Xbox series X

With the Series S, I think MS is just creating problems for the gaming industry overall. Now publishers will build their games to cater to the lowest common denominator this next generation which is the Series S and by extension even the older Xbox consoles. So we'll be stuck with inferior games the next 5+ years. I don't buy the whole bs about "well its the same RDNA2 but meant for 1080p/1440p" because obviously it can't do RT so there goes that feature and it will barely hit 60 fps in most games so the devs will have to create games w/shittier assets. I was hoping Microsoft would wise up and sell off the Xbox division to someone and stick to cloud computing because that's where they're making money anyway.

I personally plan to get a PS5 this year, I hated consoles but with all the hacking going on in MP games for PC (which is all I basically play), I've got zero reason to upgrade my PC anymore and now that PS5/Xbox allow KB/Mouse for Warzone and other BR games, this next gen of consoles should be perfect with xplay turned off.

With the Series S, I think MS is just creating problems for the gaming industry overall. Now publishers will build their games to cater to the lowest common denominator this next generation which is the Series S and by extension even the older Xbox consoles. So we'll be stuck with inferior games the next 5+ years. I don't buy the whole bs about "well its the same RDNA2 but meant for 1080p/1440p" because obviously it can't do RT so there goes that feature and it will barely hit 60 fps in most games so the devs will have to create games w/shittier assets. I was hoping Microsoft would wise up and sell off the Xbox division to someone and stick to cloud computing because that's where they're making money anyway.

I personally plan to get a PS5 this year, I hated consoles but with all the hacking going on in MP games for PC (which is all I basically play), I've got zero reason to upgrade my PC anymore and now that PS5/Xbox allow KB/Mouse for Warzone and other BR games, this next gen of consoles should be perfect with xplay turned off.

Except it can do RT, they already claimed it can. Also, you can't pretend H represents all PC gamers either, low-midrangre dominates the Steam charts. Devs have to cater to all the $200-$300 gpus out there, which should fall in line well with what the series S can do.

What Sx can do at 4K, Ss can do at 1080p seems legit to me. Time will tell, but I don't see this hurting much.

Sometimes I can't tell if people are trolling, so apologies in advance.

The series S is causing a problem for game development as a whole?
https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
Game developers for Xbox:
1. Spend a year or more creating a game for the Series X.
2. Spend a week or so modifying the game to work on Series S as well by scaling down resolution and textures.
3. Try and make it work for One and One X, which will take significantly more time.

Cloud computing for gaming? Stadia exists, just not sure how it is doing. Not my cup of tea.

Except it can do RT, they already claimed it can. Also, you can't pretend H represents all PC gamers either, low-midrangre dominates the Steam charts. Devs have to cater to all the $200-$300 gpus out there, which should fall in line well with what the series S can do.

What Sx can do at 4K, Ss can do at 1080p seems legit to me. Time will tell, but I don't see this hurting much.

Devs don't cater to the PC market, they port to it. Logically, how is a Series S GPU which has 20 CU and 1/3rd the TFLOPs of the bigger version going to pull off RT worth a shit? It won't, I don't care what MS claims.

Sometimes I can't tell if people are trolling, so apologies in advance.

The series S is causing a problem for game development as a whole?
https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
Game developers for Xbox:
1. Spend a year or more creating a game for the Series X.
2. Spend a week or so modifying the game to work on Series S as well by scaling down resolution and textures.
3. Try and make it work for One and One X, which will take significantly more time.

Cloud computing for gaming? Stadia exists, just not sure how it is doing. Not my cup of tea.

See above, the steam survey is pointless because the vast majority (if not all) AAA games are made for consoles. If all we had was XBX and PS5 then we'd see games w/more generous RT and higher resolution assets being ported to PC and really pushing it and forcing those guys on old PC hardware to upgrade or get left behind. As it is now with the Series S, those low end guys on Steam will just keep hanging on to that trash outdated hardware. Sony is moving on by making PS5 exclusive games that can't be ported to PS4 but MS is trying to spread out their console generations and generate more sales because the XBOX division keeps getting destroyed by Sony on every release.

