XBOX ONE X folks, check in here!

I was going to post that maybe with E-3 a game will come out that will make the system worth it.

I'm guessing they kept the 60fps setting in FH4 hands-off for E3 to keep the visual quality at maximum for those critical first impressions (the 60fps vs 30fps thing is meaningless to many people.)

The E3 demo was locked to 30 FPS despite the announcement that the game would be running at 60 FPS in its final release.

I'll be curious to see what the resolution will be set to, if you change to the 60 FPS mode. I wouldn't be surprised if it was locked at 1080p, but maybe it'll be slightly higher (like 1400p), or perhaps they'll implement a dynamic resolution.

EDIT: Seeing how good this game looks, and that there's now dynamic seasons, I'm even more eager to see the open world adventure/rpg game they're working on (rumored to be Fable). It would be awesome if they showed something at GamesCom this year, but who knows how far along they are.

Last edited:
I'll be curious to see what the resolution will be set to, if you change to the 60 FPS mode. I wouldn't be surprised if it was locked at 1080p, but maybe it'll be slightly higher (like 1400p), or perhaps they'll implement a dynamic resolution.

EDIT: Seeing how good this game looks, and that there's now dynamic seasons, I'm even more eager to see the open world adventure/rpg game they're working on (rumored to be Fable). It would be awesome if they showed something at GamesCom this year, but who knows how far along they are.

Yeah, I'm thinking it will be a combination of lower res (above 1080p but not full 4k) and slightly reduced LOD or other graphical tweaks like shadow resolution. It'll probably be 100% worth it though.

Gears is 1080p/60 and looks/runs like a million bucks. It's not that different looking compared to the PC version running cranked details. I wish every game would shoot for that. Take it to 900p if need be.
I'm still of the opinion that 60fps console games haven't caught on because they aren't being marketed. People don't even know what it is in most instances. I have friends that would go on an on about how "smooth" Call of Duty looked compared to everything else, but they didn't know why.

Forza 7 is native 4K/60 on the X. Granted, Forza 7 isn't a huge open map with a lot of detail. It will probably be doing dynamic resolution scaling like so many other games.

Random question - anyone know if there's a way to turn off the "console powers on when controller powers on" feature?

Random question - anyone know if there's a way to turn off the "console powers on when controller powers on" feature?
There isn't. If you want to pair a controller to a PC adapter, it shouldn't turn the paired Xbox on if you press and hold down the pairing button and Xbox button at the same time. Pairing to another Xbox can be done by just plugging it in.

If you want to pair a controller to a PC adapter, it shouldn't turn the paired Xbox on if you press and hold down the pairing button and Xbox button at the same time.

Thanks, I will give that a try (that was the exact issue I was trying to avoid :) )

Master Chief Collection update coming September 1 with 4K and HDR10 support, along with other enhancements. Unfortunately for PC gamers, is still not a Play Anywhere title. I had a little hope that we were finally getting the series on PC with this release, considering Microsoft asked development of the online standalone to pause. Still, I know how I'll be spending my Labor Day.

XB1X trailer for MCC:

EDIT: Just wanted to add: Now that this is done, can we please get Reach added to the collection? Kthxbye.

Last edited:
I'm curious to try out the changes... what I'm hoping they didn't fuck up is the 100% rock solid 60fps that it currently runs at on the X. I have a feeling they'll have gone overboard on pushing the 4k res (like many developers do) and we'll be back to the crappy unstable framerates of MCC at launch on the base Xbox One.

It's up to 4K res, which more than likely means dynamic res. Frame rate should be fine.

As for reach, it has nothing to do with Master Chief at all, and 2020 will be the 10-year anniversary as well as the next Xbox system launch, so I'm expecting a remaster as a launch title for that system.

It's up to 4K res, which more than likely means dynamic res. Frame rate should be fine.

As for reach, it has nothing to do with Master Chief at all, and 2020 will be the 10-year anniversary as well as the next Xbox system launch, so I'm expecting a remaster as a launch title for that system.
ODST isn't Master Chief, either, but it is included as an addon campaign.

I've been wanting to play through all the Halo games again, but have been waiting for the MCC Xbox One X enhancement update. Can't wait for September!

