Xbox Series S was available all day on 7/23 must have had a ton of stock come in (old post locked)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about going from the One X to the Series S? I would leave my One X connected for things like Blu ray playback.

The S is actually still a capable device. The X comes up with more FLOPs due to higher amount of processing power, which further allows 4k gaming. The S, on the other hand, is fine up to 1440p. At least what I've seen over their charts.

I have both the Series S and Series X consoles hooked up to different TVs.

For 1080p / 1440p the Series S is a hell of a bargain and in most games it doesn’t feel like a “cut down” experience.

Some games like Cyberpunk 2077 actually perform BETTER on the Series S.

ManofGod from what I’ve read it wouldn’t be a worthwhile update from the one X. Some games might run a bit smoother but IIRC you can’t enable the One X enhancements on a series S, so it might even be a “downgrade” in that respect.

I’ve got a One S right now and all my games are on an external SSD, so this would be a decent upgrade as the internal storage space isn’t really an issue. The One S is my (occasional) blu ray player for the few UHD discs I have, though.

How about going from the One X to the Series S? I would leave my One X connected for things like Blu ray playback.
Visual Fidelity is really the only place where the One X beats the Series S. With the Series S you get:
- Way faster loading times.
- Much better frame rate albeit a lower resolution.
- Much lower power consumption. Not a big deal for all but it has been great in our camper where power is limited. Also lower heat output.

Xbox series s has been in stock at sams club for some time now. Everyone wants the disc version.

Well, it appears anyone but me, that is. I just realized I watch absolutely no live TV and probably put a DVD or Bluray in about once every 3 months or so. Therefore, I will just keep my One X for that purpose and use the Series S for everything else, which I am trying out now.

Well, it appears anyone but me, that is. I just realized I watch absolutely no live TV and probably put a DVD or Bluray in about once every 3 months or so. Therefore, I will just keep my One X for that purpose and use the Series S for everything else, which I am trying out now.
The thing about the Series X is it's got better video than the Series S. I'm pretty sure the Series S is a video downgrade from the One X. That's one thing Sony got right...AFAIK, the only difference between their 2 models is the drive.

That said, I grabbed a one X from Wallyworld about 2 months ago then sold my One X for 350.

The thing about the Series X is it's got better video than the Series S. I'm pretty sure the Series S is a video downgrade from the One X. That's one thing Sony got right...AFAIK, the only difference between their 2 models is the drive.

That said, I grabbed a one X from Wallyworld about 2 months ago then sold my One X for 350.

On paper, the video of the One X to a Series S would be a downgrade. However, in real life, I have not found that to be the case. On the other hand, Series X is not available so...... :)

Last edited:
I had a series s first then got a series x. On a 4K tv, there was no doubt in which one I liked better. Also the series s storage situation sucks. I don’t think the series S has really ever been in as much demand as the series x. Anyway I sold the series s, just for me wasn’t cutting the mustard.

The worst part of the Series S for me is the very limited SSD capacity; 512GB is severely limiting for more than a few modern games and MS's overpriced $200 1TB expansion card is a very impractical upgrade for it. But at least you can use a cheap external HDD to backup games to and if you're just a light console gamer I can see how the XSS can be appealing. I know the Digital PS5s (or any PS5) are unicorns still, but I still couldn't spend $300 on a XSS when $100 more gets you a much better console and library once supply catches up to demand.

Personally I already have both PS5 and XSX and mostly play the PS5 for its exclusives and some of the decent PS+ games they've been giving away monthly (just played through Plague Tale - great game), while only using the XSX for older 360 exclusive and arcade games I have since I have a decent PC already and can stream games to the living room via Steam Link app on my Shield TV. But I like all games and game hardware so I got the XSX anyways. I'll prolly play it more once all these game studio acquisitions start paying off in the next few years (at which point I'll prolly have to trade these consoles for their mid-gen Pro/X upgrades again).

