xbox series x controller disconnecting from bluetooth on win 11 during gaming

jarablue

[H]ard|Gawd
I have updated the controller firmware via wire on my pc and cleanly removed the controller from device manager and bluetooth and rebooted and reinstalled the controller. The controller still disconnects from bluetooth randomly.

Is there a fix for this?

The thing is when no game is playing it never disconnects. When a game is on, it disconnects.

Get the wireless dongle as already mentioned and you will never have any issues.

I have learned the Xbox Series X even Xbox One controller is very sensitive compared to the ps5 controller when connected to the PC. Having a Blue Tooth adapter that is visible seemed to help a ton. Not sure why this is as it is not a problem on the XBOX console itself.

I have learned the Xbox Series X even Xbox One controller is very sensitive compared to the ps5 controller when connected to the PC. Having a Blue Tooth adapter that is visible seemed to help a ton. Not sure why this is as it is not a problem on the XBOX console itself.
All I know is that blue tooth is dodgy at the best of times.

Seems to work okay here. I have my BT dongle plugged into a usb port on my keyboard and I think it's because it works best there. It's a shite no name one too from Amazon.

I have an issue with random disconnects on Series X. It seems it's completely random. I always play wired when using the controller on my PC.

I also have never got any xbox controller to work with bluetooth. I mean it kinda works with huge lag and disconnects. Never had a issue with the dongle either.

I think it's just because most Bluetooth adapters are hot garbage. A few years ago I tested a pile of them and pretty much any USB BT adapters or older add-in card adapters = flaky. At best they work fine but drop inputs. Literally all of them did. Sometimes only around 1/10 inputs would get lost. Sometimes closer to 1/4. At worst they would randomly disconnect and drop a lot of inputs, too.

The newer Intel Wi-Fi/BT combos work fantastically, though. Trick is, for the cost of one you could just buy the office Xbox dongle which works even better via USB. At least if that's the only controller you're using. The PS5 pads either have to use BT or be hard-wired.

The newer Intel Wi-Fi/BT combos work fantastically, though. Trick is, for the cost of one you could just buy the office Xbox dongle which works even better via USB. At least if that's the only controller you're using. The PS5 pads either have to use BT or be hard-wired.
For what it's worth, my 8bitdo SN30+ works flawlessly with my motherboard's Bluetooth.

For what it's worth, my 8bitdo SN30+ works flawlessly with my motherboard's Bluetooth.

Do you know what kind it is? Usually the built-in ones are Intel. I'm rocking one, too, and it's great. The little mini add-ins work more or less the same although they're using the small form factor m.2 and won't fit every system.

Do you know what kind it is? Usually the built-in ones are Intel. I'm rocking one, too, and it's great. The little mini add-ins work more or less the same although they're using the small form factor m.2 and won't fit every system.
Intel 802.11ac Wave2 CNVi WIFI + Bluetooth 5. I can get the exact model in a bit.

EDIT: Intel Wireless-AC 9560

Last edited:
I have an issue with random disconnects on Series X. It seems it's completely random. I always play wired when using the controller on my PC.
I used to until I started using the later versions of controller firmware. Once upgraded a lot of problems went away atleast for me.

They update firmware on both Xbox and PS5 pads rather often. If anyone is having trouble and they're using a new'ish BT adapter, it's worth instigating. Just download the "Xbox Accessories" app in Windows 10/11.

I have this issue as well. I have an add on intel pcix wifi / bluetooth card. I did the controller firmware update but still get random disconnects while gaming.

Back