I've been wanting to play through all the Halo games again, but have been waiting for the MCC Xbox One X enhancement update. Can't wait for September!
Me, too! I started playing the first game when MCC first came out, but never finished it or played the others. This is a good incentive for me to finally finish 2 & 4 and play through 1 & 3 again.

I haven't played any Halo games since #3 first came out. Seems like a good time to hop back in. Based on memory, they played very similarly to Destiny. Hopefully all the time I've dumped into Destiny will serve me well.

I really wish more console games offered a FOV slider. With the large displays we have nowadays there are some console games that are almost unplayable to me.

Oh, and one more huge gripe about Halo... why the fuck did they drop the crosshair position to the bottom half of the screen? It makes no sense... it feels like I am constantly kind of looking up while trying to aim straight. It is STUPID!

I really wish more console games offered a FOV slider. With the large displays we have nowadays there are some console games that are almost unplayable to me.

Oh, and one more huge gripe about Halo... why the fuck did they drop the crosshair position to the bottom half of the screen? It makes no sense... it feels like I am constantly kind of looking up while trying to aim straight. It is STUPID!

Yeah, the FOV thing is often forced because it provides a way for developers to be more aggressive with culling off-screen object rendering for performance reasons, but many use it as a crutch instead of going back to the drawing board and optimizing for a good FOV instead of the other way around. There are some games that I literally can't play because the FOV is so insanely small.

And yes, the crosshair thing in Halo is really bizarre, but it's probably here to stay for Halo because the hardcore fans will demand it.

To be honest I never noticed that before. Now it's going to bug me. Thanks for that!
Yeah, the FOV thing is often forced because it provides a way for developers to be more aggressive with culling off-screen object rendering for performance reasons, but many use it as a crutch instead of going back to the drawing board and optimizing for a good FOV instead of the other way around. There are some games that I literally can't play because the FOV is so insanely small.

And yes, the crosshair thing in Halo is really bizarre, but it's probably here to stay for Halo because the hardcore fans will demand it.
I looked it up and, yes, there was a lot of salt in the community when they put it back to center in Halo 5.

EDIT: Son of a bitch! They did this in Destiny, too. No wonder why I have issues in PvP...
upload_2018-8-27_15-13-9.png

EDIT 2: The MCC patch is now live. It weighs in at 73GB (it needs to download the entire package)!
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/mcc-update

Notables:
  • All campaigns and multiplayer now run 4K/60 with HDR
  • Matchmaking finally updated to the latest Live SDK, also adding dedicated servers to handle the matchmaking.
  • Offline LAN now available.
  • You can customize the game's installation once the patch says "Ready to Play" if you don't want to download all 73GB.
  • Freely install additional languages, and can install separate languages for text and audio.
  • Brand new UI.
  • Matchmaking playlists now rotate using the "hopper" philosophy to try and keep the game fresh and populated.
Full patch notes:

New Features
  • Visual enhancements – up to 4K UHD w/ HDR on an Xbox One X with compatible TV
  • Intelligent Delivery – Customize game component and language installation
  • Offline LAN – Play MCC with minimal latency over a local network
Networking Updates
  • All Matchmade games now run on dedicated servers
  • Updated network transport layer
  • Round-to-round Matchmaking
  • Improved party stability & host migration
  • Updated Ranked Matchmaking logic
  • “Join in progress” for Custom Games
  • Dedicated Server optimizations
  • LAN enabled
Menu & UI Updates
  • Title Screen / update to background video
  • Main Menu UI refresh / vertical design
  • Options refresh / layout update
  • Networking settings
  • Audio settings / main menu volume slider
  • Controller settings
  • Message of the Day (MOTD) update
  • HDR / SDR settings
Global Updates
  • Load time & texture streaming optimizations
  • Campaign playlist / save bug fixes
Bug Fixes
Campaign
  • Fixed crashes when playing various Remix Playlists in Xbox Live co-op
  • Fixed issues with earning Achievements for completing levels in Playlists in Halo: CE & Halo 2
  • Fixed incorrect Mission being displayed as Next Mission in cross-game playlists
  • Competitive Score & Time now correctly reset when Restarting during Playlists
  • Split screen Co-op Framerate improvements throughout Halo 1 & 2
  • Fixed Kills appropriately populating on leaderboards in Campaign missions
  • Fixed time penalty issues when saving and quitting various missions
  • Fixed issues resuming missions from a suspended state
  • Fixed global stats not incrementing properly when completing missions in both singlepayer and co-op
  • Fixed improper scoring calculations and persistence in stat-history
  • Fixed multiple co-op related crashes across all Campaigns
  • Fixed issues displaying duplicate PGCRs when completing a Playlist with Scoring/Timing on
Multiplayer
  • Matched lobbies can now continue playing together after their match ends
  • Players now begin another search instead of being returned to the Main Menu after games
  • Parties are now maintained after changing the Game Session Leader
  • Matchmaking Games no longer continue if entire team quits before a match starts
  • Fixed players being assigned to the wrong teams from roster changes before match starts.
  • Fixed win/loss conditions when an entire team quits in both Halo 3 & Halo 4
  • Improved Betrayal Booting messaging
  • Fixed multiple maps and conditions that caused performance issues for frames rendered
  • Fixed issues with players being unable to join each other
  • Fixed multiple soft locks when joining players in various states
  • Fixed host migration in lobbies and peer-to-peer games
  • Fixed crashes and instances where a soft lock can occur when accepting invites
  • Fixed host being placed in solo game after leaving session
  • Fixed Oddball issues after host quits game
  • Fixed scoring disparity issues when host migration occurs
  • Fixed games not ending appropriately if there is no opposing team on launch of match
  • Fixed PGCR so it now reports correctly for all gametypes
  • Fixed multiple medals not appearing in PGCR appropriately
  • Optimized Voice chat networking to have reduced requirements
  • Fixed various instances where Achievements wouldn’t appropriately unlock
  • Fixed crashes when game is suspended during various MP game scenarios
  • Fixed issues where guests and silver accounts were incorrectly named
  • Fixed soft lock when removing players from parties
  • Fixed silver accounts being able to/unable to matchmake with/without a gold profile signed in
  • Fixed issues where players were kicked out of matchmaking while others in roster continued
  • Fixed issues related to ranks altering after closing the title just after ranking up
Custom Games, Forge, and Films
  • Fixed issue where Xbox One X players would be removed from lobby at end of custom game
  • Revert gametype settings now functions more reliably across all games
  • Fixed several Custom Game stats to now correctly update for sessions where player was a client
  • Enabled Host Migration in Forge for all games
  • Fixed error where Temporary Gametype Files did not always list original author
  • All: Added Settings to Pause Menu in Films for all supported games
  • All: Fixed Dynamic Lighting not rendering in Films of Forge Maps
  • H3: Fixed issue with Forge objects missing when first loading into a Forge Session
  • H3: Adjusted object list window to better reflect Halo 3 assets
  • H3: Adjusted Damage Modifier text to match 360 descriptions
  • H4: Fixed Bumpers & Triggers not swapping correctly
  • Physics have been corrected for multiple Forge related items
Global
  • Correct Player Emblem now displays on Scoreboards in-game
  • Improved Roster refresh & response time
  • Improved Host Migration support throughout supported games
  • Fixed issues with 0’s appearing for Time & Score in Leaderboards
  • Fixed various medals earned not displaying in the PGCR
  • Fixed issue where Guest Player’s 4 controller settings were not respected
  • Fixed various crashes when returning to gameplay after the Xbox is suspended
  • Voice Chat & Team Chat improvements & fixes
  • Improved Leaderboard response time
  • Reorganized Controller Settings Order to place most commonly changed at the top
  • Fixed Error Message telling players they do not have Xbox LIVE Gold during Xbox LIVE service outage conditions
  • Fixed error when a Gold Profile player with a Guest profile on the same console attempts to Join other players from an Invite.
  • Parties now merge more gracefully when another Party’s host accepts an Invite
