XBOX ONE X folks, check in here!

The Apex is pretty much plug and play. Super easy to setup. Also, for advanced users it has a slew of capabilities that make it even better.

Is this like a plug and play mouse and keyboard thing for the Xbox one x ?

Like plug in mouse and keyboard and play FPS shooters with no problem just like on PC?

Would have a hugeeee hardcore advantage but I’m down if it works on all the latest shooters and what not.

Is this like a plug and play mouse and keyboard thing for the Xbox one x ?

Like plug in mouse and keyboard and play FPS shooters with no problem just like on PC?

Would have a hugeeee hardcore advantage but I’m down if it works on all the latest shooters and what not.
Yes. There are differences in how the input reacts, though, which you have to get used to. The mouse is still emulating joystick movement. To take full advantage of it you should setup a custom profile for each of your games, though. It's not a "hugeeee" advantage due to the joystick emulation, but it is "an" advantage over controllers once you're used to it.

Yes. There are differences in how the input reacts, though, which you have to get used to. The mouse is still emulating joystick movement. To take full advantage of it you should setup a custom profile for each of your games, though. It's not a "hugeeee" advantage due to the joystick emulation, but it is "an" advantage over controllers once you're used to it.

Interesting. It'll be amazing if they integrate full mouse and keyboard support into the consoles, not gimped half ass emulation. I mean full support like PC. That would be incredible, especially if they came packaged out of the box with them!

Interesting. It'll be amazing if they integrate full mouse and keyboard support into the consoles, not gimped half ass emulation. I mean full support like PC. That would be incredible, especially if they came packaged out of the box with them!
That is completely up to the developers at this point since K&M support was fully integrated into the Xbox One with the last console update. Unfortunately most developers will continue to quote the skill gap as a reason for not supporting it.

I wouldn't call it a "skill gap" so much as a "tool gap." It doesn't take any more skill to use a mouse. Probably less. It's a device straight up designed for pointing after all.
Personally, I'd like to see the consoles innovate a little bit and give us some sort of control scheme that involves a mouse (or mouse-like device) as well as some type of tool that isn't just a re purposed typewriter pad. Something designed with gaming in mind rather than typing. Nintendo tried, they just borked the execution.
Probably won't happen though. The insistence on KB/M is mostly for a crowd that isn't getting any younger. The under-25 gamers I know couldn't care less about mouse aiming being quicker as long as they aren't competing directly with it. They see it as clunky and I find myself agreeing with that more and more.

DOOM (2016) received Xbox One X support today, including 4K resolution but no HDR. The game still runs at 60 FPS. The patch is also available for PS4 Pro.

https://bethesda.net/en/article/4csATft5rOKaywwiKymgaO/experience-doom-in-4k

Unfortunately the game doesn't run at a locked 60 FPS, while running at 4K resolution, but it looks like it runs at 60 a majority of the time. I don't have the game yet (only downloaded the demo), but I might have to pick it up now.

Unfortunately the game doesn't run at a locked 60 FPS, while running at 4K resolution, but it looks like it runs at 60 a majority of the time. I don't have the game yet (only downloaded the demo), but I might have to pick it up now.
I haven't noticed any frame drops during my time with it so far. But then again, most issues I've read about people having with the Xbox One X have not happened to me.

I have noticed that Witcher 3 has a memory leak after the X Enhanced patch, though, but it doesn't really affect performance until after 4 hours of uptime. A hard shutdown is required to bring the console back up to par.

New patch to fix Titan Quest went up yesterday. The game runs beautifully now. I turned off the 30FPS lock and enabled 4K in the options an it runs about as well as the PC version.

zamardii12 beat me to it with his own thread, but I just noticed a couple games queued up an update on my XB1X when I got home. They're both Backcompat Xbox 360 titles:

Red Dead Redemption
Gears of War 2

Backcompat titles with XB1X patches give you the option of pushing the game up to 4K resolution or keeping the original resolution while using the extra performance to stabilize framerate at whatever the game's target is. I have to say, quite a few games look damn good with the pixel count increased by a factor of 9.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice also saw a release on Xbox today, and it comes with 4K and HDR10 support.

Stiiiiiill waiting on The Division patch! Let's go Ubisoft!

