XBOX ONE X folks, check in here!

I still need to try out some games. I mainly did diagnostic stuff since GOW4 is a pretty large download.
HDR is infamous for looking washed out if you don't have your settings perfect, so that could be one culprit. On my TV (a Sammy KS8000) I have to crank my backlight and saturation to the max, but dial back brightness a bit. Reds are infamous for being dull unless the creators go nuts with contrast.

Any Diablo 3 players? This is my goto "chill" game and supposed to be day 1 enhanced. Wondering if the difference is significant.
The new season starts tomorrow night at 20:00 EST, so I'll be playing then. My XB1X also comes in tomorrow.
Hmmm, a couple issues with mine.

1) Shadow of War does not looks like it's in 4k. I feel like it's running in 1080p instead of 4k but I have all the green check marks when I check the 4k details in settings. Also, HDR is on. Maybe it's just not a very visual pleasing game?

2) My black looks a little washed out. Whenever a cut scene fades to black, it looks pixelated almost.

I had my PS4 Pro plugged into the same HDMI on my TV before my Xbox X and Dawn Horizon looks MUCH better than Shadow of War.
Make sure your image settings were retained. Some televisions will reset its settings on you when it detects a different device is plugged in.

I still need to try out some games. I mainly did diagnostic stuff since GOW4 is a pretty large download.
HDR is infamous for looking washed out if you don't have your settings perfect, so that could be one culprit. On my TV (a Sammy KS8000) I have to crank my backlight and saturation to the max, but dial back brightness a bit. Reds are infamous for being dull unless the creators go nuts with contrast.
My backlight is all the way up but my saturation isn't. I'll test that tonight.

The new season starts tomorrow night at 20:00 EST, so I'll be playing then. My XB1X also comes in tomorrow.

Make sure your image settings were retained. Some televisions will reset its settings on you when it detects a different device is plugged in.
Checked that, too. Game mode was off, so I turned that back on. I also noticed a little FPS drop. Don't get me wrong, I'm never the one to complain about a little FPS drop... but on the X, I thought it would be smooth as butter.

Well, I have to say I'm impressed with this machine. It's what the original Xbox One should have been imho. I'm also one of those with a high end machine, but for the most part, there isn't that big of a visual difference from the few games I tested, outside the framerate. I still would have preferred an easy way to allow the replacement of the hdd, as with the PS4, but the external SSD works well enough. And two output HDMI, so I could get my 7.1 surround sound, rather than being limited to optical.

And I can certainly tell I haven't used the Xbox in awhile. I had a hard time figuring out how to get back to the dashboard to quit games.

Anybody try the 1440p mode yet? Thoughts on it?
It's not out yet.
Hmmm, a couple issues with mine.

1) Shadow of War does not looks like it's in 4k. I feel like it's running in 1080p instead of 4k but I have all the green check marks when I check the 4k details in settings. Also, HDR is on. Maybe it's just not a very visual pleasing game?

2) My black looks a little washed out. Whenever a cut scene fades to black, it looks pixelated almost.

I had my PS4 Pro plugged into the same HDMI on my TV before my Xbox X and Dawn Horizon looks MUCH better than Shadow of War.
What are your color space and bitrate settings set to, and what video settings do you have set in SOW?

For the KS8000, use picture mode standard, then go to special viewing mode and turn on game mode. Backlight at 15 should be plenty unless you want super brights than go full 20.
Brightness around 48, contrast 100, sharpness 10, color about 56 and G52/R48. Smart LED on high, dynamic contrast to taste (I use low), color temp warm1, make sure HDMI UHD color is on (and make sure to use HDMI port 4). Gamma at -2, and very important that color space is set to native.

Also each game that supports HDR has it's own internal slider in the game settings that you need to adjust.
Well, I have to say I'm impressed with this machine. It's what the original Xbox One should have been imho. I'm also one of those with a high end machine, but for the most part, there isn't that big of a visual difference from the few games I tested, outside the framerate. I still would have preferred an easy way to allow the replacement of the hdd, as with the PS4, but the external SSD works well enough. And two output HDMI, so I could get my 7.1 surround sound, rather than being limited to optical.

And I can certainly tell I haven't used the Xbox in awhile. I had a hard time figuring out how to get back to the dashboard to quit games.
Xbox one has one HDMI out, and one HDMI in for running a cable box through it. Not two outs.

Those of you with high end computers and are getting a Xbox One X, can I ask what your reasoning is behind getting one?

Friends that play on Xbox, prefer the ease of use, achievements/gamerscore, still some exclusives that don't come to PC.

That an less cheating. While console games have been hacked(some of the cod games on the 360 were really bad) it generally is nothing like some of the pc games. You have people cheating by using glitches but not aimbots.

I will say DRM issues got me away from pc gaming for a lot of things. Sure the xbox is loaded with DRM but generally speaking I don't see it. The PC has gotten better but I remember shit like starforce screwing with dvd drives and not uninstalling with the game. I also remember games saying hey you have this iso tool on your machine, you can't install me until you uninstall it. I had enough issues where it got to the point I need a desktop for doing work at home and one for gaming. At that point I went console.

