Xbox series X

Same. I glanced at some of the new Samsung TV's after their announcement and they're much cheaper than they were a few years ago. They seem dead set on HDR10+ while it seems like Dolby is what they others are going with. As someone who is mostly using for gaming, I've only seem Dolby pop up a couple times. Optical disk movies seem to favor it, though.

Samsung doesn't want to pay the license for Dolby Vision, that is the only reason why they are pushing HDR10+. Everyone else is sticking with DV because it's been around for years, it's widely supported (especially on streaming platforms, which is where the average consumer gets their media these days). Also, Dolby in general is a name that most consumers know, and associate with high-quality media. DV support helps them sell TVs. Samsung thinks they are a big enough name that they don't need a Dolby logo on their box to stand out. And truthfully, they are right. Samsung makes over priced, under performing TVs. I think I'd probably label them as the worst value in TVs right now. And yet, they sell a ton, and the people who buy them think they're wonderful. Largely due to their phones, Samsung has sort of become the de facto choice for many when buying home electronics.. they are the Apple for non-Apple people.

DV has seen very little adoption in games. I think only EA games have supported it, and I'm not sure they even do anymore. I could never get DV working in EA games on my PC... maybe it works better on consoles? I never lost sleep over it... for all the praise people give to DV, I find the difference is often negligible on my LG OLED (in moves) and I've even come across a few where I think HDR10 looks better (The Last Jedi comes to mind, I've watched it off the disc with both HDR10 and DV, and preferred HDR10). At the end of the day, well done HDR looks good, and poorly done HDR does not, regardless of format. DV doesn't magically make anything superior.

Samsung doesn't want to pay the license for Dolby Vision, that is the only reason why they are pushing HDR10+. Everyone else is sticking with DV because it's been around for years, it's widely supported (especially on streaming platforms, which is where the average consumer gets their media these days). Also, Dolby in general is a name that most consumers know, and associate with high-quality media. DV support helps them sell TVs. Samsung thinks they are a big enough name that they don't need a Dolby logo on their box to stand out. And truthfully, they are right. Samsung makes over priced, under performing TVs. I think I'd probably label them as the worst value in TVs right now. And yet, they sell a ton, and the people who buy them think they're wonderful. Largely due to their phones, Samsung has sort of become the de facto choice for many when buying home electronics.. they are the Apple for non-Apple people.

DV has seen very little adoption in games. I think only EA games have supported it, and I'm not sure they even do anymore. I could never get DV working in EA games on my PC... maybe it works better on consoles? I never lost sleep over it... for all the praise people give to DV, I find the difference is often negligible on my LG OLED (in moves) and I've even come across a few where I think HDR10 looks better (The Last Jedi comes to mind, I've watched it off the disc with both HDR10 and DV, and preferred HDR10). At the end of the day, well done HDR looks good, and poorly done HDR does not, regardless of format. DV doesn't magically make anything superior.
LG's televisions are literally the only displays on the market that support Dolby Vision. HDR10+ is also a Samsung-specific format found only on Samsung televisions. HDR10 is more widely adopted, but it doesn't support dynamic metadata like the other two. HLG is royalty-free, but as far as I know there are no games that use it even though it has wide support among display makers. I actually can't think of any games that support Dolby Vision, either. I think Mass Effect: Andromeda does. Unfortunately this is a modern format war where consumers are losing out right now.

Personally, Dolby Vision looks best on my LG C8 for the media that properly supports it. Disney is shafting Dolby Vision for some reason, either directly converting HDR10 to DV or not including it at all on newer releases. For this reason, using The Last Jedi is a poor example to use when determining preferences between HDR10 and DV.

LG's televisions are literally the only displays on the market that support Dolby Vision. HDR10+ is also a Samsung-specific format found only on Samsung televisions. HDR10 is more widely adopted, but it doesn't support dynamic metadata like the other two. HLG is royalty-free, but as far as I know there are no games that use it even though it has wide support among display makers. I actually can't think of any games that support Dolby Vision, either. I think Mass Effect: Andromeda does. Unfortunately this is a modern format war where consumers are losing out right now.

