XBOX ONE X folks, check in here!

I'm curious about how the "better implementation" of Dolby Atmos will work. The patched-in Atmos audio for the original Xbox One models (and for PC's) has some major issues.
Tell me more about both. I stopped regular console gaming after Xbox 360. But to this point only the Frostbite engine supports Dolby Atmos on PC. And I'd be inclined to buy a console to get more Atmos content --- if worthwhile! Star Wars Battlefront in Atmos on PC was Amazing!

I have a 7.1.4 setup currently.

Tell me more about both. I stopped regular console gaming after Xbox 360. But to this point only the Frostbite engine supports Dolby Atmos on PC. And I'd be inclined to buy a console to get more Atmos content --- if worthwhile! Star Wars Battlefront in Atmos on PC was Amazing!

I have a 7.1.4 setup currently.

So as of right this second, Atmos for the Xbox One seems to only support 5-speaker style setups. Your side speakers are the ones they omit, FYI. In terms of native content, I'm not sure which games are supported, but it will emulate levels for pretty much everything, even TV and movies.
On the PC, the full gambit of speakers is supported, but (like setups that use DD or DTS) there's no silent streaming going on. Essentially every time sound from a new program (or even a new cutscene in some games) starts, it takes about a second or two to stream up. I don't like missing the first second or two of everything on a permanent basis. Netflix is about to use the streaming version of Atmos pretty soon, but I'd assume it will kick in automatically like DD does. There should be no need to set your Windows audio output to get that.

I've got the X1X on pre-order but now the search begins for the perfect or close to perfect, 27 inch 4k console gaming monitor with Freesync over HDMI.

Blown away that they included Freesync, game changer for consoles. Been a while since I looked at console specs without cringing.

Blown away that they included Freesync, game changer for consoles. Been a while since I looked at console specs without cringing.
I don't know if it will make that much of a difference when console games target 30 or 60 FPS. I've only encountered tearing and judder with console games on a few occasions. It will make all the difference in the world with games like Rise of the Tomb Raider that offer an unlocked framerate mode, but those are few and far between.

I don't know if it will make that much of a difference when console games target 30 or 60 FPS. I've only encountered tearing and judder with console games on a few occasions. It will make all the difference in the world with games like Rise of the Tomb Raider that offer an unlocked framerate mode, but those are few and far between.

Currently on X1, I get framerate issues during Destiny 2 gameplay when lots of craziness is happening on the screen. I'm hoping Freesync and 60 hz mitigates that so I can have smooth buttery gameplay.

"Free @GearsofWar 4 updating coming Nov 7th for @Xbox One X, #True4K HDR, Wide Color Gamut, Dolby Atmos, and up to 60FPS with new performance mode. Prepare to have your mind blown!" ~ Aaron Greenberg on Twitter

All my TV's specs line up HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2

But I'm not sure if
"Meets CEA 4K UHD Connected and HDR Compatibility Definitions"
indicates it is HDR capable

TV in question is a Samsung UN78JU7500F from 2015

I can't wait to get my One X. I own GoW4 on PC and just realized I can play it on the Xbone X. Not too shabby. I'm looking forward to my first console.

But I'm not sure if

You know what, i gotta look into that myself, i bought a top end 4k LG LED TV in late 2015 myself. This is mine, wondering if it'll be good enough.

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-65UF7700-4k-uhd-led-tv

Any help ?

I can't wait to get my One X. I own GoW4 on PC and just realized I can play it on the Xbone X. Not too shabby. I'm looking forward to my first console.

Nice! Ya, when you purchase 1 on either, it becomes avaliable for you to play on pc or xb1. You essentially get both for the price of one (y)

What a time to get your first console too! You're gonna love it, especially for sports games.

But I'm not sure if

You know what, i gotta look into that myself, i bought a top end 4k LG LED TV in late 2015 myself. This is mine, wondering if it'll be good enough.

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-65UF7700-4k-uhd-led-tv

Any help ?

Nice! Ya, when you purchase 1 on either, it becomes avaliable for you to play on pc or xb1. You essentially get both for the price of one (y)

