XBOX ONE X folks, check in here!

Try going directly to the TV with the cable just to see if that works. That'll at least help you narrow things down.
Somewhat related, I'm noticing that over time using Atmos slowly loses sync with television content. It's fine initially, but over the course of an hour or so, it'll end up being about 1/4 second off. That's just enough to be noticeable to pretty much anyone. Normal Dolby and PCM don't do that. I suppose it probably has something to do with the internal audio processing.

Good advice. Thanks. Replaced the cable. Updated tv firmware. Fixed problem first direct to tv, then through avr. All good now!

Edit: spoke too soon. Looks like handshake issues now. Ugh.

Edit2: Marantz HDR issue. When I turn off HDR on Xbox, no issues with Marantz, even at 10bit color. HDR on, no joy. When bypassing Marantz straight to tv, no issues with HDR. Guess I have some more googling to do. Everything has current firmware.

Last edit I hope: after some frustrating HDMI cable roulette, it was the cable from my Marantz to my Samsung that was faulty, despite being a brand new high speed hdr compatible cable. Duh.

Last edited:
Is when clicking persistent storage under the Blu-ray settings area? I am getting an error and I can't even play BD Live content on Blu-ray discs because it's saying I have no storage or no internet connection but when I go to the Xbox settings it gives me this error code 0x80bd001b. Xbox Live support hasn't seen this yet and they tell me it's a new error and they're looking into it. Anyone else see this on their XBox One X?

Going to the Blu-ray disc area of your settings and click on persistent storage and tell me if that error message comes up. I've done a full reset and wipe the entire console and nothing's working.

This is for any HDR TV?
Yes its an HDMI limitation.
Hooked up my One X to my new samsung UN82MU8000 TV running through a Marantz SR7011 avr. Everyone works fine, including Dolby Atmos. However, Xbox doesn’t recognize HDR10, even though the Marantz and the Samsung support it. Worth replacing the HDMI cable? Or am I missing something else? Don’t want to run hdmi straight to tv if I can avoid it.

Thanks
Make sure you have UHD Color turned to On in the TV settings for at least the input you are using for the Xbox (better to just turn it on for all HDMI ports), make sure the HDR+ special viewing mode is OFF and color is set to Native. Then hard reset the Xbox and it should be fine. The cable that comes with it is a very high quality cable.
Somewhat related, I'm noticing that over time using Atmos slowly loses sync with television content. It's fine initially, but over the course of an hour or so, it'll end up being about 1/4 second off. That's just enough to be noticeable to pretty much anyone. Normal Dolby and PCM don't do that. I suppose it probably has something to do with the internal audio processing.
That's odd, I haven't had any issues with Atmos at all.

I got the X for funsies about a week and a half ago (and to play with a few people who don't have a PS4). Really digging using it on the new OLED. Started with Quantum Break, now making my way through Gears, and hoping for some PUBG action today.

The Xbox One X Enhanced patch was just released for The Witcher 3 today.

http://thewitcher.com/en/news/view/12581

List of changes for Xbox One X:
  • 2 new graphic modes: 4K Mode and Performance Mode
  • support for 4K resolution
  • HDR support
  • enhanced shadows, ambient occlusion and texture filtering
  • higher resolutions textures
  • dynamic resolution scaling (from 1080p to 4K)
Performance mode utilizes dynamic resolution scaling to target 60 FPS, while 4K mode targets 30 FPS at a constant 4K. Both modes support HDR.

How's the performance mode compare to the PC version set to 1080p with the settings cranked?

How's the performance mode compare to the PC version set to 1080p with the settings cranked?
It looks like Perf mode runs a mixture of medium and high settings. They definitely run the lighting effects higher than the environment, probably to take advantage of HDR, as the environmental effects don't seem to run much higher (if at all) than the original XB1 version. The ambient occlusion still isn't as high a quality as PC, that's for sure. My observation so far is that the game errs on using a lower resolution to maintain framerate. Some of the video I've seen so far have it running mostly between 54 and 60 FPS with some dips down to 50.

I have not noticed any frame drops at all in 4K mode. Seems like it's at a constant 30. The LOD is noticeably lower in 4K mode when compared to Perf mode, but texture detail and filtering is higher.

Digital Foundry will probably have an analysis after Christmas. I don't expect them to work into the weekend unless they'll have it ready by tomorrow.

Hey everyone. I am getting my Xbox One X in the mail on Tuesday. I read on Microsoft's Xbox support website that i can preload 4K content on my Xbox One S I selected the option in settings, but how do I know the content has downloaded? Also, does it download the content for my disc-based games or just the fully digital downloads on the hard drive?

