XBOX Scorpio to Feature 4K 60fps Video Capture and Streaming

cageymaru

Fully [H]
WindowsCentral has quoted sources that say that the new XBOX Scorpio console will feature 4K 60fps video capture and streaming to MIcrosoft's Beam service. That's certainly a step up in performance from the current 720p30 fps that the XBOX One S can do. They also said that they were told that the power supply would be internal, but who cares about that. 4K 60fps streaming will mean that this console is in another league when it comes to power. Now can they get the games to run consistently at that speed is the question. I hear that they are supersampling older games for the 1080p TV crowd.

For serious content creators, Project Scorpio could become a critical 4K video game capture solution for making clips for YouTube videos, shunning the need to pick up oft-expensive external capture cards. Today's 4K video game capture cards are not only quite rare but tend to be even more expensive than 1080p solutions.

With every bit of information we receive about Project Scorpio, the theme of native 4K keeps appearing — not only for games, but also console features. We now believe Scorpio will sport 4K Game DVR, 4K Blu-ray playback, and 4K streaming apps, but the real showstopper will be the 4K games Microsoft will likely flaunt at E3 2017.

who cares about an internal power supply? Spoken like a person who has never owned or seen the last few generations of consoles before. The power brick for the Xbox One is damn near 1/2 the size of the console. Having that internal is a massive change that alone will make me buy one day one regardless of anything else. That damn near made me buy a One S because they did that there but have been waiting for this instead.

What if the power supply fails? Now you cannot troubleshoot with another PSU and are forced into repair/replacement fees.

Kill_it_with_Scorpio.gif

Xbox with an internal power brick? The thing is going to be the size of a microwave.

xbox.jpg

If Phil Spencer delivers he may have replaced J Allard as the xbox goat.

What if the power supply fails? Now you cannot troubleshoot with another PSU and are forced into repair/replacement fees.
Worth the risk imo, external psu suck ass. In my experience literally everything else fails on consoles before the psu. laser/motor, hard drives, gpu/cpu.. ect.

Funny thing is didnt the og xbox external ac burn down houses?

Not sure if it burnt down houses, but they definitely melted quite a bit of power cords. They released an updated AC adapter cord. Believe it had 'reset' buttons on it - reminded me of a bathroom appliance cord.

Reactions: blkt
like this
Worth the risk imo, external psu suck ass. In my experience literally everything else fails on consoles before the psu. laser/motor, hard drives, gpu/cpu.. ect.

My friend's 360 power supply crapped out; replaced it and he was back up and running. Original Xbox PSU was internal.

i wonder what cpu and gpu it's going to use, is it jaguar, ryzen, vega , polaris, pascal ?
and what i need to know is if scorpio is going to be a standalone console with it's own exclusives, or just a buffed up xbone like the ps4 pro.
and last is V, are they making their own VR headset or are they still going with oculus deal, bethesda is talking about VR fallout...

My xbone psu made a loud pop and the built in smoke came out the other day while watching Netflix. $40 instead of a new console, tyvm

Not sure if it burnt down houses, but they definitely melted quite a bit of power cords. They released an updated AC adapter cord. Believe it had 'reset' buttons on it - reminded me of a bathroom appliance cord.

Reminds me of my first broadband modem, had some issues with it and when the techncian came he was surprised to see I still had that antique PSU on my modem, most of those gave out years b4 mine did.

Sounds like this is going to be a beast but I wonder about the price tag. With all these features, it's sounding like it might be coming in at $499 considering everything.

Hopefully devs will just make better looking games and upscale. I'd rather have 1080p-1440p with decent graphics than low quality graphics just to hit the native 4k suggestion.

i wonder what cpu and gpu it's going to use, is it jaguar, ryzen, vega , polaris, pascal ?
and what i need to know is if scorpio is going to be a standalone console with it's own exclusives, or just a buffed up xbone like the ps4 pro.
and last is V, are they making their own VR headset or are they still going with oculus deal, bethesda is talking about VR fallout...

Microsoft has already answered that. It is NOT a new console but is a Xbox One reversion 2 (if you count the S as version 1.1 instead of rev 2). So it will be just like the PS 4 Pro. Any game for the system is supposed to be made to work with the original Xbox One system as long as that is technically possible. That is the part that keeps making people think that Microsoft is dropping out of consoles as they said that the Xbox One is the last console generation and instead we will just see hardware refreshes to it. The same that Sony is doing. Which I am fine with, as they continue with backwards compatibility more and more Xbox 360 games will make their way to the system and any games purchased down then will continue to work on all future versions without the need to worry about a change in hardware between one release to the next making it impossible to play old games like was the case originally with the change in generations.