Personally, Dolby Vision looks best on my LG C8 for the media that properly supports it. Disney is shafting Dolby Vision for some reason, either directly converting HDR10 to DV or not including it at all on newer releases. For this reason, using The Last Jedi is a poor example to use when determining preferences between HDR10 and DV.

Uhhh... What? I have three TVs in my home, an LG OLED, a Vizio M-Series, and a TCL 6-Series, and they all have Dolby Vision. So does almost every other non Samsung TV these days. You're also mistaken about HDR10+. It's a collaboration between Samsung, Panasonic, and Fox. Panasonic and Hisense both have TV's out that support both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision, but neither are available in the US.

As far as DV in games goes, the only company to support it that I know of is EA. Andromedia has it, so does Battlefield 1. Anthem and Battlefield 5 may as well, I don't recall. No idea on Fallen Order either, don't have it. DV never worked right on PC anyway, no idea if it's better on consoles.

I agree that, for most cases, DV looks best. That wasn't my point. More so, my point was that the difference is not substantial. Could I notice the difference watching the same movie side-by-side in HDR10 and DV? Sure. But of the movies I've watched in both formats, I've noticed so little of a difference that I usually end up questioning if it's a real difference at all or if it's in my head. There are very few movies where I could recall a specific scene looking better in DV. The leap from SDR to HDR is vastly more significant than HDR10 to DV. I don't really consider the HDR format war as detrimental to the consumer, at least not in the way other format wars have been. What I mean is... as the guy who bought into HD-DVD, my investment became a paperweight when the format failed. With HDR that's not going to happen, because neither the hardware or media are limited to one format. I doubt we will ever see a TV that utilizes HDR as we know it today and does not support HDR10. Likewise I don't think we will ever see a 4K disc released that does not support HDR10. Things get segregated when you get into dynamic-metadata HDR, we obviously have plenty of movies that support DV and not HDR10+, and there are a handful of HDR10+ movies that do not support DV, but in either case you'll always have HDR10 if your TV doesn't support a given films dynamic metadata HDR choice. Thus, even in a hypothetical future where DV looses a format war with HDR10+ and television makers stop supporting it, your entire collection of DV films will still have HDR that works on your HDR10/HDR10+ TV. Circling back to my comment that I still find the difference between the two very slight, I don't loose a lick of sleep wondering if DV is going to be replaced by HDR10+. Hell, I've ripped my collection of ~150 4K discs to a plex server, and that only supports HDR10 anyway. The convenience of Plex, and being able to stream my 4K discs anywhere in my house, supersedes the quality uptick I get by popping in a disk and getting DV.

Last edited:
Another games showcase promising "gameplay" to premiere next Thursday, July 23, at 0900 PDT/1200 EDT/1600 UTC. First campaign gameplay of Halo: Infinite is being promised.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/07/16/xbox-games-showcase-tune-in/

They've been touting this for a few weeks. Here's to hoping we see actual gameplay. I also hope they talk more about what's going on with the studio's they picked up over the last few years, and I hope they talk about / show off their supposed 4K HDR upscaling for all BC games.

Would be nice if we got a price and a release date, but I'm not expecting it. Both camps seem to be waiting for the other to announce first... really makes me wonder how close were going to get to launch before one of them breaks.

They've been touting this for a few weeks. Here's to hoping we see actual gameplay. I also hope they talk more about what's going on with the studio's they picked up over the last few years, and I hope they talk about / show off their supposed 4K HDR upscaling for all BC games.

Would be nice if we got a price and a release date, but I'm not expecting it. Both camps seem to be waiting for the other to announce first... really makes me wonder how close were going to get to launch before one of them breaks.
I am also wondering what the release strategy is at this point. Historically preorders usually start at or near E3 in June.

My biggest hope was to see some Fable, very pleased to see the rumors confirmed. I'm sure it's a long ways off, but I'll happily wait.

Sweet a new state of decay, loved the 2nd one. Hope they made a few gameplay improvements.

