Xbox series X

been seeign a few of these on reddit and I hate you all, being in Canada I don't think we even have these contests :( Congrats though, if you dont have gamepass yet make sure you go to the deals section and take advantage of the super cheap 3 year gamepass deal.

yeah idk how to do that. I am currently paying monthly for gamepass ultimate.

yeah idk how to do that. I am currently paying monthly for gamepass ultimate.
basic break down,
1 - cancel your monthly gamepass sub
2 - Purchase 3 x 12month xbox live gold codes from any retailer still selling them. I used Costco this time but normally I use Gamivo, didn't use them this time since there prices shot up form $33 to $40+, and thats only if your ok with grey market sites.
3 - Go to this site (click here) and upgrade the xbox live gold
4 - you are now a winner

This only works if your gamepass is expired, so when you cancel your current gamepass sub cancel it immediately (it should give you a refund on the un-used balance). If you just turn off the auto-renew you have to wait for the current gamepass sub to expire before you do this.

basic break down,
1 - cancel your monthly gamepass sub
2 - Purchase 3 x 12month xbox live gold codes from any retailer still selling them. I used Costco this time but normally I use Gamivo, didn't use them this time since there prices shot up form $33 to $40+, and thats only if your ok with grey market sites.
3 - Go to this site (click here) and upgrade the xbox live gold
4 - you are now a winner

This only works if your gamepass is expired, so when you cancel your current gamepass sub cancel it immediately (it should give you a refund on the un-used balance). If you just turn off the auto-renew you have to wait for the current gamepass sub to expire before you do this.

So I bought the 24 month code from Costco... do I redeem it online and then upgrade after right?

So I bought the 24 month code from Costco... do I redeem it online and then upgrade after right?
correct, again make sure your gamepass ultimate is fully canceled and in-active right now. If you claim the 24 month card while it still active you would only get 8 months of gamepass ultimate (they only give a 1:4 ratio for current gamepass customers). But as long as your gamepass is expired just apply the code then go to the xbox live gamepass upgrade page and click upgrade. It will bill you 1 month of gamepass then upgrade your xbox live gold into gamepass ultimate

DmO-SGBU4AA8K8V?format=jpg&name=900x900.jpg

Pretty sure the 1$ Gold > Ultimate upgrade is a one time deal

Pretty sure the 1$ Gold > Ultimate upgrade is a one time deal

Yar, it is - I found this out when I upgraded earlier this week.

However, the Gold 1:1 Ultimate conversion still works on expired accounts.

Yar, it is - I found this out when I upgraded earlier this week.

However, the Gold 1:1 Ultimate conversion still works on expired accounts.

Hope so , i bought 3 gold yearly subs but it turns out you cant have more than 3 years and i already like a few months of gold left on me so i got a 1 year gold sub waiting

Hope so , i bought 3 gold yearly subs but it turns out you cant have more than 3 years and i already like a few months of gold left on me so i got a 1 year gold sub waiting

Yar, I'm hoping it sticks around for awhile. My son's subscription expires Oct 18th, so I plan on doing the 1:1 conversion 'trick' for him as well - but there's always that nagging doubt MS will close that loophole.

My Walmart order changed from "ordered" to "Item processing" Last Friday, I take that as a good sign that my order wont be canceled on me lol

xsx order.JPG

Costco has it on sale right meow if anyone still looking for one

xbox x and you get an extra controller :LOL:

Last edited:
External drives tested for backwards compatible games:

- Older games do not benefit from Velocity architecture so not a big difference when using external nvme via USB cable vs internal nvme.
- Standard external ssd was close to external nvme in speed, and standard hdd lagged far behind as expected.
- External ssd ran loaded much faster on Seies X than One X due to faster cpu, better i/o.

Best bet is to put all older titles on an value external ssd and you still get the benifits of faster load times as well. The Series S should be able to get the same benifits as well.

Last edited:
I am sure these things will come down in price over time. I only have 1tb now with my X1X and I am surviving.