  • Fixed multiple issues associated with resuming game from suspended state
  • Fixed many different situations that would result in crashes
  • Fixed players getting disconnected from squads in many different situations
  • Fixed various issues caused with multiple controllers connected during and after gameplay
  • Fixed incorrect and/or missing callout for Rosters
  • Fixed issues using ‘Save As’ to create new map variants in Forge not working in all scenarios
  • Fixed sorting of temporary Gametypes
  • Fixed improper hero image displaying in next mission for Campaign playlists
  • Fixed load time increases when local files storage is full
  • Fixed issues where players in parties would lose audio in various loading situations
  • Fixed multiple instances of debug text being present across the title
Halo: CE
  • Fixed being returned to Main Menu after completing a Halo 1 Level in Cross-Game Playlists
  • Various Text & HUD fixes
  • Improved FOV for Split screen
  • Fixed rare mission progress loss when player selects Save & Quit during Halo 1 Playlists
  • Fixed various Halo 1 map weapon spawns not matching Xbox Retail
  • Improved Magnum shot registration issues in networked matches
  • Fixed bullet magnetism being incorrectly applied to teammates in Matchmaking
  • Fixed a Host/Client score discrepancy on PGCR for King of the Hill matches
  • Fixed enemy placement varying when restarting checkpoints
  • Fixed Score & Time UI disappearing if Captain Keyes dies in Truth & Reconciliation
  • Fixed double Halos appearing in Halo: CE Pillar of Autumn outro cinematic
Halo 2
  • Fixed weapon fire rates not matching H2 for original Xbox
  • Beating the Prophet of Regret to death with your fists now grants Campaign Scoring points
  • Fixed FOVs to match original Xbox setting for both single player and split screen
  • Returned original Xbox Connection & Host Migration screens for nostalgia
  • Fixed rare issue with matches starting before all players have joined
  • Fixed Steaktacular medal for H2C Matchmaking
  • Campaign no longer resumes in Legacy graphics if player is set to Remastered graphics
  • H2: Fixed invalid Team Color options appearing as selectable in various custom game modes
Halo 2 Anniversary
  • Enabled Host Migration for H2A Custom Games
  • Fixed Blood Thirsty! Achievement not unlocking when blasted in Matchmaking
  • Fixed issues with Kill Feed not updating for every kill
  • Fixed control mapping for Banshee tricks when using Universal Bump & Jump
  • Fixed Kill camera in Custom Games on large-budget Forge maps
  • Ninja Redux Achievement can now be earned during FFA games
  • Blast Resort gametype now respects player’s Rounds to Win settings in Custom Games
  • Fixed issue with incorrect HUD displaying for clients in Monitor Mode
  • Fixed object misalignment issue when snapping to coordinates
  • Fixed Pause Menu navigation controlling Films menus at the same time
  • Fixed players being taken to the Custom Game menu when exiting Forge sessions
  • Fixed numerous issues with Halo 2 Anniversary Campaign Co-op
Halo 3
  • Fixed Halo 3 default Gamma/Contrast settings
  • Improved lighting bloom to better reflect the Xbox 360 version’s presentation
  • Re-ordered Custom Gametypes so Slayer appears first
  • Guerilla Achievement unlock conditions improved
  • King of Crows Achievement unlock conditions improved
  • Who Needs Them? Achievement unlock conditions improved
  • Reduced time for post-credit cinematics to play after completing final mission
  • Fixed issues with Suicide Penalty not applying in certain gametypes
  • Fixed several option descriptions to match Xbox 360 text in custom games
Halo 4
  • Fixed incorrect button prompt on screen during final Didact quick time event
  • Weapon Skins can now be selected independently per loadout
  • Fixed bullet refunding issues when playing matches on dedicated servers
  • Adjusted default Gamma settings to better match original presentation
  • Fixed Tutorial prompts for Mantis melee button for various control layouts
  • Fixed grenade button prompt during final Didact encounter
  • Corrected Score values for various vehicles (Phantoms, Pelicans)
  • Fixed stereo playback for various language audio
  • Improved rubber banding during Broadsword sequence for co-op
  • Fixed rare respawn issue on Ravine
  • Various Achievement unlock condition improvements
  • SPOPS: Skulls now have names & descriptions displayed in menu
ODST
  • Theater Improvements
Known Issues
The team is aware of and actively working on/investigating the following issues for future MCC updates:
  • Campaign and playlist progress counters may read as 0s across the board on initial launch
  • Intelligent Delivery prioritization can be lost if console enters Connected Standby during install
  • Halo 4 Forge objects exposed to the global light source may appear incorrectly
  • Some career stats do not update until the title is relaunched
  • Corrupted installation can occur through Intelligent Delivery installation
  • Aim sensitivity feels faster in update compared to previous MCC retail
  • Players idling in match are not always automatically removed from the game
  • Elites are not dual wielding in various Campaign missions
  • Players with high ping times may be unable to find a game
  • Objects will pop-in during the Halo 4 Campaign
  • Players can go out-of-sync when moving from mission to mission in Halo 2 co-op Campaign when there is an original Xbox One hosting and an Xbox One X client
  • Players may need to reacquire previously collected ODST audio logs before receiving Achievements related to them