Microsoft accidentally reveals Xbox Series X Launch Date
Popular Xbox news YouTuber Rand al Thor 19 reveals in a video how the release date may be connected to ‘Yakuza: Like a Dragon’. According to the Xbox blog, the game is supposed to be a ‘launch’ title for the Xbox Series X. Jonathon Stebel, Communications Manager Sega of America wrote “Yakuza: Like a Dragon, an explosive new entry point in the acclaimed Yakuza series, will be releasing as a launch title on the next-gen Xbox Series X, with simultaneous releases on Xbox One and Windows 10 PC.

You can pre-order this game from the Xbox Live store as of now. November 12th, 2020 is the game’s release date. Since this game is a ‘launch title’, it implies that it will be launched along with the console.

https://www.essentiallysports.com/x...identally-revealed-release-date-esports-news/

Nah that doesn’t mean anything, games have released before their consoles before. It’s a goofy ass thing to do but I’m almost positive I’ve seen it happen. Of course it was only a few days before so this date is certainly near the actual launch.

Nah that doesn’t mean anything, games have released before their consoles before. It’s a goofy ass thing to do but I’m almost positive I’ve seen it happen. Of course it was only a few days before so this date is certainly near the actual launch.

Came to say the same. It's certainly possible... and I think based on what little we know sometime in November is pretty likely. But I would not call it concrete. For one, games for new consoles do often get released before the console itself. Usually only a few days, but it does happen. Likewise, "will be releasing as a launch title on the next-gen Xbox Series X, with simultaneous releases on Xbox One and Windows 10 PC" is ambiguous. I would call it a little more concrete if they said "will be releasing simultaneously on Xbox Series X, Xbox One, and PC"... but the fact that Series X appears to before simultaneous and the other two platforms appear after could be an indication that they really meant "simultaneous release on Xbox One and PC, with Series X available at launch." It's also possible we'll see Series X before that date. It's also not uncommon for "launch window" games, a.k.a games coming out before the end of the year, to be referred to as launch titles even though they aren't actually on shelves when the console releases.

I wouldn't read to much into this. November is a safe bet, as is sometime before Black Friday... but I wouldn't go requesting off work for the 12th just yet.

November 5th release date??

Xbox Series X/Xbox Series S controller unboxing

Since the controller is compatible with both generations, I think the controller will be available first

In this case, it seems looters in Chicago got hold of stock from best buy warehouses

So Microsoft's worst kept secret is out. They can't officially reveal the series S without announcing its price.

Maybe they might announce the price of Series S first, wait for Sony to announce price of PS5, then reveal the price of series X finally !?

Since the controller is compatible with both generations, I think the controller will be available first

In this case, it seems looters in Chicago got hold of stock from best buy warehouses

So Microsoft's worst kept secret is out. They can't officially reveal the series S without announcing its price.

Maybe they might announce the price of Series S first, wait for Sony to announce price of PS5, then reveal the price of series X finally !?

Why can't they reveal the S without revealing it's price?

I dont think it would make sense to put a price on the S and not the X. The S is still competing with the other two. It needs to be notably less expensive.

I'm not sure why Microsoft has been so secretive about the S. My guess is that it's not what we think. Maybe an Xbox one S or X rebrand? I don't see the logic in ushering in a new generation and then requiring all new games to run on slow hardware, the S would hold back the X. But take Xbox one hardware, rebrand it as the series s, make it digital only and focused on gamepass (so there is no way to accidentally buy series x games thinking they will work)... Now they have something, if it's cheap enough.

Just when I finally managed to get a $50 X1 controller on Amazon :p
I'll be curious to see if people are able to get these working with the PC wireless dongle.

Just when I finally managed to get a $50 X1 controller on Amazon :p
I'll be curious to see if people are able to get these working with the PC wireless dongle.

Without a doubt. Package says it works with series x/s, Xbox one, and PC, as well as mobile. If it works with all Xbox ones, that means it's not just BT (og did not use bt). It'll work with the dongle, I guarantee it.

Halo was pushed back to 2021 today.

A difficult decision I'm sure, to remove their flagship from the consoles launch. Based on what we saw, also the right decision.

I applaud MS for prioritizing the quality of the game over being able to say there will be halo at launch.