Better wait for a decent priced 2tb external than buy this 1tb , maybe next year
not loving this marketing model vs Xbox One allowing any usb drive or PS5 with its pcie4 slot , also not liking the fact that there's only 1 slot for this and no usb-c connection

Still , got one ordered , last time I had launch model was the xbox 360 , that didnt go so good with rrod on 2 units, hope they have a smoother launch.

First real test on Series X of next gen games:

Loading times with Velocity Architecture was said to be very good.

Performance. There are 3 modes.

Quality: Mostly 4k prioritizing image quality with only a few drops from 60 fps.

Frame Rate: Steady 60 fps with lower image quality dropping from 4k a little more often

120 fps: Steady 120 fps with much worse image quality running a dynamic 1440p.

Overall very impressive stuff.

First real test on Series X of next gen games:

Loading times with Velocity Architecture was said to be very good.

Performance. There are 3 modes.

Quality: Mostly 4k prioritizing image quality with only a few drops from 60 fps.

Frame Rate: Steady 60 fps with lower image quality dropping from 4k a little more often

120 fps: Steady 120 fps with much worse image quality running a dynamic 1440p.

Overall very impressive stuff.

I briefly ran through IGN’s review and they stated that this was not a good example of a next-Gen game to showcase at all. They said it was just meh, I guess. Lots of content but nothing really next-gen ish to write home about. Wait for better games!

I briefly ran through IGN’s review and they stated that this was not a good example of a next-Gen game to showcase at all. They said it was just meh, I guess. Lots of content but nothing really next-gen ish to write home about. Wait for better games!

Not a showpiece by any means but it's good to see the enhanced features like 120 fps working well.

100%... this is just a uninteresting arcade racer and not really "next-Gen." I wasn't impressed either, however it's hard to be impressed by video on YouTube. Maybe later this year we'll have better examples... maybe "The Medium?"

Amazon has a shitload of the new controllers in stock at $59 for anyone who wants/needs one. They supposedly don't ship until release day, but I've seen new system accessories ship early in the past. They're supposed to work with the X1's wireless adapter for the PC, so I might end up ordering one.

Yeah I dunno about those IGN comments.

Certainly, Dirt 5 is probably cross-gen. It won't be the best looking racing game ever. However, the detail and effects in the terrain, lighting, and shaders, is way higher than Onrush: the last gen game, on which Dirt 5's engine is based. And trackside detail is also very high and quite dense. And its doing it all at 4K.

Not to mention, it has a 1440p 120fps mode. Which a last gen console could never hope to touch.

I think it absolutely is a nice taste of next-gen.

And finally, the devs keep babbling on social media about how the press preview builds are quite a bit behind the current code. I wouldn't be surprised if the final build has higher settings active in every mode.

The fact that any of the launch/near-launch games are shipping with 120fps modes, is a good sign.

And finally, the devs keep babbling on social media about how the press preview builds are quite a bit behind the current code.

I don't understand why they would do that. I realize code changes and you are constantly improving but before sending out your trial to people who will write about your game at least have as damn close to the final product as possible... because a lot of people base their purchasing decisions on the impressions of other people.

The consoles are ready to go...

Less than a month to go. Anyone else getting hyped?
Hard for me to get hype considering I won't be able to get one. Anyone who didn't pre-order I bet is gonna be out of luck.

Hard for me to get hype considering I won't be able to get one. Anyone who didn't pre-order I bet is gonna be out of luck.
Yeah more than likely. Microsoft did say they will have them in stores on launch day but who knows how many. Luckily I won one from Taco Bell... lol.

I don't understand why they would do that. I realize code changes and you are constantly improving but before sending out your trial to people who will write about your game at least have as damn close to the final product as possible... because a lot of people base their purchasing decisions on the impressions of other people.

From my understanding it's because those builds are stable enough to be shown off and they tend to use those preview builds for a while. Having to make a brand new build every single time would eat up a ton of resources and recent builds are not always going to be in a good enough state to the shown off.

Power/heat tests:

Overall very quiet and does well at removing heat. Most backwards compatible games run 160-170w even at 120fps while Gears 5 peaks around 210w. Here is a comparison to the One X which ran much slower.
20201019_120620.jpg

Back