The worst part of the Series S for me is the very limited SSD capacity; 512GB is severely limiting for more than a few modern games and MS's overpriced $200 1TB expansion card is a very impractical upgrade for it. But at least you can use a cheap external HDD to backup games to and if you're just a light console gamer I can see how the XSS can be appealing. I know the Digital PS5s (or any PS5) are unicorns still, but I still couldn't spend $300 on a XSS when $100 more gets you a much better console and library once supply catches up to demand.

Personally I already have both PS5 and XSX and mostly play the PS5 for its exclusives and some of the decent PS+ games they've been giving away monthly (just played through Plague Tale - great game), while only using the XSX for older 360 exclusive and arcade games I have since I have a decent PC already and can stream games to the living room via Steam Link app on my Shield TV. But I like all games and game hardware so I got the XSX anyways. I'll prolly play it more once all these game studio acquisitions start paying off in the next few years (at which point I'll prolly have to trade these consoles for their mid-gen Pro/X upgrades again).

When you price out a high end NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, it then shows that the 1tb Expansion is not overpriced.

Honestly, I think people just don't want them. I've seen in-stock multiple times.

Which pretty much meant at least one for me. :) Besides, I can always return the Series S and 1TB expansion by the 23rd of August, if a Series X becomes available. :)

I'm still waiting for a Series X to replace my One X. Had it in my cart 2 separate times for Target instore pickup at 4 am this morning and missed out on both of them. I have no idea how people are checking out so quickly, everything is saved and I still couldn't get checked out in time.

I'm still waiting for a Series X to replace my One X. Had it in my cart 2 separate times for Target instore pickup at 4 am this morning and missed out on both of them. I have no idea how people are checking out so quickly, everything is saved and I still couldn't get checked out in time.

I am guessing scalpers and bots, most likely.

I am guessing scalpers and bots, most likely.

Microsoft has screwed this up so bad, we should be able to go into our xbox accounts and put in an order for one and they ship it when they have stock. I've day one purchased the original xbox, the 360, the One, the One S and One X and now we're 9 months since release and it's still impossible to get a Series X.

Didn’t they do something for Xbox insiders where you can do exactly that, ND40oz ? I thought I read something about it but haven’t got around to setting up the insider app on my one S yet.

Honestly, I think people just don't want them. I've seen in-stock multiple times.
To each their own, but the Series S has been the best console I have owned having gone back to the NES. Much of this has to do with the unlimited software when paired with Gamepass Ultimate at $180 for 3 years. It's low power so cooler and quieter than most I've owned. Graphics are more than adequate with great frame rates. Quick load times really takes the cake.

I really don't mind the 380 GB or so usable space. I only cycle through a couple of AAA games and classic games at a time and they transfer pretty quick back and forth to my external 5tb hdd.

Didn’t they do something for Xbox insiders where you can do exactly that, ND40oz ? I thought I read something about it but haven’t got around to setting up the insider app on my one S yet.
I'm signed up through the insider app. 17 years of xbox live gold membership and I'm on the Alpha skip-ahead ring, crickets for being able to get a Series X through Insider though. If you can't tell, I'm a bit bitter about the whole thing.

ugh, that sucks. I guess it sounds nice on paper but if they’re not doing anything to get them to insiders while shipping them off to target and Newegg and whoever else it’s really just paying lip service to “loyal Xbox gamers.”

:(

we ordered some laptops at work last week and the quoted shipping time was “September”. So I’m just gonna go out on a limb here and say the shortages aren’t going away anytime soon.

I have been a few years behind in picking up my consoles, so I’ve gotten the mid-cycle refresh of the 360, One, PS4. At this rate they might not even need to refresh the Series consoles - just making them easier to find in a few years would be an improvement.

I love my S but the internal nvme allows enough disk space for maybe 2-3 AAA games and the 1tb upgrade costs $190-$220 which is more than half the cost of the system. Desparate for space, I installed an external 2tb slow-bro laptop drive today with a $10 usb3 interface and will see how it does with legacy games. "Series Enhanced" games require you to use the internal storage. Emulation is indeed pretty nice via Retroarch but I couldn't tell you how to use it properly even with youtubes help.