What a time to get your first console too! You're gonna love it, especially for sports games.
CEA 4K UHD and 4K UHD Connected characteristics:
  • The display resolution has at least 8 million active pixels, with at least 3,840 horizontally and at least 2,160 vertically. The physical pixels shall be individually addressable such that the aforementioned horizontal and vertical resolution can be demonstrated over the full range of colors provided by the display.
  • The width-to-height aspect ratio of the display's native resolution is 16:9 or wider.
  • For upconversion the display is capable of upscaling HD video and displaying it at 4K UHD display resolution.
  • The digital input has one or more HDMI inputs supporting at least 3,840 x 2,160 native content resolution at 24p, 30p, and 60p frames/s. At least one of the 3,840 x 2,160 HDMI inputs shall support HDCP v2.2 or equivalent content protection.
  • Colorimetry processes 2,160p video inputs encoded, according to the International Telecommunication Union Radiocommunication Section (ITU-R) Recommendation ITU-R BT.709 color space and may support wider colorimetry standards.
  • The bit depth is a minimum of 8 b.
  • Its 4K UHD capability meets all of the requirements of CEA's 4K UHD display characteristics.
  • The video codec decodes IP-delivered video of 3,840 x 2,160 resolution that has been compressed using High-Efficiency Video Compression (HEVC) Main Profile, Level 5, Main Tier, as defined in International Organization for Standardization/International Electrotechnical Commission ISO/IEC 23008-2 MPEG-H Part 2 or ITU-T H.265, and may support higher profiles, levels, or tiers, and it may decode video from other standard encoders.
  • The audio codec receives and reproduces and/or outputs multichannel audio.
  • IP and networking receive IP-delivered 4K UHD video through services or applications on the platform of the manufacturer's choosing.
CEA HDR Compatibility:
  • Includes at least one interface that supports HDR signaling as defined in CEA-861-F, as extended by CEA-861.3.
  • Receives and processes static HDR metadata compliant with CEA-861.3 for uncompressed video.
  • Receives and processes HDR10 Media Profile* from IP, HDMI or other video delivery sources. Additionally, other media profiles may be supported.
    • EOTF: SMPTE ST 2084
    • Color Sub-sampling: 4:2:0 (for compressed video sources)
    • Bit Depth: 10 bit
    • Color Primaries: ITU-R BT.2020
    • Metadata: SMPTE ST 2086, MaxFALL, MaxCLL
  • Applies an appropriate Electro-Optical Transfer Function (EOTF), before rendering the image.
Samsung televisions from the 2015 model year (KU- and KS-) forward all comply with the CEA standards because Samsung was the primary entity that developed them. LG televisions do not due to the RGBW subpixel arrangement they use, which both Samsung and CEA argue that only 75% of the pixels in the panel display the full range of color in the manner described in the first definition above. LG is still a member of the CEA, but they do not participate in the CEA logo program for 4K UHD.

TVs that use RGBW pixel configurations “do not meet the CEA requirements for UHD TVs due to the limitations on pixel colors,” Samsung contended without mentioning LG by name. “The white sub-pixels that are mixed among the red, green, and blue sub-pixels in RGBW panels restrict and limit the color palate a TV is capable of showing while diluting the overall picture quality by affecting clarity, brightness and sharpness.”

In a blog post, the company further explained that RGBW “converts some of the RGB sub-pixels to white light, reducing the number of the pixels that can actually produce colors by 25 percent. This equates to a lower quality, less detailed picture on the screen.”

That said, I see no reason why the Xbox One X would not work on any 4K TV.

CEA 4K UHD and 4K UHD Connected characteristics:
  • The display resolution has at least 8 million active pixels, with at least 3,840 horizontally and at least 2,160 vertically. The physical pixels shall be individually addressable such that the aforementioned horizontal and vertical resolution can be demonstrated over the full range of colors provided by the display.
  • The width-to-height aspect ratio of the display's native resolution is 16:9 or wider.
  • For upconversion the display is capable of upscaling HD video and displaying it at 4K UHD display resolution.
  • The digital input has one or more HDMI inputs supporting at least 3,840 x 2,160 native content resolution at 24p, 30p, and 60p frames/s. At least one of the 3,840 x 2,160 HDMI inputs shall support HDCP v2.2 or equivalent content protection.
  • Colorimetry processes 2,160p video inputs encoded, according to the International Telecommunication Union Radiocommunication Section (ITU-R) Recommendation ITU-R BT.709 color space and may support wider colorimetry standards.
  • The bit depth is a minimum of 8 b.
  • Its 4K UHD capability meets all of the requirements of CEA's 4K UHD display characteristics.
  • The video codec decodes IP-delivered video of 3,840 x 2,160 resolution that has been compressed using High-Efficiency Video Compression (HEVC) Main Profile, Level 5, Main Tier, as defined in International Organization for Standardization/International Electrotechnical Commission ISO/IEC 23008-2 MPEG-H Part 2 or ITU-T H.265, and may support higher profiles, levels, or tiers, and it may decode video from other standard encoders.
  • The audio codec receives and reproduces and/or outputs multichannel audio.
  • IP and networking receive IP-delivered 4K UHD video through services or applications on the platform of the manufacturer's choosing.
CEA HDR Compatibility:
  • Includes at least one interface that supports HDR signaling as defined in CEA-861-F, as extended by CEA-861.3.
  • Receives and processes static HDR metadata compliant with CEA-861.3 for uncompressed video.
  • Receives and processes HDR10 Media Profile* from IP, HDMI or other video delivery sources. Additionally, other media profiles may be supported.
    • EOTF: SMPTE ST 2084
    • Color Sub-sampling: 4:2:0 (for compressed video sources)
    • Bit Depth: 10 bit
    • Color Primaries: ITU-R BT.2020
    • Metadata: SMPTE ST 2086, MaxFALL, MaxCLL
  • Applies an appropriate Electro-Optical Transfer Function (EOTF), before rendering the image.
Samsung televisions from the 2015 model year (KU- and KS-) forward all comply with the CEA standards because Samsung was the primary entity that developed them. LG televisions do not due to the RGBW subpixel arrangement they use, which both Samsung and CEA argue that only 75% of the pixels in the panel display the full range of color in the manner described in the first definition above. LG is still a member of the CEA, but they do not participate in the CEA logo program for 4K UHD.