H7nYe7t.jpg
Good news! The X Enhanced patch for The Division was released this morning!

https://www.reddit.com/r/thedivision/wiki/update_181#wiki_xbox_one_x_patch

Unfortunately it's another update that doesn't include the addition of HDR.

I keep asking myself why I bought an Xbox One X and why I still own one.

All of the good exclusives are on PS4 (I don't like Halo) and I have a bad ass PC gaming rig.

All of the good exclusives are on PS4 (I don't like Halo) and I have a bad ass PC gaming rig.
I thought about getting an X to play Red Read Redemption with crisper graphics, but then God of War came out for PS4 and for $399 with the game I couldn't justify $500 for an X with no good firstparty titles. I'll just play RDR2 on the PS4 Pro later this year.

Not sure what MS is thinking this generation, since they're continuing to crutch on old OG & 360 games. Sea of Thieves is a joke early access title and can be played on PC anyway.
Really nothing else on the horizon.

I thought about getting an X to play Red Read Redemption with crisper graphics, but then God of War came out for PS4 and for $399 with the game I couldn't justify $500 for an X with no good firstparty titles. I'll just play RDR2 on the PS4 Pro later this year.

Not sure what MS is thinking this generation, since they're continuing to crutch on old OG & 360 games. Sea of Thieves is a joke early access title and can be played on PC anyway.
Really nothing else on the horizon.

Yup, pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Probably going to put mine up on E-bay soon.

The last system update (4/21) fixed my issues with Atmos audio dying and/or muting at random. Give it a shot if you were having troubles before.

As far as the system goes, I still feel it's the ultimate multi-platform console. MS doesn't have jack shit for exclusives, but the Xbox One X should provide the best (non-PC) gaming experience for multi-platform titles. Stuff like Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Madden, GTA, etc. It also plays 4K Blu-Rays, which is shockingly hard to do without a stand-alone player. Good luck even doing it on a PC.
I don't think I'd ever suggest buying one instead of a PS4 or PS4 Pro, but it's a worthwhile purchase if you already have one and have some extra $.

The last system update (4/21) fixed my issues with Atmos audio dying and/or muting at random. Give it a shot if you were having troubles before.

As far as the system goes, I still feel it's the ultimate multi-platform console. MS doesn't have jack shit for exclusives, but the Xbox One X should provide the best (non-PC) gaming experience for multi-platform titles. Stuff like Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Madden, GTA, etc. It also plays 4K Blu-Rays, which is shockingly hard to do without a stand-alone player. Good luck even doing it on a PC.
I don't think I'd ever suggest buying one instead of a PS4 or PS4 Pro, but it's a worthwhile purchase if you already have one and have some extra $.

I pretty much play every game on my PC except the exclusives on PS4.

There really is no point in me keeping mine.

Soooooooooo, who wants to buy it?

I pretty much play every game on my PC except the exclusives on PS4.

There really is no point in me keeping mine.

Soooooooooo, who wants to buy it?

For me it's all about RDR2 right now. If that game wasn't coming out, I don't know if I would have bought one in the first place. All of the Xbox exclusives (with maybe 1-2 exceptions) are on the PC and it doesn't look like there are any others on the horizon that won't be.

For me it's all about RDR2 right now. If that game wasn't coming out, I don't know if I would have bought one in the first place. All of the Xbox exclusives (with maybe 1-2 exceptions) are on the PC and it doesn't look like there are any others on the horizon that won't be.
My #1 most anticipated is RDR2 as well, and my plan was also to get an X right before the game's release with the assumption it'd be the best version of the game. But then GOW came out and I didn't want to miss any more excellent PS4 exclusives.

I also remembered that R* is likely to continue their strategy of maintaining platform parity when RDR2 ships - meaning PS4 Pro will play it exactly the same as X, even if X could do it with a few more FPS or resolution. It was explained to me once by a dev at a well known studio (rhymes with lizard) who also make xbox/playstation games, that if a console title gets a reputation for being inferior on one platform, they'll lose total sales because some people won't buy the game at all. The presence of a superior PC version doesn't seem to change this dynamic much.

R* was pretty adamant about console parity with GTA4, RDR, GTA5. I suspect it will continue.

Last edited:
Is it supposed to look 10 x better than RDR2 on PS4 Pro or somethin?

Is it supposed to look 10 x better than RDR2 on PS4 Pro or somethin?