As for VR, don't think they have said anything about that yet. After last year though it didn't sound like they were making their own hardware though as they had different people showing off VR headsets that worked with Windows 10.

I'm going to guess and say that 4k 60fps streaming != Expected output of games.

That just means that if you're playing a very cartoony (not GPU intensive game) title, you can probably get the full power of the streaming chip.

That, or you'll be able to stream that 1080P30 title in glorious 4k60!

This is great news. I can finally watch someone else play games on my games console.

Maybe they will come up with a great business model where they will charge people to access this streaming content...but the very people paying for it will also be the content creators, of which Microsoft will be the legal owner of the content. Can you imagine that? Charging employees to do work. Brilliant!

lol what a retarded fucking ad, those ms apes are completely disconnected from reality, what the fuck was that lol

This is reaching AMD levels of hype. Fully prepared to be underwhelmed by the final product. Let's face it, these recent consoles haven't exactly given us something to cheer about.

So whats the GPU in this gonna be? Sounds like it could be running some late revision Pascal they get for cheap with Volta coming shortly afterwards.

I've been console gaming for I don't know how many years. I've never had a console with an internal power supply fail on me yet.

That just means that if you're playing a very cartoony (not GPU intensive game) title, you can probably get the full power of the streaming chip.

Yeah, important distinction there...does not say anything about games running at 4k / 60 FPS.

Yeah, important distinction there...does not say anything about games running at 4k / 60 FPS.
Yep. An i3 with integrated graphics could stream 4K@ 60FPS. Playing != streaming. They might finally get to 1080P @60FPS or 4k @15FPS but I doubt any higher.

The music in this video made me ill.

6 Tflops of gpu is roughly a gtx 980ti, or gtx 1070 in terms of just GPU compute, not the actual videocard package itself, which by the time this actually releases, will probably not cost much in the 10ish million volume order MSFT will put in for it. Factor in lower wattage and other cost cutting, heat saving factors, and that 6Tflop number will probably be some sort of .01% scenario non graphic benchmark simulation number.

Most people i know with a 10+ Tflop gtx 1080 on a mobo/cpu dedicated to gaming can barely squeak out 4k60 maxing out demanding games, and this isn't the first company to say they have the 'ultimate 4k graphics product' (AMD: FURY, who coincidentally are supplying this 4k60 chip as well cough cough).

HOWEVER: If this will twist developers arms to start developing games past the current console generation lifecycle, which would have otherwise continued to stagnate for a few more years, and bring in a new era of glorious textures and a decent mainstream VR experience, then God damn I hope you sell 100 million units.

I don't care if the PSU is internal or external. As long as they continue making them dual voltage, not like the stupid old ones.

I just hope they dont let the American auto maker industry design the case this time. In other words, no more fugly case designs! With all due respect the xbone S model is simple, but elegant.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. I mean let's look at the numbers for a moment: 4k at 60fps is 18x more demanding than 720p at 30fps. Somehow, I don't think the Scorpio is going to be 18x more powerful than the Xbox One.

I'm curious if they're going to continue to include the TV-passthru and Kinect features. After making such a big deal about that when the Xbox One launched, it feels like they don't care about that stuff AT ALL anymore. Yet that's the only use mine actually gets thanks to MS making their games available for PC now.

The music in this video made me ill.

6 Tflops of gpu is roughly a gtx 980ti, or gtx 1070 in terms of just GPU compute, not the actual videocard package itself, which by the time this actually releases, will probably not cost much in the 10ish million volume order MSFT will put in for it. Factor in lower wattage and other cost cutting, heat saving factors, and that 6Tflop number will probably be some sort of .01% scenario non graphic benchmark simulation number.

Most people i know with a 10+ Tflop gtx 1080 on a mobo/cpu dedicated to gaming can barely squeak out 4k60 maxing out demanding games, and this isn't the first company to say they have the 'ultimate 4k graphics product' (AMD: FURY, who coincidentally are supplying this 4k60 chip as well cough cough).

HOWEVER: If this will twist developers arms to start developing games past the current console generation lifecycle, which would have otherwise continued to stagnate for a few more years, and bring in a new era of glorious textures and a decent mainstream VR experience, then God damn I hope you sell 100 million units.

one thing to keep in mind is that a console can do more with like hardware in a PC. Games run better when they are made for a specific piece of hardware instead of having to check if it does or doesn't support a feature.

one thing to keep in mind is that a console can do more with like hardware in a PC. Games run better when they are made for a specific piece of hardware instead of having to check if it does or doesn't support a feature.

Unless I'm mistaken, They are still going to handcuff some performance by locking down capture and restreaming resources at all times so they will never quite tap it all :(

Back