Oh, and the Series X is plain fugly.

I love my S but the internal nvme allows enough disk space for maybe 2-3 AAA games and the 1tb upgrade costs $190-$220 which is more than half the cost of the system. Desparate for space, I installed an external 2tb slow-bro laptop drive today with a $10 usb3 interface and will see how it does with legacy games. "Series Enhanced" games require you to use the internal storage. Emulation is indeed pretty nice via Retroarch but I couldn't tell you how to use it properly even with youtubes help.

Oh, and the Series X is plain fugly.
It may be ugly, but us X owners are not complaining about 2-3 AAA games maxing out our storage. Sorry man, had to poke you with that one.

Heh. It’s 4-5 AAA games for Series X!

I’d definitely have preferred to see 2tb in game systems launching in 2020.

or at least an option for upgrading the storage with non-proprietary parts.

I had no idea you could load emulators on the Xbox. Might actually consider a series s for this.

Don't forget to blame the other scapegoat, miners!
Lol, folks whining about series x at this point have just been asleep at the wheel. And even if they have, even scalpers on ebay are charging may be 670 for it? Easiest thing to get this gen in my experience and no I do not use bots....

Lol, folks whining about series x at this point have just been asleep at the wheel. And even if they have, even scalpers on ebay are charging may be 670 for it? Easiest thing to get this gen in my experience and no I do not use bots....

So, if you are willing to pay scalping prices, you can get one, eh? Got it.......

Asleep at the wheel? I've had exactly one store to buy them locally since release, the base Exchange and they've had a total of 5 since release day for a base of 20k people which they did a raffle for. How many have you found online available for purchase that ship APOs? This is an issue and Microsoft or Sony for that matter has done nothing to fix it.

Lol at above comments, they go on weekly sale on target, ms store and Walmart. The point of the $670 price was to point out that there is barely a premium over retail price (550 with tax) compared to other products like GPUs because the supply is significantly better. And as for APOs, I've seen them be available for hours on shopmyexchnage and even costco....do the work folks, whining here doesn't help your cause.

Lol at above comments, they go on weekly sale on target, ms store and Walmart. The point of the $670 price was to point out that there is barely a premium over retail price (550 with tax) compared to other products like GPUs because the supply is significantly better. And as for APOs, I've seen them be available for hours on shopmyexchnage and even costco....do the work folks, whining here doesn't help your cause.

Costco doesn't ship to APOs, shopmyexchange has not had them in stock for ship to store. They are not easy to get, especially when they should be $499, I'm not paying $170 extra for one to support the scalpers that are ruining things for everyone else.

Costco doesn't ship to APOs, shopmyexchange has not had them in stock for ship to store. They are not easy to get, especially when they should be $499, I'm not paying $170 extra for one to support the scalpers that are ruining things for everyone else.
You forgot tax. It's more like a $120 difference. It's not much of a markup for the eBay seller since they eat a 13% fee between eBay and PayPal too.

Last edited:
You forgot tax. It's more like a $120 difference. It's not much of a markup for the eBay seller since they eat a 13% fee between eBay and PayPal too.

No tax at the Exchange or when shipping to an APO for that matter. I don't care about their seller fees, I'm not going to eat any additional fees just to get one.

No tax at the Exchange or when shipping to an APO for that matter. I don't care about their seller fees, I'm not going to eat any additional fees just to get one.
That's a privilege for your service, and only some states like OR and DE get that honor, generally speaking. In CA and many other places you have to swallow a 10% (on average) kick in the butt everytime...

That's a privilege for your service, and only some states like OR and DE get that honor, generally speaking. In CA and many other places you have to swallow a 10% (on average) kick in the butt everytime...
Which is fine, people choose to live in those states. But I'm not going to pay the sales tax for another state on top of a premium on an Xbox to someone that's flipping it for a profit. It would cost me an extra $170 to do so, not $120.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back