XBox One X power cable issue

JoseJones

Gawd
Humm, my buddy's new XBox One X has died - played it for about a month and then it would not turn on any more. It turns out to be an issue with the provided power cable.

"The default cable included with the console is rated at 7 amps and 125 volts, while the replacement cable is rated 10 amps and 125 volts. In other words, any cable rated 7 amps or more and at least 125 volts should fix the problem" ... "Keep in mind that by using a third-party power cable, you risk voiding your warranty, so proceed at your own risk"

Fix your Xbox One X shutting down and not turning back on issues
http://windowsreport.com/fix-xbox-one-x-wont-turn-on/

Did your Xbox One X suddenly stop working? Maybe it’s a bad power cable
https://www.onmsft.com/news/did-your-xbox-one-x-suddenly-stop-working-maybe-its-a-bad-power-cable

"Xbox One is designed to be plugged directly into a wall outlet"

Any qualified Electrical Engineer knows that the quickest way to destroy an electrical device such as an XBox or even speakers is to under power them - this is very, very bad Microsoft ... basic electronics 101.

- The default cable included with the XBX console is rated at 7 amps and 125 volts, while the Nyko cable is rated 10 amps and 125 volts but voids the warranty.

- How on earth am I suppose to figure out if I'm getting the proper amps and volts through my XBX power cable or not and how in the world am I suppose to just "know" not to use a surge protector for the XBX to plug straight in to a wall outlet instead, especially when we get power surges fairly often?

- Most average homes only have a certain number of outlets in each room - usually just 4; often just one on each wall in an average size bedroom so, what Microsoft/XBox is asking is just not reality and was not thought through very well.

- What about plugging the XBX into a battery backup? We get power surges fairly often around here. What battery back up and surge protectors would be approved by Microsoft?

- My friends' new XBX stopped working due to the power cable issue; mine still works but how am I suppose to know if it has already been damaged in some way or not due to the power requirements?

- Microsoft says using a different power cable voids the warranty- then we need a Certified cable approved by Microsoft

- Microsoft needs to do the right thing and do a re-call on the XBX power cord and offer a Certified 10 amp 125 volt replacement

Nyko AC Power Cord
https://www.gamestop.com/accessories/nyko-ac-power-cord/1975

- Unplugging the XBox One X from a surge protector and then plugging directly into a wall outlet is *NOT* a solution - it is merely a temporary fix until a new XBox One X cable rated at 10 amps and 125 volts Certified and approved by Microsoft is availabe as a replacement

Don't daisy-chain surge protectors because it decreases power and could cause under-power damage

Interesting. I didn't know the power cables differed. I thought they were all the same. I had my original Xbox One plugged in to a surge protector and it died a little less than two years after getting it. Since then I've had my One S and now my One X plugged into the wall. Hopefully nothing happens to my One X.

At 115v, 7 amps is 800w. Plenty of power for the X.

A 1amp power cord isn't going to under power a 7 amp electronics device, it'll provide it until it burns itself up.

A 10 amp power cord isn't going to provide anymore power to a device that needs only 1amp than the 7 amp one will.

Daisy chaining surge protectors doesn't reduce available power; it potentially overloads the single outlet they're plugged into which is a fire risk. There's also some chance that the suppression components may interfere with each other and not provide the protection they were designed to.

Using a different power cable won't void the warranty unless the cable itself is the cause of the problem.

- Is it even ok to use the other plug in a standard two-plug outlet or is it best to only use one? Don't the two share the power since they're running off the same wire?

Microsoft DOES NOT Want You To Use A Surge Protector With The Xbox One X

APC Back-UPS Pro 1500VA UPS Battery Backup & Surge Protector (BR1500G)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Y24DEU/truthbeknownfoun

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
- Is it even ok to use the other plug in a standard two-plug outlet or is it best to only use one? Don't the two share the power since they're running off the same wire?

I think what happened here is your friend’s Xbox fried due to a defect and it has nothing to do with the power cord or surge protection. Power delivery isn’t some fancy thing MS is making it out to be.

Also not using a surge protector is just dumb. If you X gets fried by a power issue, so you think MS would warranty that? Nope they wouldn’t.

My setup would probably cause an OCD persons to explode.
My UPS has a power strip attached to it, then that power strip has one attached to it, and then the second one has one attached to it.
The last strip has my speakers attached to it and has the ground lifted to get rid of noise from the speakers.
The middle strip has my lighting attached to it and is plugged into a remote power interface so I can turn off the lights and speakers with a remote.
The first strip has my network stuff plugged into it and that stays on all the time.