TVs that use RGBW pixel configurations “do not meet the CEA requirements for UHD TVs due to the limitations on pixel colors,” Samsung contended without mentioning LG by name. “The white sub-pixels that are mixed among the red, green, and blue sub-pixels in RGBW panels restrict and limit the color palate a TV is capable of showing while diluting the overall picture quality by affecting clarity, brightness and sharpness.”

In a blog post, the company further explained that RGBW “converts some of the RGB sub-pixels to white light, reducing the number of the pixels that can actually produce colors by 25 percent. This equates to a lower quality, less detailed picture on the screen.”

That said, I see no reason why the Xbox One X would not work on any 4K TV.

Thanks for sharing that brotha, appreciate it.

My main concern now would be input lag on my current tv.

Well, based on what I’ve had a chance to read the last couple days, I’ve come to the conclusion that my tv will be shit for gaming.

I absolutely love it for everything else though
47ms isn't that bad. That site is aimed toward pro gamers. FPS, fighters or Cuphead (lol) might be rough, but you'll naturally compensate.

2015 78" Samsung UN78JU7500 4K 120hz 3D LED HDTV 20ms Check Amazon Excellent

yusss!

yusss.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
47ms isn't that bad. That site is aimed toward pro gamers. FPS, fighters or Cuphead (lol) might be rough, but you'll naturally compensate.
Ja, it doesn't really bother me in games that run at 30 FPS until it gets past 60ms based on the testing methodology that site uses. My old 1080p VA TV had something like 62ms of input lag and it didn't bother me most of the time while playing console games. I really can't tell that much difference between my old TV and my new 4K TV that has 20ms of lag according to them.
I have it preordered through Best Buy. I also just ordered a 65-inch LG 4K OLED TV. So stoked!
The best TV on the market combined with the best console = very nice!

Some stores got more Project Scorpio edition preorders available... I "got" one, hopefully it actually gets here on Tuesday!

Amazon sent me a confirmation that mine will arrive on Tuesday. For the last 8 weeks my pre-order has been very vague about delivery dates, shipping, and availability. Never had anything like that before with other systems or items before.

Well, I had cancelled my pre order from the Microsoft Store so I would not be tempted to buy it. (I bought a new phone, Sony Xperia XA1 and it works with everything I have reliably.) I figured if I had cancelled the pre order, I would not buy it. However, I bought it anyways but, this time through Newegg. They have already charged my card so I will be getting it and cannot return it.

Sheez, guess I will be selling my XBox One Original after all. :D

Amazon sent me a confirmation that mine will arrive on Tuesday. For the last 8 weeks my pre-order has been very vague about delivery dates, shipping, and availability. Never had anything like that before with other systems or items before.
No action on mine, yet. But for some reason I tend to not get confirmation on my orders from Amazon until the morning they're supposed to be delivered. I hope I don't get snubbed.

No action on mine, yet. But for some reason I tend to not get confirmation on my orders from Amazon until the morning they're supposed to be delivered. I hope I don't get snubbed.

This was a weird e-mail I've never gotten before. It wasn't a shipping notification or anything typical. It just reads "One of your pre-ordered items is now eligible for release date delivery and has been upgraded at no additional charge. Your new Delivery estimate is: Xbox One X Scorpio Edition 1TB Console Estimated arrival date: November 7, 2017."
Obviously I just went with the cheapest Prime delivery since it was free and claimed to be release-day delivery to begin with.
For the last couple of months it has simply stated that no shipping/delivery information was available.