20200909_195051.jpg

Devs don't cater to the PC market, they port to it. Logically, how is a Series S GPU which has 20 CU and 1/3rd the TFLOPs of the bigger version going to pull off RT worth a shit? It won't, I don't care what MS claims.

Crytek has RT running on the crysis remaster on Xbonex and PS4pro so a faster console with the hardware capabilities should work just fine given some time.

See above, the steam survey is pointless because the vast majority (if not all) AAA games are made for consoles. If all we had was XBX and PS5 then we'd see games w/more generous RT and higher resolution assets being ported to PC and really pushing it and forcing those guys on old PC hardware to upgrade or get left behind. As it is now with the Series S, those low end guys on Steam will just keep hanging on to that trash outdated hardware. Sony is moving on by making PS5 exclusive games that can't be ported to PS4 but MS is trying to spread out their console generations and generate more sales because the XBOX division keeps getting destroyed by Sony on every release.

Let me try and follow your logic.

You are saying Microsoft needs to consistently release state-of-the-art hardware while dropping support to older hardware in which they have subscriptions with so that PC owners can get even better ports as the older consoles will hold them back.

Wow.

.... As it is now with the Series S, those low end guys on Steam will just keep hanging on to that trash outdated hardware...

80% of all Steam users are holding on to their outdated trash because Microsoft announced the Series S.

Double wow.

Hold old are you by the way?

80% of all Steam users are holding on to their outdated trash because Microsoft announced the Series S.

Double wow.

Hold old are you by the way?

Old enough to know how the market has worked since Atari 2600. How about you? Aside from your snide remarks and useless Steam hardware survey link, you haven’t said shit as a counterpoint.

Old enough to know how the market has worked since Atari 2600. How about you? Aside from your snide remarks and useless Steam hardware survey link, you haven’t said shit as a counterpoint.

So you followed the market some 40 years. Fact is, PC gamers having to suck off the teat of console gamers is a relatively new concept.

Game developers will go where the money is. And ever since Sony and MS started having similiar architecture circa PS4 era, targeting consoles was the top priority.

So you followed the market some 40 years. Fact is, PC gamers having to suck off the teat of console gamers is a relatively new concept.

Game developers will go where the money is. And ever since Sony and MS started having similiar architecture circa PS4 era, targeting consoles was the top priority.

Good to know you agree with me.

Good to know you agree with me.

Agreed on the problem, not the solution.

Your solution seems to be that MS should force game developers to immediately stop support of older hardware and not try to get new casual gamers on board which would have gone towards Nintendo otherwise.

It is the equivalent of getting mad at LG, an LCD manufacture because new options and innovation are killing the crt options.

Agreed on the problem, not the solution.

Your solution seems to be that MS should force game developers to immediately stop support of older hardware and not try to get new casual gamers on board which would have gone towards Nintendo otherwise.

It is the equivalent of getting mad at LG, an LCD manufacture because new options and innovation are killing the crt options.

I'm not saying they should discontinue support. They can keep supporting their old console for another year or two. But I do think they should push the market forward with XBX and get developers to maximize it's hw potential so we see it translate to the PC side of things.

I'm not saying they should discontinue support. They can keep supporting their old console for another year or two. But I do think they should push the market forward with XBX and get developers to maximize it's hw potential so we see it translate to the PC side of things.

Ok let's imagine that MS didn't release the Series S and we are now 3 years in the future with developers no longer supporting the older systems. After making the newest console game, they decide make the effort and port to PC. Would the lowest they target be Series X levels of performance? What about Nintendo? Do they ignore them? Heck, the way Nintendo hardware has been, their next console will probably be on Series S levels of performance.

So really 2 outcomes as far as developers go.
1.) Sony/MS only produce high end consoles. Later they will have to port to both Nintendo and PC to maximize products.