My setup would probably cause an OCD persons to explode.
My UPS has a power strip attached to it, then that power strip has one attached to it, and then the second one has one attached to it.
The last strip has my speakers attached to it and has the ground lifted to get rid of noise from the speakers.
The middle strip has my lighting attached to it and is plugged into a remote power interface so I can turn off the lights and speakers with a remote.
The first strip has my network stuff plugged into it and that stays on all the time.
not OCD, but just averse to stupid power setups. :D

Isnt it a nema power cord with no ground pin?

I use a PC power cable on an Xbox 360 power cable I clipped the end on and use it as a 12 volt power supply for a DC to DC power supply in my main computer.

not OCD, but just averse to stupid power setups. :D

this is an older pic, but I only had one of those 3 prong to 2 prong adapters, so I just used it at the end of the strip for the speakers and sub.
Speakers are on the strip on the left.

IMG_4493.JPG

No issues with my Scorpio and its plug into a Belkin surge protector plugged into a APC battery backup. I thought the issue was end-user not plugging in the cable all the way in?

Why wouldn't it be okay? You do know that everything on that breaker, which is typically all the outlets in at least one room, runs on the same two wires, right? Hell, EVERY breaker in the panel is running on the same two wires coming from the POCO transformer, which also probably feeds the outlets in your neighbors house from the same taps.

So even if you ran an extension cord from another room, you won't be isolating your X from the effects of the surge suppressor your trying not to plug it into.

Why wouldn't it be okay? You do know that everything on that breaker, which is typically all the outlets in at least one room, runs on the same two wires, right? Hell, EVERY breaker in the panel is running on the same two wires coming from the POCO transformer, which also probably feeds the outlets in your neighbors house from the same taps. So even if you ran an extension cord from another room, you won't be isolating your X from the effects of the surge suppressor your trying not to plug it into.

You are assuming that everybody's home electrical has been done properly by the book and that is just not the case. I learned long ago - never assume anything.

You are assuming that everybody's home electrical has been done properly by the book and that is just not the case. I learned long ago - never assume anything.

There's nothing to assume here. Two wires come into every home. Those two wires wire are branched out to every circuit in the house. Every electrical device you plug in or hook up is wired in parallel. Even using a power strip is nothing more than adding more outlets to the same parallel wiring that's already in the walls. There's just no other way to do it. My point was directly related to your question "Don't the two share the power since they're running off the same wire?" and my answer was "All outlets on the same branch circuit share the power".

Wiring problems are a completely separate issue, and unless you're going to pop the plate off every socket you plug something into to check it or tear into walls, floors, and ceilings to make sure there's no hidden wiring problems, you kind of have to assume it's done right.

"Microsoft does not license any non-Microsoft accessories that plug into the Xbox One console's power socket. The use of any accessory other than the standard Xbox One PSU may damage your console and void your console warranty"
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/about-power-supply

If the accessory caused damage, yes your warranty would be voided. However, (at least in the US) the Magnuson-Moss warranty act prevents them from voiding your warranty for simply using something other than what a manufacturer permits UNLESS they provide that accessory at no cost.

Last edited:
I've used every console I've ever owned using the supplied cables and bricks plugged into a surge protector and I've never had an issue. I have 6 devices plugged into the strip on one outlet including my Scorpio and PC, and 4 devices plugged into another strip on another outlet including my PS4 and surround sound speakers. Every cable feels like room temperature to the touch after the attached devices have been on all day.

IIRC, Microsoft recommended NOT using a power strip for each generation of their console.

IIRC, Microsoft recommended NOT using a power strip for each generation of their console.

I do in fact remember this was a problem for the Xbox 360 and it's power brick. I had problems when having it plugged into a surge protector, but plugging it into the wall fixed my issues. I very distinctly remember that. Also, it is strange how long it took Microsoft and the Xbox to get on-board with internal power supplies. Sony never had a external power supply on any of their consoles. Just a straight plug. So I am not sure why Microsoft seems to have such a weird history with power-related things.

I do in fact remember this was a problem for the Xbox 360 and it's power brick. I had problems when having it plugged into a surge protector, but plugging it into the wall fixed my issues. I very distinctly remember that. Also, it is strange how long it took Microsoft and the Xbox to get on-board with internal power supplies. Sony never had a external power supply on any of their consoles. Just a straight plug. So I am not sure why Microsoft seems to have such a weird history with power-related things.
Both of my 360's, the original Elite and the latest slim one, were both hooked up to a power strip that was plugged into a UPS and neither had any issues.

Not true. The PS2 Slim had an external power brick. The thing was the size of a small book, though, so no room to stick one inside (preemptive TWSS).
Both of my 360's, the original Elite and the latest slim one, were both hooked up to a power strip that was plugged into a UPS and neither had any issues.
Same.

Not true. The PS2 Slim had an external power brick. The thing was the size of a small book, though, so no room to stick one inside (preemptive TWSS).

Damn. Didn't know that. Never owned the PS2 slim. I always had the launch console.

sosp2.jpg

Back