At the end of the day I game to relax and for enjoyment. With the console I can just put a disk/cart in and play. That or just click start on the game as I download most. I don't have to deal with driver issues, tweaking the game settings to get it to run good, etc. It just works.

For the KS8000, use picture mode standard, then go to special viewing mode and turn on game mode. Backlight at 15 should be plenty unless you want super brights than go full 20.
Brightness around 48, contrast 100, sharpness 10, color about 56 and G52/R48. Smart LED on high, dynamic contrast to taste (I use low), color temp warm1, make sure HDMI UHD color is on (and make sure to use HDMI port 4). Gamma at -2, and very important that color space is set to native.

Also each game that supports HDR has it's own internal slider in the game settings that you need to adjust.

Xbox one has one HDMI out, and one HDMI in for running a cable box through it. Not two outs.
Agree with all except the smart LED and dynamic contrast. I would turn both of those off. I would also add that the calibration wizard on the Xbox is very good and helps you dial in the color since the Samsungs allow you to turn just one color channel on to act as a blue filter.

Agree with all except the smart LED and dynamic contrast. I would turn both of those off. I would also add that the calibration wizard on the Xbox is very good and helps you dial in the color since the Samsungs allow you to turn just one color channel on to act as a blue filter.
While dynamic contrast is to taste, the smart LED is essential to HDR. Without FALD, it's the next best thing.

While dynamic contrast is to taste, the smart LED is essential to HDR. Without FALD, it's the next best thing.
The KS8000 is edge lit.

Welp, I just educated myself. You're right aside from the terminology. You do want Smart LED set to high with HDR.

The KS8000 is edge lit.

Welp, I just educated myself. You're right aside from the terminology. You do want Smart LED set to high with HDR.
I know it's edge lit. That's why I said "without FALD".

Smart LED breaks the screen up in to vertical strips, rather than the squares FALD can do. It's not as good as FALD, but it works fairly well in most content.

Personally, I find that the whole screen looks too dark if you don't crank the backlight up. With HDR content it doesn't really have any light-bleed over from bright spots to dark spots of the screen, so that's not really an issue for me. That's where dynamic contrast DOES become an issue, though. With it on, that's when I do start to see blacks becoming more grey and the backlight starting to bleed into anything dark. It does produce a contrast that's a bit closer to normal viewing, though. Without it, it feels like games that "tacked on" HDR (like Uncharted 4) have red and green hues that seem dull. Yet with games like Lost Legacy and RE7 that were designed with HDR, they look normal.

It's probably all personal preference, though.

tdqQK3Q
Mine arrived about an hour ago from Amazon order. They really went out of their way to pad the package... My ex-gf used more toilet paper than that in a sitting.

tdqQK3Q.jpg

tdqQK3Q
Mine arrived about an hour ago from Amazon order. They really went out of their way to pad the package... My ex-gf used more toilet paper than that in a sitting.

tdqQK3Q.jpg

Amazon did the same crap with my Xbox one and PS4 back in 2013. Microsoft packed their consoles really well, Sony not so much.

The way the console is configured in the box is pretty brilliant. It's also padded like crazy. I bet you could drop the Xbox One X box off your roof and it would be fine. Amazon is probably taking that into account. My box was half covered in snow and the Amazon box was damp, but the actual console box was fine. I'm still annoyed there's no mic, though.

Note to Self: no matter how many times you mash the center button on your *controller it will not pair with the Xbox 1X to begin setup

*Xbox 360 controller

Got a chance to play Gears 4 a little last night. In "performance mode" it looks scarily comparable to the way the game does on the PC. I'm one of those people that has to have 60fps, so it's not like I play in 4K on my PC anyway. After running the game for 5 minutes, I went ahead and uninstalled the PC version as this one is 95% as good...and it has HDR as well.

The new interface for the OS is still a little clumsy compared to the PS4's, but it's better than the previous iterations.

Anyone managed to get Dolby Atmos to correctly be identified by an AV receiver? When I run Atmost on my PC, my receiver recognizes the signal as Atmos. Yet on both the older model and this model it just sees it as a Dolby Stream. Is that normal?

Got a chance to play Gears 4 a little last night. In "performance mode" it looks scarily comparable to the way the game does on the PC. I'm one of those people that has to have 60fps, so it's not like I play in 4K on my PC anyway. After running the game for 5 minutes, I went ahead and uninstalled the PC version as this one is 95% as good...and it has HDR as well.

The new interface for the OS is still a little clumsy compared to the PS4's, but it's better than the previous iterations.

Anyone managed to get Dolby Atmos to correctly be identified by an AV receiver? When I run Atmost on my PC, my receiver recognizes the signal as Atmos. Yet on both the older model and this model it just sees it as a Dolby Stream. Is that normal?
I have a Marantz SR-6010, Atmos is working perfectly for me. Did you run the Atmos app? It makes sure you have all the correct settings, and should make troubleshooting easy.

I am sick, so I set mine up yesterday, but didn't play any actual games. The interface is snappier (it better be), I will probably try Destiny 2 and Halo 5 tonight. I will also see if I have any GWG titles that are enhanced.