Probably not. Maybe not even at all. It's just the most powerful console out there and it has the power to rock 1080p/60 if they want it to. I'm hoping both the Pro and X have that option as I find it pretty unlikely one will have it and the other won't.

Spring update to begin rolling out to users today. Key features relevant to XB1X owners:

Auto Low Latency Mode for displays that feature the ability to automatically switch to Game or Low Latency mode
Freesync and Freesync 2 support through "Allow variable refresh rate"
Native 1440p output, allowing games to run at this resolution without scaling down to 1080p or up to 4K (XCOM 2 is the only game I can think of that runs at 1440p)

All the features mentioned are also available on XB1S.

https://majornelson.com/2018/04/24/the-april-xbox-update-begins-rolling-out-today/

Just want to add that the update was 792 MB for me. If your console doesn't automatically update when you turn it on, just go to Settings -> System -> Updates and select Update now when the button activates.

Last edited:

Pretty much why I haven't decided to get one in the first place. If you have a gaming PC and a Steam Link (which I got on one of its routine sales for like $10 or less), that pretty much negates the need for the One X. Esp. if you already have a One S like I do just to play BC games from the Xbox's glory days and can also play 4K Blu-Rays (which I will probably never care to use either).

How does the 120hz function work exactly? Wouldn't games need to support that refresh rate to take advantage of it...or do the games with no FPS cap just automatically work?

My Xbox x says it was updated on the 27th but i still dont have the option for 1440P. I have one of those MSI curved monitors that recently came out.

Does anyone else have the option?

Shadow of the Tomb Raider will run at 4K/60 on the XB1X according to this dev.

My Xbox x says it was updated on the 27th but i still dont have the option for 1440P. I have one of those MSI curved monitors that recently came out.

Does anyone else have the option?
You have to tell us exactly what model you own.

It may be an issue with the HDMI cable you're using. Are you using the one that came with the monitor or an aftermarket one?

My 4K TV doesn't support 2560x1440 and my monitor is DisplayPort only, so I can't check.

Ooooh! 4K/60 - I approve! I wish all developers would shoot for that. Lower some details if you have to. Upscale if you have to. Just make it happen.

You have to tell us exactly what model you own.

It may be an issue with the HDMI cable you're using. Are you using the one that came with the monitor or an aftermarket one?

My 4K TV doesn't support 2560x1440 and my monitor is DisplayPort only, so I can't check.

It is the MAG27CQ. the cable is either from the xbox or the monitor. Maybe i can swap to see if it gives me the option then. thanks

It is the MAG27CQ. the cable is either from the xbox or the monitor. Maybe i can swap to see if it gives me the option then. thanks

The cable shouldn't be the problem.. are you connecting directly to the monitor or through an AVR of some sort? Also, make sure the display type is selected 'automatically.' Don't choose HDMI manually or you won't get the 1440p option.

Native 1440p output, allowing games to run at this resolution without scaling down to 1080p or up to 4K (XCOM 2 is the only game I can think of that runs at 1440p)

It doesn't matter what resolution the game runs at. The console itself will output 1440p no matter what. So for the 4k-2k games, you get essentially a native 1440p render that's also got some super sampling going on as well. 4k games look fantastic at 1440p. On the other hand, 1080p (or less) is still just 1080p. My only problem is that my AVR doesn't support 1440p, only 1080p or 4k. So for now I have to connect directly to my monitor (XB271HU) or I'm stuck at 1080p. You would think you could just passthrough the video signal and not worry about what the AVR "supports," but noooooo.

The cable shouldn't be the problem.. are you connecting directly to the monitor or through an AVR of some sort? Also, make sure the display type is selected 'automatically.' Don't choose HDMI manually or you won't get the 1440p option.

i am connected direct, ill check those settings, thanks.

X Enhanced patch coming for Halo: Master Chief Collection. Now only if they would release it on PC...

X Enhanced patch coming for Halo: Master Chief Collection. Now only if they would release it on PC...

Interesting. I figured with E3 being so close they wouldn't even bother announcing anything with the Master Chief Collection until then, so it'd be awesome if it released before June 12th.

Interesting. I figured with E3 being so close they wouldn't even bother announcing anything with the Master Chief Collection until then, so it'd be awesome if it released before June 12th.

I'm being optimistic and hoping this is just the teaser, and E3 has all the bombs we've been waiting for.

Back