Xbox sandbox game for 10 year old?

Jagger100

Supreme [H]ardness
My nephew wants a sandbox game. He really wants Saints Row 3 really which I hope is because of the screwy off the wall things you can do like Tron light cycles and the sandbox environment and not because he's interested in controlling a city's sex trade.

Anyway, SR3 isn't going to happen. And Dad need to seriously reconsider who he lets his kids play with but that's just me.

But as a consolation, are there any open world games that are oriented to a 10 year old.

The newer Lego games have kind of a sandbox feel to them; there is a lot to do between levels, with lots of unlocks and replay value for the levels. The ones that are pretty open between levels:

Lego Harry Potter 1-4, 5-7
Lego Star Wars III Clone Wars
Lego Pirates (maybe, I've only played the demo)
Lego Indiana Jones 2

If your nephew wants SR3 they may be too 'kiddy' for him. My wife and I love 'em though, lots of humor.

For now, there is FortressCraft on xbox.

I don't know of any other sandbox style games that aren't filled with some sort of violence or mature themes (GTA, Oblivion / Skyrim, Fallout, etc).

Well it may not need to be completely sandbox.

He liked a spiderman game I got him that basically allowed you to roam around the city and do missions at will or do whatever cropped up. There were key missions do that advanced the plot but had a free roam component. I use to think he liked it because it was spiderman or liked the gameplay, but now I think it was the free roam component that he liked.

A loosely structured RPG might suffice.

What about Bully? I think it does have some mature content, but nowhere near the level of Saints Row or GTA.

I dont know if "killing people" in games is inappropriate for a 10 year old, but I recall Just Cause 2 being pretty mild outside of plain vanilla video game violence.

Viva Pinata maybe. (it's sort of sandboxie, but not really open world)

Perfect game for a kid , lots of micro management and its pretty fun. I even played it and enjoyed quite a bit (even though its tailored towards kids with a animated series that aired on Nick).

I'd say Just Cause 2. I really couldn't see why the game got an M rating, I'd say it qualifies for a T easily.

Viva Pinata maybe. (it's sort of sandboxie, but not really open world)
This actually came with my xbox. Never touched it. It might have worked last year, but this year might be pushing it. Regret not getting rid of it sooner. I could give it to him and his younger brother as part of Christmas. His brother playing it or prodding him to play it will probably make him try it. If he likes it, he would continue to play it.

Just Cause 2 may be a good suggestion. My brother already gave him a military game which he regrets. Wishes he would have stuck with Sci-Fi shooters were there's more fantasy involved. But that milk is spilled.

Kameo was fun as an adult .. might not be "cool" enough for a 10 year old though ..lol

Toy Story 3 has "Toy Box mode" and it's supposed to be pretty good.

From Dust is a GREAT game imho. I'd get it for my son, but Just Cause 2 is also fun.

Back