Halo was pushed back to 2021 today.

A difficult decision I'm sure, to remove their flagship from the consoles launch. Based on what we saw, also the right decision.

I applaud MS for prioritizing the quality of the game over being able to say there will be halo at launch.

Well yeah, the game play looked pretty boring. and the engine looked last-gen. If they didn't do this, they would once-again crater a console launch before it even happened.

Well yeah, the game play looked pretty boring. and the engine looked last-gen. If they didn't do this, they would once-again crater a console launch before it even happened.

While I agree the gameplay they showed wasn't exciting, I won't base my opinion of the game off of it. I think they focused more on showing off the open(ish) world than they did showing something interesting. Hopefully they have a lot more than what they showed off. Regarding the engine... it looks last gen because it is last gen. The game is coming out on both generations, which means it's got to be compatible all the way down to the Xbox One S, which we know is weak hardware. There is only so much they can do to make it look "next gen" when it has to support the weakest console of the last gen. I don't think more time will change that much. Unless they drop Xbox One support (they won't), I don't see where they would find room to improve. Halo has never been a looker, I don't know why people expected this to be any different.

If I could choose one thing for them to work on between now and the ominous "2021" release, it wouldn't be the graphics. It would be the game play. Make it interesting and varied with a passable enough story to justify playing the campaign. I'll buy a bad looking Halo game that is fun to play long before I'll buy a gorgeous looking Halo game that's a bore.

Here is a deep dive into the Series X's internals:

https://www.techpowerup.com/271115/...rdna2-architecture-and-zen-2-cpu-enhancements

Overall, hardware looks awesome. Renoir will definately do a better job keeping pace on the cpu side going forward than Jaguar did for last gen. Hardware is only the 'engine output' where as software and optimization is the 'power to the ground'. This is where consoles excel and the Series X has some impressive methods here as well.

More important than all of that will be the game selection. This is pretty much the 'track location'. This is like driving a super car in the ghetto if the games selection sucks.

Series S confirmed today, $299, release on November 10th. While not officiall, it's quite reasonable to expect Series X launching the same day. Rumored at $499.

Honestly, a solid lineup imo, especially if Sony is also targeting $499.

I am going to buy both consoles. But I'm going to buy the Xbox first and then maybe two weeks later I'll get the PlayStation 5. To me I think they did a really good job Hardware wise this iteration. It's worth it to give them my money.

Nice, now Sony can finally announce the PS5 at $400 and $500 for the Digital and Disk version respectively.

I still don't see much point in having an Xbox if you already have a gaming PC, but I'll prolly get one at some point still despite my Xbone X really only getting use for 360 BC titles. Between the Switch, PS5, and PC, I'm pretty much covered.

Nice, now Sony can finally announce the PS5 at $400 and $500 for the Digital and Disk version respectively.

I still don't see much point in having an Xbox if you already have a gaming PC, but I'll prolly get one at some point still despite my Xbone X really only getting use for 360 BC titles. Between the Switch, PS5, and PC, I'm pretty much covered.

Who knows when I'll get it. Just would like to have them. I'd much rather work on my physical and mental health more then sitting inside a house playing games. To me getting in shape is a really good feeling. PCs, gaming can't touch it.

But gaming is fun.

Who knows when I'll get it. Just would like to have them. I'd much rather work on my physical and mental health more then sitting inside a house playing games. To me getting in shape is a really good feeling. PCs, gaming can't touch it.

But gaming is fun.

Well gaming and fitness certainly aren't mutually exclusive. I commute to work on a bike 13 miles daily and also am at the gym for at least 90 mins after work 3-4 times a week and still game most evenings after work for an hour or two (lately Fall Guys on PS4 since it was free on PS+ and Control since it just came out on Steam). I'm also studying for and earning new certs in my job field every few months and have a family of four to keep up with, which I do plenty with homework help and family game nights. So I def like to have my options of gaming for when I can squeeze in time for it.