Also, the getting ready steps seem too easy. Lol. All my games are already on my external drive and I also copied the system settings to the hard drive. The steps on Microsoft's website basically say all I have to do is plug in the hard drive into the Xbox One X when I get it up and running. Is that true? Anyone else done it?

Hey everyone. I am getting my Xbox One X in the mail on Tuesday. I read on Microsoft's Xbox support website that i can preload 4K content on my Xbox One S I selected the option in settings, but how do I know the content has downloaded? Also, does it download the content for my disc-based games or just the fully digital downloads on the hard drive?

Also, the getting ready steps seem too easy. Lol. All my games are already on my external drive and I also copied the system settings to the hard drive. The steps on Microsoft's website basically say all I have to do is plug in the hard drive into the Xbox One X when I get it up and running. Is that true? Anyone else done it?
Go to your game library and the third pulldown that filters your games by console should now have an "Xbox One X" option. Yes, it will also download the patches for your disc games.

Yes, all you have to do is make sure your hard drive is plugged in before you start it the first time. Be aware that not all of your console settings carry over, so double check those after you're setup.

Go to your game library and the third pulldown that filters your games by console should now have an "Xbox One X" option. Yes, it will also download the patches for your disc games.

Yes, all you have to do is make sure your hard drive is plugged in before you start it the first time. Be aware that not all of your console settings carry over, so double check those after you're setup.

Cool. Sounds super simple. Thanks!

So initial impressions of the Xbox One X for me aren't that great. I've only tried out Ghost Recon Wildlands so far, but coming from my PC where I normally play @ 4K, max settings, at least 60FPS to the X is harder than I thought it would be. I can at least play with my friends now which is nice, but going from PC to Xbox I notice a lot of differences; most notably the frame-rate. It seems like it dips to 30 or even slightly below more often then I should like, especially when flying.

Watching the Digital Foundry video it is playing at a constant 30FPS on the X.

Ugh...

Last edited:
So initial impressions of the Xbox One X for me aren't that great.

Unfortunately your experience is going to differ game to game. Some games run native 4K, at 60 fps (Forza 7), while others might do 4K checker-boarding, or have a dynamic resolution that goes up 4K at 60 fps (Titanfall 2). Some games, like Gears of War 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider, etc., give you a choice. They'll have a high resolution mode, which lowers the frame rate, or they have a high frame rate mode, which of course lowers the resolution, and some games will have an in-between mode.

I just got my Xbox One X in the mail 2 days ago from Newegg. The Xbox One X is non-returnable to Newegg so I have to deal with Microsoft now. A brand new console.

Last night I played some Wildlands co-op with a buddy of mine and the console froze once but didn't turn off so I had to pull the power plug. Today, after a lengthy 3 hour playing session by myself the console turned off. I heard the beep sound that it was off and that's it. I turned it back on played for another half hour and it's off again. Waited 30 minutes, turned it back on and it shut down in even less time. I am so frustrated.

All the suggestions seem to indicate that I need to buy some Nyko Power Cord for Playstation which has higher amperage, but unlike those other posts I can turn my console back on. Others have posted about theirs turning off and staying off, but mine I can turn on I just can't keep it on for longer than 30 minutes or less.

I am sooo upset. This was going to be my weekend after a long stressful week of work to sit back and play some games, but now I can't... So now I am literally chatting with Microsoft support who is telling me to go into settings and restart the console... UGH!

I just got my Xbox One X in the mail 2 days ago from Newegg. The Xbox One X is non-returnable to Newegg so I have to deal with Microsoft now. A brand new console.

Last night I played some Wildlands co-op with a buddy of mine and the console froze once but didn't turn off so I had to pull the power plug. Today, after a lengthy 3 hour playing session by myself the console turned off. I heard the beep sound that it was off and that's it. I turned it back on played for another half hour and it's off again. Waited 30 minutes, turned it back on and it shut down in even less time. I am so frustrated.

All the suggestions seem to indicate that I need to buy some Nyko Power Cord for Playstation which has higher amperage, but unlike those other posts I can turn my console back on. Others have posted about theirs turning off and staying off, but mine I can turn on I just can't keep it on for longer than 30 minutes or less.

I am sooo upset. This was going to be my weekend after a long stressful week of work to sit back and play some games, but now I can't... So now I am literally chatting with Microsoft support who is telling me to go into settings and restart the console... UGH!