This is my first Xbox since the original, so I gave zero games at the moment.

However, the Forza 7 demo looks insanely good. I'll probably pick that game up.

Has anyone used the Game Pass service? Does it work well? $10 a month seem pretty good if you are able to down load the actual game.

I haven't used Game Pass, but I use the EA Access which is nice if you don't care about getting EA games 6-12 months after release.

I have a Marantz SR-6010, Atmos is working perfectly for me. Did you run the Atmos app? It makes sure you have all the correct settings, and should make troubleshooting easy.

Yeah, I have the app. I might need to play around and see how it works. I mainly noticed it while watching TV, so it might not send an Atmos signal while using other forms of media. I'll have to see if it's doing things properly via their demo or one of the few Netflix movies that feature Atmos.

Love the console. Played the beginning of The Surge and the performance was fantastic. Still downloading all the extra content for most of the games I have that support 4K, HDR.

Has anyone used the Game Pass service? Does it work well? $10 a month seem pretty good if you are able to down load the actual game.
Tried the 14-day trial. It's mostly backward compatible games or really old One games. I don't think it's worth the $10/month at this point. They need to bolster the library with more significant titles to be worth it. If they would put the games they're pulling from the store (Forza 5 and Forza Horizon, for example) into the service then that would be wonderful. To answer the other question, you have to download the games to play them. This isn't a streaming service like PS Now.

Same.

But they made an attempt to crumple it up.

Which was surprising given how heavy the box was.

So I just got my 2nd Scorpio (that i'm sending back) from Microsoft, and all they did was put the xbox in a box slightly bigger than the Scorpio box. Apparently, this is how they're supposed to be shipped. Good thing Microsoft packs them well.

Finally was able to pick up my Best Buy in store preorder for my Scorpio Edition today. As others have said it definitely has a nice weight to it.

Now to start the long download process

You get a free two week trial from the dashboard, plus you got a code with the system for a free month. That should give you plenty of time to try some and see if it's worth it to you.

Apparently, opening the wallet for the XB1X wasn't nearly enough since I now have a Thrustmaster TX and Wheel Stand Pro on way for a little FH3 and DiRT4 drunk driving fun. What put things over the edge was that the Thrustmaster TX is said to work with both XBox One and PC. Xmas is early this year, I guess.

Any Diablo 3 players? This is my goto "chill" game and supposed to be day 1 enhanced. Wondering if the difference is significant.
Okay, I played it briefly last night. I think I'm doing a Witch Doctor this season. But as to the difference, it's pretty significant. The first thing I noticed was the color is much deeper and vibrant than it was on the S. Second thing I noticed is it's running native 4K at a smooth and constant 60 FPS. The framerate was always sketchy on the S, with stuttering at the worst possible times. Doing some research it looks like the game is using dynamic resolution scaling and it falls slightly below 4K in some instances. I have yet to do a rift, but am interested in seeing if the performance holds up there. I will say that this version of the game looks way better than the PS4 Pro version. I dare say that the smooth framerate combined with no network lag makes it rival the PC version.
Apparently, opening the wallet for the XB1X wasn't nearly enough since I now have a Thrustmaster TX and Wheel Stand Pro on way for a little FH3 and DiRT4 drunk driving fun. What put things over the edge was that the Thrustmaster TX is said to work with both XBox One and PC. Xmas is early this year, I guess.
Technically any USB wheel will work on the PC so long as there are drivers for it.

Okay, I played it briefly last night. I think I'm doing a Witch Doctor this season. But as to the difference, it's pretty significant. The first thing I noticed was the color is much deeper and vibrant than it was on the S. Second thing I noticed is it's running native 4K at a smooth and constant 60 FPS. The framerate was always sketchy on the S, with stuttering at the worst possible times. Doing some research it looks like the game is using dynamic resolution scaling and it falls slightly below 4K in some instances. I have yet to do a rift, but am interested in seeing if the performance holds up there. I will say that this version of the game looks way better than the PS4 Pro version. I dare say that the smooth framerate combined with no network lag makes it rival the PC version.

Technically any USB wheel will work on the PC so long as there are drivers for it.

Have you guys heard about the DriveHub? It's supposed to make any wheel/pedals/shifter work with any console. Eurogamer says it works very well:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...o-game-steering-wheel-compatibility-nightmare

Last edited:
I got a chance to tinker with Atmos a little last night and I've discovered that not all content uses it. When the content doesn't use it, it just outputs normal 'ol Dolby Digital. Gears 4 supports it and it kicks in sans any issues when you start the game. Ditto with the Atmos demos. Cuphead doesn't. TV pass-thru doesn't either. This is a little different than the way the PC version of Atmos is handled. It sends an Atmos signal for everything, but it's likely just a software algorithm for any non-Atmos content. It's not like you can properly add audio levels to content that didn't have them before.

Played some Halo 5 last night. I think I don't get the full effect due to my TV looking great at more or less all times, but there was definite improvement, the frame rate was rock solid, and loading times appeared better than I remember. I plan on trying GOW3 (never finished it). Curious to see how much better it runs and looks, especially in 3D.

Back