Xbox series X controllers on sale at $40

I bought the bright blue 'SERIES X' one from bestbuy cause i already had 3 black and 1 white in the house from the one x. I like the xbox controller for pc gaming and was ecstatic to check out the new design in action in a color i didnt have. Godspeed u blue devil.

Dang! Walmart cancelled my 'series x controller' order this morning & now all the prices are back up to MSRP. oh well.

I got my controller today and it’s a grip improvement for sure. It feels way better in the hand, the triggers are textured and feel nice also.
Glad I bought this one but upset I didn’t buy 2 of them. I’ll be on the lookout for a deal like this in the future. This new controller is awesome

Last edited:
I tried to do bluetooth only with Xbone controller and it sucked. Kept dropping, missed a bunch of button presses, etc. All with me sitting 3 feet from the PC. I got the one with the wireless dongle, and it is 50x better. No drops at all and decent range, I can walk around the room.

Just sayin.... for me it was worth the extra $10 or whatever to get the dongle version.

I was pretty happy with my old 360 controller until the stick got perma-drift and I made it worse by trying to fix it. Now that one rots in a drawer with a 360 dongle I will never use again.

I tried mine with the Bluetooth off my motherboard and it was a shit show. Plugged in my old Xbox one dongle that I used forever and not a single issue since.
I love this controller, the extra grip is a nice addition

Ordered one from Walmart, it got "delivered" but apparently to another house. I contacted support and they said they were oos so couldn't ship another, could only refund. Deal is dead so no controller for me.

Ordered one from Walmart, it got "delivered" but apparently to another house. I contacted support and they said they were oos so couldn't ship another, could only refund. Deal is dead so no controller for me.
Wtf. That’s awful. I’m sorry to hear that happened.

Wtf. That’s awful. I’m sorry to hear that happened.
I never have delivery issues, but walmart sent it some weird way where it said out for delivery but no tracking number, and it wasn't via UPS, USPS, or fedex. So who knows, they screwed up, hopefully we see that price again some time.

Sorry to hear that. Holidays seem to be messing up everyone's shipping. Case in point:

I don't have much faith that this item will ship and arrive at my house in one hour...

1607133593827.png

Edit, as expected: "Delayed, not yet shipped. We will email you as soon as this order ships. You won't be charged until then. We're sorry for the inconvenience."

Last edited:
One more difference I've noticed vs. the Xbox One pads = battery life. These last longer playing the exact same games and using the same rechargeable batteries. Roughly about 15-20% longer on my end, so that's a nice bonus.

If you are getting these for PC, I HIGHLY recommend getting the usb adapter. There are situations I have had using Xbox controllers via bluetooth, that kill your FPS is certain titles. I was stumped, why some older games were chugging on my high end desktop, and found out that it was when I used the controller via bluetooth. It is a known issue, and I could replicate it on my home theatre PC as well, so its worth the extra money to get the adapter IMHO.
The FPS issue only happens for me on BT when the controller batteries get low. Everything will be fine and then suddenly the FPS will drop to unplayable levels. That's when I know it's time to grab a new set of batteries out of the charger.

I always go for the ones with the diamond texture on the back like the blue one. It doesn't seem like much but my hands get sweaty and it holds surprisingly well
For whatever reason plastic textures make my hands sweat like crazy. Like, after a few minutes of gameplay. It's awful and incredibly uncomfortable, and if they're anything like the series S controllers I'll hate 'em. I think it's cool MS and Sony have added this feature to their controllers for people that prefer the texture, but I do wish there was a way they could cater to both groups.

As a follow up I got my controller 3 weeks ago and I really like it. The bluetooth is much improved and works on pc without any dongles. The right trigger now has a hair trigger that activates with almost no pressure, making it much more responsive for shooter type games. It's definitely a little more grippy than the old one, and the d pad is close to what the elite controller has on offer. Overall a great PC purchase.

I also like mine quite a bit. Bummed that the share button doesn't seem to be recognized on PC, at least not yet. I always appreciate having an extra button to bind.

I also like mine quite a bit. Bummed that the share button doesn't seem to be recognized on PC, at least not yet. I always appreciate having an extra button to bind.

Yeah, I don't think this controller is 100% supported yet. If you look under Devices & Printers, it's listed as a generic "XINPUT HID Device." All the previous models were identified by their name. MS hasn't really even given this one a name. It's just called "Xbox Wireless Controller" on the box and on their site. Games currently treat it just like the X1 controller for what it's worth.