2.) Sony and/or Microsoft produce and easy to develop for lighter console to grab some of the casual market which perhaps is enough so that they only need to port to the PC.

Option 2 seems more preferred for the developers and will be just as good for pc gamers, if not better as turn more focus can be on the pc port.

Ok let's imagine that MS didn't release the Series S and we are now 3 years in the future with developers no longer supporting the older systems. After making the newest console game, they decide make the effort and port to PC. Would the lowest they target be Series X levels of performance? What about Nintendo? Do they ignore them? Heck, the way Nintendo hardware has been, their next console will probably be on Series S levels of performance.

So really 2 outcomes as far as developers go.
1.) Sony/MS only produce high end consoles. Later they will have to port to both Nintendo and PC to maximize products.

2.) Sony and/or Microsoft produce and easy to develop for lighter console to grab some of the casual market which perhaps is enough so that they only need to port to the PC.

Option 2 seems more preferred for the developers and will be just as good for pc gamers, if not better as turn more focus can be on the pc port.

Well IMO Nintendo doesn't even factor into the equation right now since they're so far behind the hardware curve that they require specially built versions of existing games as it is. So we're left with Sony/MS as the driving force of game development which would have set a baseline of standards for certain features (e.g. RT) that can be accomplished when making a game. With the Series S and it's pitiful GPU muddying up the "next gen" console lineup, now those same developers would have to take it's hardware limitations into account when coding for how they use these effects and how often. The bar is set by what a modern console's hardware is capable of and that drives PC releases for 5+ years at a time. Sony had no problem with moving forward and creating PS5 games for PS5, I don't know why MS felt the need for Series S unless they projected internally that Series X's sticker price might not yield enough sales for them.

I understand your argument that the S is close enough to the X that they could just upscale the features and port them to the PC but the lowest common denominator factor still applies in that regard even for the consoles themselves. What could have been a game that pushed these consoles hard in the future might not be there because the Series S GPU will start holding it back so they'd have to possibly reduce the scope of the game. If there's some information I'm missing about Series S and what makes it so viable and great, I'd love to know.

Well IMO Nintendo doesn't even factor into the equation right now since they're so far behind the hardware curve that they require specially built versions of existing games as it is. So we're left with Sony/MS as the driving force of game development which would have set a baseline of standards for certain features (e.g. RT) that can be accomplished when making a game. With the Series S and it's pitiful GPU muddying up the "next gen" console lineup, now those same developers would have to take it's hardware limitations into account when coding for how they use these effects and how often. The bar is set by what a modern console's hardware is capable of and that drives PC releases for 5+ years at a time. Sony had no problem with moving forward and creating PS5 games for PS5, I don't know why MS felt the need for Series S unless they projected internally that Series X's sticker price might not yield enough sales for them.

I understand your argument that the S is close enough to the X that they could just upscale the features and port them to the PC but the lowest common denominator factor still applies in that regard even for the consoles themselves. What could have been a game that pushed these consoles hard in the future might not be there because the Series S GPU will start holding it back so they'd have to possibly reduce the scope of the game. If there's some information I'm missing about Series S and what makes it so viable and great, I'd love to know.

As far behind as Nintendo is in hardware, developers took it upon themselves to port over games like HellBlade and Wolf 2 for crying out loud. Why? There was just too big of a market not to. Having a Series S available may shift that.

As 'pitiful' as the Series S hardware is, dollars to donuts says that it would still surpass over half of the gaming PCs out there 3 years from now had it never existed.

As far behind as Nintendo is in hardware, developers took it upon themselves to port over games like HellBlade and Wolf 2 for crying out loud. Why? There was just too big of a market not to. Having a Series S available may shift that.

As 'pitiful' as the Series S hardware is, dollars to donuts says that it would still surpass over half of the gaming PCs out there 3 years from now had it never existed.

We'll see, I think with Ampere and even the next gen of GPUs coming in the next 3 years, the HW Survey will start changing just like it did with Pascal/Turing and Series S will still be stuck w/a weak GPU.