I would suggest contacting Newegg and see if they will exchange it, assuming you bought it from Newegg and not a third party through Newegg. I know you cannot get a refund but, an exchange may be something they could possibly do.

I would suggest contacting Newegg and see if they will exchange it, assuming you bought it from Newegg and not a third party through Newegg. I know you cannot get a refund but, an exchange may be something they could possibly do.

I just got off the phone with Newegg and they said it's non-replaceable and non-refundable and that I need to go through the manufacturer. And this is a order straight from Newegg and not a Third party.

I'm PISSED.

I just got off the phone with Newegg and they said it's non-replaceable and non-refundable and that I need to go through the manufacturer. And this is a order straight from Newegg and not a Third party.

I'm PISSED.

I would be as well. Sounds like some computer gaming for the time being then.

Are you giving it adequate airflow?

There is nothing wrong with the power cord it comes with. I've gamed on mine for 6-8 hour sessions on multiple occasions without issue so far. Scorpio Edition I've had since launch day, plugged into a fairly crowded power strip.

There could very well be a defect in the hardware and/or hardware assembly, too.

I would be as well. Sounds like some computer gaming for the time being then.

Are you giving it adequate airflow?

There is nothing wrong with the power cord it comes with. I've gamed on mine for 6-8 hour sessions on multiple occasions without issue so far. Scorpio Edition I've had since launch day, plugged into a fairly crowded power strip.

There could very well be a defect in the hardware and/or hardware assembly, too.

So I had a revelation on Sunday. EVERYONE online was saying to plug it into the wall. Well, I didn't want to do that because for a expensive piece of equipment like this I wouldn't do that. So, my dad suggested I plug it into my battery backup. So I did and I haven't had a turn-off since. So I think the issue definitely was that the X wasn't getting enough juice, or a stable enough amount of juice.

Missed Digital Foundry's analysis of The Witcher 3.

In 4K mode, the resolution scales between 1800p and 4K, operating more often in the former. In performance mode it is often operating in 1080p-"1332p" to maintain framerate. Performance mode has unlocked framerate and lives often between 45 and 55 FPS, but can drop to 30 in some cases. 4K mode maintains a steady 30 FPS. Texture quaity is the same between both modes, but filtering and lighting are turned way down in Performance mode. Checkerboard rendering is not used on the XB1X version.

So I had a revelation on Sunday. EVERYONE online was saying to plug it into the wall. Well, I didn't want to do that because for a expensive piece of equipment like this I wouldn't do that. So, my dad suggested I plug it into my battery backup. So I did and I haven't had a turn-off since. So I think the issue definitely was that the X wasn't getting enough juice, or a stable enough amount of juice.

I remember over a month ago somebody at Microsoft tweeted a reminder to not plug your Xbox One X into a surge protector, and to just plug it into the wall, since it has built in surge protection. I remember it made the rounds on some of the tech/gaming sites, and of course sparked a lot of debate. I don't know what kind of surge protector you were using before, but I suppose there may be certain brands, or just units that aren't providing a solid enough current, that could affect some equipment. Especially if that equipment also already has surge protection. Here's an article from Gizmodo: Click Here

I remember over a month ago somebody at Microsoft tweeted a reminder to not plug your Xbox One X into a surge protector, and to just plug it into the wall, since it has built in surge protection. I remember it made the rounds on some of the tech/gaming sites, and of course sparked a lot of debate. I don't know what kind of surge protector you were using before, but I suppose there may be certain brands, or just units that aren't providing a solid enough current, that could affect some equipment. Here's an article from Gizmodo: Click Here

Appreciate that. I just wish Microsoft would make these things more clear. On the other hand, I bought a Xbox 360 at launch and EVEN THEN Microsoft was telling folks to not plug their console into a surge protector for I think the same reasons. This was back when 1 out of every 2 360s were red-ringing, but I never did that. I NEVER plug anything directly into the wall outlet, but again my battery backup that I have my computer plugged into seems to have fixed all my problems.

Appreciate that. I just wish Microsoft would make these things more clear. On the other hand, I bought a Xbox 360 at launch and EVEN THEN Microsoft was telling folks to not plug their console into a surge protector for I think the same reasons. This was back when 1 out of every 2 360s were red-ringing, but I never did that. I NEVER plug anything directly into the wall outlet, but again my battery backup that I have my computer plugged into seems to have fixed all my problems.