Anyone have recommendations on which wireless adapter to buy? This is my first Xbox controller I'm attempting to use with PC, and I think there have been at least 2-3 different generations of the wireless adapter, going back all the way to the version that was released with the Xbox 360. From the comments here, I doubt my built-in motherboard's bluetooth will give a good experience. I currently play with a logitech control using a USB Extension cord, so I might just do that in the interim.

EDIT: I am guessing it's this one:
https://www.xbox.com/en-US/accessories/adapters/wireless-adapter-windows

MSRP is somewhat steep, particularly for a 1-player scenario.

Last edited:
Mine works great on pc. Make sure to update the firmware on the controller to get the best connection on your pc.

Anyone have recommendations on which wireless adapter to buy? This is my first Xbox controller I'm attempting to use with PC, and I think there have been at least 2-3 different generations of the wireless adapter, going back all the way to the version that was released with the Xbox 360. From the comments here, I doubt my built-in motherboard's bluetooth will give a good experience. I currently play with a logitech control using a USB Extension cord, so I might just do that in the interim.

That's the latest one. The older/larger Xbox One controller adapter will also work, too. I don't think it's any cheaper, so you might as well just get this one for the sake of knowing it'll work long-term. If you don't have a controller yet, they sell bundles that include both the pad and the controller. I bought one on sale from MS themselves (on X1X launch day no less) for $10 off retail.

That's the latest one. The older/larger Xbox One controller adapter will also work, too. I don't think it's any cheaper, so you might as well just get this one for the sake of knowing it'll work long-term. If you don't have a controller yet, they sell bundles that include both the pad and the controller. I bought one on sale from MS themselves (on X1X launch day no less) for $10 off retail.
Thanks! I bought one while they were on sale at Best Buy for $40, so at this point, I think I'll still come out ahead if I need to buy the adapter separately.

Thanks! I bought one while they were on sale at Best Buy for $40, so at this point, I think I'll still come out ahead if I need to buy the adapter separately.
It'll be well worth it. I had nothing but problems using an Xbox controller over BT. Bought the dongle and it's been perfect ever since.

I bought three controllers. Two of the standard for $40, and one for the PC at $60 with the bundled USB wireless adapter.

The wireless adapter isn't recognized in device manager, and I can't seem to install any drivers. I'm on Windows 10 v 20H2, which should be a compatible version, but still no joy. I've uninstalled the Xbox wireless device, re-inserted, restarted, installed the Xbox Accessories app. All nada.

All three new controllers seem to connect and work with my Xbox Series One Wireless fob, but weird it doesn't work with the new USB wireless adapter.

Guess I'll probably just wait and see if drivers fix this.
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help...roubleshoot-xbox-wireless-adapter-for-windows

View attachment 303051
I had the same issue, I had to manually install a driver from the microsoft update catalog. I attached a screenshot, it's the one at the very bottom. Right click on the XBOX ACC and manually browse to the file it can see in the .cab file you download. Hopefully this works for you too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-12-30 Microsoft Update Catalog.png
    Screenshot_2020-12-30 Microsoft Update Catalog.png
    69.5 KB · Views: 0
I had the same issue, I had to manually install a driver from the microsoft update catalog. I attached a screenshot, it's the one at the very bottom. Right click on the XBOX ACC and manually browse to the file it can see in the .cab file you download. Hopefully this works for you too.
always worked fine for me up until last week after a clean install, and I found this fix on reddit. Strange.

always worked fine for me up until last week after a clean install, and I found this fix on reddit. Strange.
Same here, did a clean install of win 10 pro after upgrading my sons mobo / cpu / ram and got a code 10 error each and every time I tried to set it up. Wonder what broke it, probably a windows update.

One of the larger biannual Windows update packs changed that driver to some other random version that seemed newer, but is really temperamental. I had this issue with my X1 controller. It would work, but then would randomly disconnect and unpair at random. That driver would fix things, but certain large updates would toss that weird driver back on.

That's the adapter I have. I play a ton of GTA:O and bought an Xbox Controller and wireless adapter just for it.
I attempted to use the native onboard Bluetooth pairing on my motherboard with the controller and always found the board's BT had just rather annoying input lag. That went away once I bought the adapter, feels perfect, like it's wired.

That's the adapter I have. I play a ton of GTA:O and bought an Xbox Controller and wireless adapter just for it.
I attempted to use the native onboard Bluetooth pairing on my motherboard with the controller and always found the board's BT had just rather annoying input lag. That went away once I bought the adapter, feels perfect, like it's wired.
Yeah I have that adapter too and I've never had a single issue. It's been on at least three installs of Windows over the last few years and it just simply is recognized and works flawlessly.