We'll see, I think with Ampere and even the next gen of GPUs coming in the next 3 years, the HW Survey will start changing just like it did with Pascal/Turing and Series S will still be stuck w/a weak GPU.

What is the percentage of users on 1060 & 470/570/480/580/590 class gpus today?

Also what is the percentage of 2060/2060super/2070 & 5600XT/5700 class GPUs today??

I'm kind of torn on the Series S. Unlike the PS5 "basic" where the only difference from the standard PS5 is it lacks a drive, the S series has significantly less GPU horsepower than the series X. I agree: the S series will likely move down the lowest common denominator to which devs must cater. On the other hand, the only reason I buy a console is to play a handful of exclusives and play games for prior gen, and in this scenario I really don't care about having the highest IQ -- the S series seems like it fits this need for me. On the other hand, good MSFT exclusives are few and far between (as opposed to the must-plays on PS), so I probably wouldn't by an S series anyway.

It's a bit of a paradox in that the S series is good for PC gamers who just want to play exclusives, but bad for PC gamers in that it's likely going to drag down devs from pushing the envelope.

What is the percentage of users on 1060 & 470/570/480/580/590 class gpus today?

Also what is the percentage of 2060/2060super/2070 & 5600XT/5700 class GPUs today??

1060 will be at the top but we also had a very expensive generation with Turing so a lot of Pascal owners held out on moving up. However, going back to Aug 2016-Aug 2017 period, 1060 went from 0% to 6.52% which is pretty substantial with nearly 18% of the market up to last year which is huge for a discrete GPU. Ampere w/its cheaper prices and soon Big Navi should get a lot of 1060 hold outs to finally upgrade along with people with even older cards that found Turing too expensive. I probably shouldn't have mentioned Turing in my post above since it didn't break very many sales records thanks to it's prices and perceived bad value.

Last edited:
I'm kind of torn on the Series S. Unlike the PS5 "basic" where the only difference from the standard PS5 is it lacks a drive, the S series has significantly less GPU horsepower than the series X. I agree: the S series will likely move down the lowest common denominator to which devs must cater. On the other hand, the only reason I buy a console is to play a handful of exclusives and play games for prior gen, and in this scenario I really don't care about having the highest IQ -- the S series seems like it fits this need for me. On the other hand, good MSFT exclusives are few and far between (as opposed to the must-plays on PS), so I probably wouldn't by an S series anyway.

It's a bit of a paradox in that the S series is good for PC gamers who just want to play exclusives, but bad for PC gamers in that it's likely going to drag down devs from pushing the envelope.

I agree, it's a got a dual appeal for PC gamers that want whatever exclusives MS might have (do they even have any left?) but years from now it will be the lowest common denominator which game devs will have to continue to take into account. If Series S becomes Microsoft's top selling console (which it very well may with that price tag) then we might end up seeing Series X out as an outlier that devs don't really care about and it's extra GPU power might go untapped. People have shown a taste for cheap products, just look at the Switch so this might allow MS to pull off a coup in the NA market but then PS 5 will be left standing w/only first party games that really push the envelope.

For me, besides exclusives, having the ability to cross save between my console and PC is important. IE: playing through an adventure game, not having access to my PC (say, on work travel, between GPU upgrades, or just wanting to be lazy on a couch), so I'd turn on my console and continue my game right where I left off on PC. Switch does it for a few games, but I feel like Xbox can really take it to the next level as there's a lot of shared library between the two platforms.

I've entertained the thought of making a tiny PC for this purpose, but you just can't beat the value and 'plug in play' nature of a console.

the Xbox series S is approximately the size of an RTX 3080

Yar, it's tiny. Not that the XSX is overly huge (would easily fit in my suitcase or tucked in a corner on my desk) but that XSS takes it to a new level. I'm curious to see how well its 4K upscaling works.