Yeah, for what it's worth I've plugged all my Xbox consoles, starting with the original, all the way to the Xbox One X, into various surge protectors. I never had any issues, minus getting the RRoD with the Xbox 360... Either way, at least you got yours working properly!

Are there any good exclusive xbox one games? I just got a 4k OLED TV and 4k looks incredible! 1080p, not so much. so I was looking at the xbox one x.

but all i see is Halo collection, sunset overdrive (which aren't enhanced) and halo 5 that seem like fun.

Are there any good exclusive xbox one games? I just got a 4k OLED TV and 4k looks incredible! 1080p, not so much. so I was looking at the xbox one x.

but all i see is Halo collection, sunset overdrive (which aren't enhanced) and halo 5 that seem like fun.

Not really.. despite the One X's newer/faster hardware, I'd say your money is better spent on a PS4 Pro because its exclusives are pretty amazing looking still even at 1440p scaled up to 4K (normally with checkerboard rendering), some of them are native 1800p to 4K too though. Not to mention that most of its exclusives are exceptionally fun and well worth the price of the console if you care about more than pixel peeping.

If you want to play Xbox games on your new TV, get a Steam Link and an Xbox controller and enjoy the games at even better IQ than an One X if you have a 1060/580 or above in your PC already. Steam Link works great for me this way with negligible latency on a hardwired network. I would only recommend an Xbox to anyone who just wants to play online with their friends that have one too or if you don't already have a decent gaming PC.

I'm not trying to shit on the console or anyone here that bought them here. I'm just stating my take on the console after having a One S since it launched and I haven't really touched it in the last year because 100% of the games I'd play on it are on PC too and even with that I've been spending most of my gaming time on my PS4 Pro playing most of its stellar exclusives that have came out in the past year. So I'm not really compelled in the slightest to upgrade it to the X like I did from my base PS4 to the Pro last year.

Last edited:

Buy whichever system has your preferred exclusives, though 95% of games are on both, where the XBO:X shines.

I bought an X the other night as the performance of Monster Hunter World on my S was just not good enough. So far, almost all my games have an upgraded patch, so I've really been enjoying playing the X on my 4k Samsung. MHW especially is just miles better on the X. I thought about a PS4 pro, but I honestly prefer xbox controllers and I've discovered that the game streaming feature on the xbox lets me play even when the kids are dominating my big TV, so I'm happy with that.

I bought an X the other night as the performance of Monster Hunter World on my S was just not good enough. So far, almost all my games have an upgraded patch, so I've really been enjoying playing the X on my 4k Samsung. MHW especially is just miles better on the X. I thought about a PS4 pro, but I honestly prefer xbox controllers and I've discovered that the game streaming feature on the xbox lets me play even when the kids are dominating my big TV, so I'm happy with that.

Yeah, I prefer the Xbox controller too, but I have no issues with the PS4 controller really either. You can remote play to the PS4 from a PC or Vita (via LAN or internet) as well though, but I haven't messed with it really yet.

Another thing I really like better on Xbox too is its backwards compatibility and it annoys me highly that Sony has pretty much abandoned the thought of BC on PS4, as they would rather sell you your old games again on the PSN store or make you pay for their crappy game stream service. But despite all of that, current games are what matter most and Sony's exclusives are killing it nowadays.

Last edited:
Xbox One X Enhanced Patch released for XCOM 2.
https://xcom.com/news/entries/xcom-2-war-of-the-chosen-patch-ps4-xbox-one-console-update

Enabled Screen Space Reflections
Enabled Bokeh Depth of Field
Increased FXAA quality
Increased resolution to 1440

To coincide with the patch, XCOM 2 Collection was also released, which includes all the extra content released for the game, including War of the Chosen. Be wary that people are reporting that their game saves are being broken by the new patch.

Stiiiiiill waiting on The Division patch! Let's go Ubisoft!

H7nYe7t.jpg

I'm really enjoying my XBoneX so much more now that I have a Xim Apex. KB+M is nirvana on this console.

How is the apex? I had the Xim for 360 and loved it, but also got it for half the price of the apex.. Im really trying to love my box, but the controller is making it that much harder.

The recently released console version of Titan Quest released an X Enhanced patch yesterday. Unfortunately it went out the door with oversights that a dev says they are addressing already.

We fixed a mistake that the Xbox One S was treated the same as an Xbox One X, and turned on 4K mode by accident.

because titan quest is a billion years old, makes sense.

but microsoft wouldn't want the S running ANY game with the xbox one X enhancements, even if it can. They want to differentiate the products.

Back