Been having constant problems with the new controller on pc either using bluetooth or wired. Some games it literally doesn't do anything, others it just walks me into walls. Sometimes when it works normally on bluetooth, it will cut out after 10 minutes or so and start bugging out. If you're buying this for pc I'd recommend checking some pc reviews specifically, as the normal xbox one x controllers I have all plug and play seamlessly.

I jumped on one today as my off brand wired controller had a thumbstick go out. Even at $50 its better then what walmart had(target, bestbuy and gamestock were OOS) and same price as local people wanted for their used ones. Howes battery life with normal AAs? Also is it possible to charge rechargeable AAs with it or is it proprietary battery pack only thing.

I asked via MS chat about batterys, this is what they told me:
"Alright, the batteries, included in the controller can not be replaced by another batteries, such as AAs, this is built in batteries, design for controller only"

Last edited:
I jumped on one today as my off brand wired controller had a thumbstick go out. Even at $50 its better then what walmart had(target, bestbuy and gamestock were OOS) and same price as local people wanted for their used ones. Howes battery life with normal AAs? Also is it possible to charge rechargeable AAs with it or is it proprietary battery pack only thing.

I asked via MS chat about batterys, this is what they told me:
"Alright, the batteries, included in the controller can not be replaced by another batteries, such as AAs, this is built in batteries, design for controller only"

The hell?
That sounds like you spoke to some outsourced call center from India...

Xbox Series X controllers use AA batteries, just like the Xbox One controllers do, so eneloops are fair game.
It's the Elite 2 controller that has a rechargeable battery pack, not the Xbox series X controller.

https://www.ign.com/articles/no-xbo...ing-it-has-to-use-aa-batteries-in-controllers
https://www.reviewgeek.com/59640/the-best-xbox-series-x-s-accessories/

You still have the option to buy a rechargeable battery pack, but why would you, when Eneloops exist?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/xbox-rechargeable-battery-usb-c-cable/8thsbp49z46x?atc=true

The hell?
That sounds like you spoke to some outsourced call center from India...

Xbox Series X controllers use AA batteries, just like the Xbox One controllers do, so eneloops are fair game.
It's the Elite 2 controller that has a rechargeable battery pack, not the Xbox series X controller.

https://www.ign.com/articles/no-xbo...ing-it-has-to-use-aa-batteries-in-controllers
https://www.reviewgeek.com/59640/the-best-xbox-series-x-s-accessories/

You still have the option to buy a rechargeable battery pack, but why would you, when Eneloops exist?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/xbox-rechargeable-battery-usb-c-cable/8thsbp49z46x?atc=true

The rechargeable battery pack I purchased was good because you dock the controller on it :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EADTVLW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes, during the $40 BB deal I picked up 3 and put rechargeable AA's in all 3. Work like a charm.

Something interesting I've noticed with these controllers that does not seem to happen to prior versions: analog drift back to neutral in Steam. After pressing in a direction really hard, it takes a second to return completely to neutral. Meaning if I press down and then let go, it continues to register as a very slight downward press well after I've let go. It even happens in games where the analog stick mimics a digital pad, like fighting games. Yet it's also only happening in Steam. The "Xbox Accessories" app doesn't seem to show it, either. Just an FYI for anyone else encountering some weirdness.

20210115_132531.jpg

Got mine today, 3 days late. Worked outta the box with my A7. This thing is super grippy, haven't had much use of the D pad but it and the ribbed thumbsticks feels better then my wire xbox1 controller. Haven't yet noticed any problems returning to center, but I also haven't hooked it to the laptop to try it there.

Can you plug in the the controller and recharge them that way ?

I plugged mime in and got a vibrate indication from it but no lights indicating it's charging the two rechargeable batteries I put in it. I'm going to go with possibly but unconfirmed

Wanted to give an update here since I finally opened this controller after it was sitting in my closet for more than a year (I gave it as a gift to my brother, as his Logitech F710 wasn't working in Xinput mode in Windows 10)

At first, we tried a secondhand official wireless adapter we got from eBay. It was DOA, but the seller was great about sending a quick refund.

On a whim, he then bought the following $2 adapter. We figured we'd give it a shot before investing the $25-30+ for the official adapter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Blueto...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

So far, it seems to be working fine. He's not a heavy gamer, so it could be that he hasn't run into any connectivity issues yet due to his use case.

Still, it may be a cheap way to test out the wireless functionality.

Now, if these controllers could only come in sale again...:D

(I am still using a wired Logitech F310, and have a spare in the closet).

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
from that link, the elite wireless v2 are on sale for $140, which is better than normal...

Back