1060 will be at the top but we also had a very expensive generation with Turing so a lot of Pascal owners held out on moving up. However, going back to Aug 2016-Aug 2017 period, 1060 went from 0% to 6.52% which is pretty substantial with nearly 18% of the market up to last year which is huge for a discrete GPU. Ampere w/its cheaper prices and soon Big Navi should get a lot of 1060 hold outs to finally upgrade along with people with even older cards that found Turing too expensive. I probably shouldn't have mentioned Turing in my post above since it didn't break very many sales records thanks to it's prices and perceived bad value.

You are stuck in the [H] echo chamber.

Quick scan and about 30% of pc users have 980ti/1070/1660 super or better levels of performance.

Lets imagine that becomes over 50% in the next few years by some miracle even though the majorority of mobile gamers will not see that performance for a long time. Even if that is the case, there will be a good percentage of those with sufficient GPUs that have crap cpus or storage devices. The gpu is not the only thing to consider.

Did you forget that laptops exist or something? You think Activision or whoever that is working on CoD Black Ops 5 in 2023 or whatever wasn't going to try and target laptop buyers?

If the Series S was the absolute baseline that developers really had to plan for, I am sure they would be thrilled.

You are stuck in the [H] echo chamber.

Quick scan and about 30% of pc users have 980ti/1070/1660 super or better levels of performance.

Lets imagine that becomes over 50% in the next few years by some miracle even though the majorority of mobile gamers will not see that performance for a long time. Even if that is the case, there will be a good percentage of those with sufficient GPUs that have crap cpus or storage devices. The gpu is not the only thing to consider.

Did you forget that laptops exist or something? You think Activision or whoever that is working on CoD Black Ops 5 in 2023 or whatever wasn't going to try and target laptop buyers?

If the Series S was the absolute baseline that developers really had to plan for, I am sure they would be thrilled.

You’re shifting the goal posts, you posted steam hw survey and marees asked about desktop GPUs so I mentioned it. I doubt the developers of any modern game are worried about the guy on a 10 year notebook running Windows 7, they aren’t the target for modern games even if they are counted in the overall % of GPUs just like Intel integrated GPUs don’t matter. The Series S is a weak link in this console cycle, the PC share of GPUs is irrelevant as it doesn’t dictate game and engine development. You going off on a tangent about Series S being better than grandma’s old Windows 7 laptop is again irrelevant.

Last edited:
You’re shifting the goal posts, you posted steam hw survey and marees asked about desktop GPUs so I mentioned it. I doubt the developers of any modern game are worried about the guy on a 10 year notebook running Windows 7, they aren’t the target for modern games even if they are counted in the overall % of GPUs just like Intel integrated GPUs don’t matter. The Series S is a weak link in this console cycle, the PC share of GPUs is irrelevant as it doesn’t dictate game and engine development. You going off on a tangent about Series S being better than grandma’s old Windows 7 laptop is again irrelevant.

I was shifting any posts, I am jist mentioning laptips as you think that a bunch of gtx 1060 owners will upgrade soon drastically bringing up the lowest common denominator for pc game development which completley ignores laptop gamers which make up a large portion of sales.

The point is, there is no way that the Series S is hindering pc game development in any way. You first develop for the Series X. That is your base line and simply scale up or down from there. The only thing you lose is rendering power and proportional vram/bandwidth when scaling to the Series S. That does not hurt pc game development in any way.

When modifying from the Series X version to pc, you will have some more constraints. Yes, you can have even higher textures, resolution and fps. Thats stuff is easy. But you also have to develop it to work well without nvme, much slower cpus (3.5 ghz zen 2 8 core is not fast, but will be ahead of the curve for years to come) and any other variations like slower system ram.

To say that the Series S will in any way hinder PC game development when you have a Nintendo Switch, a huge user base with the PS4, and "gaming laptops" with mostly gtx 1650 graphics is completely insane.

Today, Dolby announced that their Dolby Vision HDR technology will be making its way to console gaming: exclusively launching on the Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X...other platforms to follow

huge Thumbs Up! 👍

https://twitter.com/Dolby/status/1304132679324053511

Pretty cool. Wonder if this will make it more common on PC. A handful of EA titles have a dolby vision option, but I've never been able to get it to work. I assumed the windows baked in HDR broke it.