Just got an e-mail from Amazon saying it will be delivered on the 9th.

the X is getting good reviews but once again you really need a 4K TV to take full advantage of it...and I think the % of 4K owners is still pretty low...compared against the PS4 Pro it's obviously more powerful but once again MS is mis-reading the market and overcharging...plus Sony still has the better exclusives by far

I also think that console players in general are not hard core enough to care about the better hardware and graphics...if they did then they would have a PC...console players (for the most part) are casual gamers and these mid-cycle revisions are not something the majority of them care about

the X is getting good reviews but once again you really need a 4K TV to take full advantage of it...and I think the % of 4K owners is still pretty low...compared against the PS4 Pro it's obviously more powerful but once again MS is mis-reading the market and overcharging...plus Sony still has the better exclusives by far

I also think that console players in general are not hard core enough to care about the better hardware and graphics...if they did then they would have a PC...console players (for the most part) are casual gamers and these mid-cycle revisions are not something the majority of them care about

$500 versus $1000+ for a 4K capable gaming rig...no I don't think those who "care about" better hardware and graphics are all limited to getting PC's. The Xbox One X is way more exciting than the PS4 Pro was IMO. I know everyone always talks about Exclusives, but honestly most of my games on my PS4 are cross-platform games. I didn't really care for most of the exclusives tbh.

$500 versus $1000+ for a 4K capable gaming rig...no I don't think those who "care about" better hardware and graphics are all limited to getting PC's. The Xbox One X is way more exciting than the PS4 Pro was IMO. I know everyone always talks about Exclusives, but honestly most of my games on my PS4 are cross-platform games. I didn't really care for most of the exclusives tbh.

the PS4 Pro is cheaper then the One X which is going to play a big role in people's minds...yes the X is more powerful but do you really think the average console player knows which GPU is inside each console or which CPU they use?...hell no...that's the hardcore PC crowd...in the end console players care about getting a decent gaming machine at an affordable price...they don't care about bleeding edge graphics or hardware...

the PS4 Pro is cheaper then the One X which is going to play a big role in people's minds...yes the X is more powerful but do you really think the average console player knows which GPU is inside each console or which CPU they use?...hell no...that's the hardcore PC crowd...in the end console players care about getting a decent gaming machine at an affordable price...they don't care about bleeding edge graphics or hardware...

The rig in my sig is long in the tooth, I can't think of a better expenditure for a graphics upgrade, but I'm currently running a Xbox 360 as a console for comparison. I think I will be delightfully surprised at the performance/quality.

Still no shipping notice, but my credit card was charged on Thursday for it. Hopefully it will come in on Tuesday. The only bad thing is that Fed Ex and UPS usually don't end up coming until around 8-9 PM around where I live.

I have it preordered through Best Buy. I also just ordered a 65-inch LG 4K OLED TV. So stoked!

Let me know if it has Gaming Mode HDR. My 2016 model (e6) doesn't. You can play with HDR + 70 ms delay, or gaming mode, but not both on it.

Currently on X1, I get framerate issues during Destiny 2 gameplay when lots of craziness is happening on the screen. I'm hoping Freesync and 60 hz mitigates that so I can have smooth buttery gameplay.
Reddit user with xbox one x with D2 says the system power pushes right past all that slow down we have had like the public event in the trostland he said it was full speed no drops. Bungie has yet to give any patch info im sure thanks to there Sony deal.

Last edited:

I got the same email. My Xbox One X is arriving on the 7th from Amazon.

Got my tracking number from Microsoft store. What sucks is I moved since I placed the preorder and they don't let you make any changes to an order, only cancel. So I now have to see if FedEx will hold for pickup, or stalk outside my old house all day.

Got my tracking number from Microsoft store. What sucks is I moved since I placed the preorder and they don't let you make any changes to an order, only cancel. So I now have to see if FedEx will hold for pickup, or stalk outside my old house all day.

At least you are close enough to do that. You might have to stalk your old house.

definitely looks a bit more detailed and sharp on the One X although you really need to be looking at them side-by-side to see the difference

Assassins Creed Origins PS4 Pro / One X

Call of Duty WWII PS4 Pro / One X

definitely looks a bit more detailed and sharp on the One X although you really need to be looking at them side-by-side to see the difference

Assassins Creed Origins PS4 Pro / One X

Call of Duty WWII PS4 Pro / One X

It depends on the game. Tomb Raider, and Shadow Of War are hugely improved.

Also in games that don't get updates on PS4 Pro, they run identical to a regular PS4. On X1X they get 16x AF vs the usual 4x, hold frame rates and games with dynamic res hold the res because the extra power is actually put to use.

Sheez, I knew that MS was not producing the Kinect 2 anymore. However, the last thing I expected them to do was stop selling them along with the Kinect 2 adapter at the Microsoft Store. Thankfully, I was able to get one a Gamestop but, I really have to wonder if they are producing anymore of the adapters. Seems if they do not, Microsoft is shooting themselves in the foot.

Back