an Amazon delivery that doesn't ship the morning of the delivery date. I don't expect any additional updates on the tracking until it leaves the warehouse tomorrow. Usually my Amazon deliveries arrive early in the morning, between 7 and 8AM. If everything moves as it should, I shouldn't have to sit around waiting tomorrow.

I hope yours ships, but it's a bit odd that the delivery date it still pending. How soon did you order? I was on it within seconds of it going live. My order confirmation came 9/22 10:55AM (CST)... don't know how soon it came after I ordered, but I do recall Amazon was well behind the 10AM time that pre-orders went live.

Back