Confused. Dolby said this will be a new exclusive to the Series X/S, but the One X had support

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-xbox-series-x-will-be-the-go-to-console-for-hdr-gaming-heres-why

"Microsoft ATG principal software engineer Claude Marais revealed that, by using a machine learning algorithm, the team was able to generate a full HDR image from SDR content – on any backwards compatible title.

"And when Microsoft says any backwards compatible title can receive the HDR treatment – it means any title. The Digital Foundry team was stunned to see Fusion Frenzy – an original Xbox game that was released almost 20 years ago – running with real HDR."

Confused. Dolby said this will be a new exclusive to the Series X/S, but the One X had support

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-xbox-series-x-will-be-the-go-to-console-for-hdr-gaming-heres-why

"Microsoft ATG principal software engineer Claude Marais revealed that, by using a machine learning algorithm, the team was able to generate a full HDR image from SDR content – on any backwards compatible title.

"And when Microsoft says any backwards compatible title can receive the HDR treatment – it means any title. The Digital Foundry team was stunned to see Fusion Frenzy – an original Xbox game that was released almost 20 years ago – running with real HDR."

HDR refers to basic HDR

There are 3 technologies on top of that:

HDR 10+ supported by Samsung
HDR Dolby Vision supported by Dolby & licensed partners
One more for HDR streaming on TVs I think

EDIT:
The 3rd one is HLG
Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG) is a royalty-free[73][74] HDR standard jointly developed by the BBC and NHK.[73] HLG is designed to be better-suited for television broadcasting, where the metadata required for other HDR formats is not backward compatible with non-HDR displays, consumes additional bandwidth, and may also become out-of-sync or damaged in transmission.

HDR refers to basic HDR

There are 3 technologies on top of that:

HDR 10+ supported by Samsung
HDR Dolby Vision supported by Dolby & licensed partners
One more for HDR streaming on TVs I think

From tech radar above:

"Unlike PlayStation 4, the Xbox One X already supports both HDR10 and Dolby Vision, which is noticeably missing from Sony’s platform. Dolby Vision is Netflix’s HDR standard of choice and has also been adopted by a growing library of 4K UHD Blu-Ray. It’s safe to assume, then, that Xbox Series X will retain these features."

Xbox One supported DV for video. I don't think any games used it.

Except it can do RT, they already claimed it can.

It *can*, meaning the hardware is there to do it. But that doesn't mean it can do it at an appreciable speed. You aren't going to see any appreciable ray tracing on the XSS; heck, I doubt you'll see it used much on the XSX either.

My wife's RTX 2060 can do RT. Good luck playing anything with it enabled, though. At least if you care about performance.

It *can*, meaning the hardware is there to do it. But that doesn't mean it can do it at an appreciable speed. You aren't going to see any appreciable ray tracing on the XSS; heck, I doubt you'll see it used much on the XSX either.

Just like how pretty much all games work now between the base and upgraded current gen consoles, I doubt there's going to be much difference in terms of image quality and settings outside of resolution between the Series S and X, so whatever games support RT on series X will probably have it on Series S as well. Given we're already seeing limited RT support on current gen consoles too with the release of Crysis Remastered on Xbone X and PS4 Pro, I think that bodes well for support on next gen consoles.

My wife's RTX 2060 can do RT. Good luck playing anything with it enabled, though. At least if you care about performance.

Well just like on the higher tier cards at their intended resolutions, you pretty much need DLSS to negate the RT performance hit, which in games that support both, I have yet to see an instance where the 2060 couldn't keep performance above 50 FPS or so at 1080p. In Wolfenstein YB the 2060 can actually hit 4k/60 with RT and DLSS enabled, which I would expect from Doom Eternal as well once they eventually patch in support. Pretty sure the 2060 can play Control well above 60 FPS at 1080p with RT and DLSS enabled as well.

Back