Last edited:
After PC gaming since 1990 and it is my true love, there is nothing more enjoyable than sitting on a xb1x in front of the TV and just having it be similar to a pc in power but the comfort of friends on a couch. The pc has it's place. But the one thing for me that MS nailed down was the enjoyment of being able to sit in front of the console for hours just being content messing around. That is what the XB1, to me, is worth it over the PS. Just good, tight, compact power house of a console (XB1X) that you can enjoy without having a dopamine drip from your PC. Kinda makes you want to quit gaming after awhile and go outside. Which is a plus consoles have over dedicated PC hardware. The dashboard is just fun. To me, IMO.

Devil May Cry 5 runs at native 4K and 60 FPS on Xbox One X, according to DF's analysis of the Gamescom demo.

Batman: Return to Arkham X Enhanced patch fail. Asylum runs at a locked 60 FPS now. City runs at an unlocked framerate in the challenge maps, but is still locked to 30 in the campaign. Neither game gets a bump in resolution or HDR. Even though it's listed on Major Nelson's blog in the official list, the Enhanced flag is not enabled on the game after being patched. The patches themselves added around 10GB to the game, so what was the point?

https://majornelson.com/blog/xbox-one-x-enhanced/

Batman: Return to Arkham X Enhanced patch fail. Asylum runs at a locked 60 FPS now. City runs at an unlocked framerate in the challenge maps, but is still locked to 30 in the campaign. Neither game gets a bump in resolution or HDR. Even though it's listed on Major Nelson's blog in the official list, the Enhanced flag is not enabled on the game after being patched. The patches themselves added around 10GB to the game, so what was the point?

https://majornelson.com/blog/xbox-one-x-enhanced/
Hopefully that's just a screw up that will be fixed soon...

Hopefully that's just a screw up that will be fixed soon...
DF did an analysis and found this:
  • Resolution is still 1080p, but the dynamic resolution holds the full HD image more consistently in Asylum. City still averages out to a sub-full HD resolution.
  • Asylum runs at 45 FPS now instead of 30
  • Arkham City still caps at 30 FPS, but is smooth now in parity with the current version on PS4 Pro with occasional frame timing issues
  • No visual upgrades compared to original version
  • Still looks and runs best on PS4 Pro

DF did an analysis and found this:
  • Resolution is still 1080p, but the dynamic resolution holds the full HD image more consistently in Asylum. City still averages out to a sub-full HD resolution.
  • Asylum runs at 45 FPS now instead of 30
  • Arkham City still caps at 30 FPS, but is smooth now in parity with the current version on PS4 Pro with occasional frame timing issues
  • No visual upgrades compared to original version
  • Still looks and runs best on PS4 Pro

Sad. Has to be bad programming.

Sad. Has to be bad programming.
From my understanding they had a hard time porting the game to UE4, so it's actually not too surprising, but disappointing for sure. I think at this point they have gotten the majority of what they were going to sell, so they should just release the original games for backward compatibility with the enhanced treatment games like Red Dead Redemption received.

Picked one up yesterday. A month old with receipt, rechargeable controller batteries and 5 games for $400. Just got a 4k projector, I haven't played a console for a couple years. Any must have console only games?

Picked one up yesterday. A month old with receipt, rechargeable controller batteries and 5 games for $400. Just got a 4k projector, I haven't played a console for a couple years. Any must have console only games?
Halo: Master Chief Collection is good (and cheap)
Sunset Overdrive

Back