Well gaming and fitness certainly aren't mutually exclusive. I commute to work on a bike 13 miles daily and also am at the gym for at least 90 mins after work 3-4 times a week and still game most evenings after work for an hour or two (lately Fall Guys on PS4 since it was free on PS+ and Control since it just came out on Steam). I'm also studying for and earning new certs in my job field every few months and have a family of four to keep up with, which I do plenty with homework help and family game nights. So I def like to have my options of gaming for when I can squeeze in time for it.

That's cool. Good for you! I used to be an avid runner. But my life has been riddled with mental illness. I do triple the work a normal person with a healthy mind does. Plus I suffer from delusions and went through depression. I hear what you are saying. I just would rather surf the web and play age of empires when I have some free time. I don't like gaming to consume my precious social time. But everyone is different. Just some of us have it incredibly harder than others.

Good luck on the bike rides. I used to run 14 miles, 9 miles 10ks and 5ks daily when I was really healthy. I would spend 5 hours in the gym. But mental illness is a bitch.

Take care.

Microsoft made everything official today. All the rumored dates and prices are true. EA play coming to game pass at no additional cost. That's a big win for Ms.

MD doubling down on monthly payments, been saying for months that will happen. $25/$35 x 24 months for S/X and game pass ultimate (game pass, live, EA play). That's an incredible value that Sony has no answer to right now. It'll sell a lot of systems.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09...?ocid=Platform_soc_omc_xbo_fb_Photo_lrn_9.9.1

Last edited:
Microsoft made everything official today. All the rumored dates and prices are true. EA play coming to game pass at no additional cost. That's a big win for Ms.

MD doubling down on monthly payments, been saying for months that will happen. $25/$35 x 24 months for S/X and game pass ultimate (game pass, live, EA play). That's an incredible value that Sony has no answer to right now. It'll sell a lot of systems.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09...?ocid=Platform_soc_omc_xbo_fb_Photo_lrn_9.9.1

I am guessing this should also include xcloud

If flight simulator comes to xcloud and playable from xbox, then the cloud streaming data costs might be cheaper than game download data costs, I guess.

GamePass is a huge deal that they need to push more. Outside of existing gamers, not a lot of people are even aware of it. They should push it with mainstream advertising. You don't need exclusives if people can pay a low price each month and have access to your core titles.

Yar, very excellent pricing and value. I think this is their best strategy against Sony. Sony will have them beat on exclusives but I can't see Sony being able to provide as comprehensive a service as Game Pass (which will also include EA Play now).

Hopefully now Sony will reveal what their pricing is. They can undercut MS XSX, however, I'm not sure if they'll want to. $499.99 is pretty aggressive to start with. $449.99 for disc-based, $399.99 for disc-less?

I'm curious if this will cause GamePass on the PC to increase in price sooner than later. It's still only $5 per month since it's in beta right now.

Is MS expecting to not make money this round just so they can win this generation? Then turn around next gen and try to force all their anti consumer tactics lol. All this is moot tho if they still have no games.

Is MS expecting to not make money this round just so they can win this generation? Then turn around next gen and try to force all their anti consumer tactics lol. All this is moot tho if they still have no games.

So you are critisiszing the price is too low then? Got it. Had it been $600, "omg epic fail!"

No doubt that MS will lose money on these early on. That is expected. Apparently they are doing well enough that its subscriptions and software make up for it.

Not really sure why you are freaking out here. Everyone is an adult and can make their own choices, so stop with the snarkyness already.

ASFAIK, all Xbox One games will work on these machines and many will be forward optimized with little effort. No one has played all 1000 or so XBOne games so stop acting like there are "no games". This is now nearly as bad as somebody buying a GTX 3080 and saying there are "no games for it".

Consoles and even Xbox have been around long enough so let's stop acting like they are trying to pull something. Their here to provide entertainment and make money. Simple as that.

All this is moot tho if they still have no games.

Your thinking like a pc gamer. For the average gamer, consoles are more than their exclusives. Both consoles will obviously have all third party games. Microsoft, unlike Sony, has no ambiguity in BC. If it worked on Xbox One, it works on Series. That's a huge library across four console generations, massively larger than PS5s library. And game pass is an inexpensive way to play catch up for anyone who missed any previous Xbox generation.

Back