XBOX ONE X folks, check in here!

Blades was easily the best Xbox UI design and yeah it’s gotten worse over time. To be honest PlayStation has gotten bad too. I liked the simple XMB menus on it too.

Yeah, I don't love it either. I think it's head and shoulders above the Xbox's UI, though. I don't find myself wondering where normal features and functions are, but the XBM was better/easier. The shipping 360 and PS3 UI's were both functional, snappy, and intuitive. The Vita UI was pretty great, too.
There's no way both of these UI's are getting this bad by accident. There's clearly some level of motivation to bury/hide certain functions and you have to think it's monetary. Focus on the social stuff so people pay the subscription fees. Make everything work like a store link so people will go there and buy things. Confuse, inconvenience, and irritate people into spending money or doing something that makes money for you in the long term.

Ok, so now that I have the Xbox One X.... What are the must have games? I am guessing GTA V for sure, as well as NIeR? What about Red Dead 2? It sounded like there were mixed opinions on it. I still have the first Red Dead on 360, and really enjoyed it, mainly for the story.

Ok, so now that I have the Xbox One X.... What are the must have games? I am guessing GTA V for sure, as well as NIeR? What about Red Dead 2? It sounded like there were mixed opinions on it. I still have the first Red Dead on 360, and really enjoyed it, mainly for the story.

Depends on what you like to play, Resident Evil 7 and the remake of 2, I love state of decay 2 but one does play that one for the story. If you like fighting games, maybe Killer instinct, Mortal kombat 11.

So far I could not realy get into RDR2 but the same goes for me for GTA (any of them that I tried) but in any case what I did play did looked nice and played great.

I am really enjoying ROTR. After this I'm going to go back & lay the original reboot and then SOTR.

With that being said I've been buying stuff on sale ta gamestop in either 3 9.99 for $15, or 3 14.99 for $25... You can get pretty cheap games that way. YMMV of course.

Also: I think the Assassin's creed EIZO pack is on sale (digital) and has 3 games & is $9.99.

Another option is just buying 3 years of gold for $180 or less & converting it to game pass ultimate for $2 & not buying any games right off the bat.

Another option is just buying 3 years of gold for $180 or less & converting it to game pass ultimate for $2 & not buying any games right off the bat.

I was on the verge of selling my Xbox One X (bought it for RDR2 but couldn't get into it), however I did the Gold conversion to Ultimate Game Pass "trick" and am really enjoying it now. Games that I would've probably skipped (Hollowknight, Ori, Warframe) have turned out to be a lot of fun. And now that it works for PC (playing through Rise of the Tomb Raider), I'm really dreading when my subscription expires.

What is this trick you guys are talking about that I’m not aware of at all?

If it’s the same as when it came out basically you can get up to 36 months of Live, pay the $1 for 1 month ultimate pass and get 36 months of ultimate pass (which includes live and game pass Xbox and PC).

Was the same, on the verge of getting rid then did the trick to get 2 years of game pass. But also, just getting back into ghost recon wildlands (singleplayer) in anticipation of Breakpoint. Will play single player though cuz I suck on the controller and since my partner died I only play console now. Totally agree on the UI, it’s terrible. Games I would recommend are, Red Dead 2, Bomber Crew, Metro Exodus......but due to the game pass I’m trying a lot of games I never would have.

Last edited:
Just picked up a 2nd XBONEX on ebay in "excellent" condition. $240 shipped & 10% ebay bucks! And to think I almost bought a One S new for $250-$299 last weekend...

This one is for the living room.

Score!

In other news: My son finished lego city undercover on xb1x this weekend. He's now finished it on PC (with controller), xb1x and wii u. He still loves the game..

I finished ROTR. Great game, but not a fan of the pre-scripted dialogue.

Not to give anything away (not sure how to put this in a spoiler) but the dialogue for the last fight vs what I was doing in the last fight didn't match up at all & kind of ruined it :(

I think I'm going to step away from TR series & get into batman arkham. I have asylum on PC, city & origins on WII U, and knight on XB1

Last edited:
Just picked up a 2nd XBONEX on ebay in "excellent" condition. $240 shipped & 10% ebay bucks! And to think I almost bought a One S new for $250-$299 last weekend...

This one is for the living room.

Score!

In other news: My son finished lego city undercover on xb1x this weekend. He's now finished it on PC (with controller), xb1x and wii u. He still loves the game..

I finished ROTR. Great game, but not a fan of the pre-scripted dialogue.

Not to give anything away (not sure how to put this in a spoiler) but the dialogue for the last fight vs what I was doing in the last fight didn't match up at all & kind of ruined it :(

I think I'm going to step away from TR series & get into batman arkham. I have asylum on PC, city & origins on WII U, and knight on XB1
Just be aware that the Arkham games are still capped to 30 FPS on Xbox One X, and the supposed patch that added enhancements made Asylum and City run worse while not looking any better. It's hard for me to play these on consoles after playing the PC versions.

Just be aware that the Arkham games are still capped to 30 FPS on Xbox One X, and the supposed patch that added enhancements made Asylum and City run worse while not looking any better. It's hard for me to play these on consoles after playing the PC versions.

Thanks. I'm only playing knight on it, and I have some time to decide if I want to to play it there or pick it up for PC. I think most of ROTR was 30fps, and playing on a sofa was worth the tradeoff for me. My main box is i5-8400, 16G, 1080Ti with IPS 144hz 1440p monitor, so I expect a console to be a littele slower. Playing Asylum on PC now with Steelseries Stratus XL & after a firmware update it went from being unusable to "pretty good, just works"

I am playing with Shadow of Mordor right now and am really enjoying it. It has combat similar to the Batman series. If you have the Game Pass, I would say to check it out. They also have Shadow of War, which I read was not as good.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm only playing knight on it, and I have some time to decide if I want to to play it there or pick it up for PC. I think most of ROTR was 30fps, and playing on a sofa was worth the tradeoff for me. My main box is i5-8400, 16G, 1080Ti with IPS 144hz 1440p monitor, so I expect a console to be a littele slower. Playing Asylum on PC now with Steelseries Stratus XL & after a firmware update it went from being unusable to "pretty good, just works"
Agreed on enjoying being able to sit back and play from my couch. I keep trying to get my PC set up so that I can play games from my couch, but it is never as clean an experience as a console has been.

Knight on PS4 made my eyes hurt, so there is that. I don't know what it was about that game because that had never happened to me before. It was fine on PC.

Rise of the Tomb Raider has 1080/60 and 4K/30 options on the One X. It plays just fine at 30 FPS and looks great at 4K.

I am playing with Shadow of Mordor right now and am really enjoying it. It has combat similar to the Batman series. If you have the Game Pass, I would say to check it out. They also have Shadow of War, which I read was not as good.
I have both I picked up for $8 or less...already beat both on PC, and they are great!

Knight on PS4 made my eyes hurt, so there is that. I don't know what it was about that game because that had never happened to me before. It was fine on PC.

Rise of the Tomb Raider has 1080/60 and 4K/30 options on the One X. It plays just fine at 30 FPS and looks great at 4K.
I don't remember seeing those options anywhere....I saw that in Shadow Of the Tomb Raider, however. Did you mean shadow?

This is one of the types of games that think do just as well on console/gamepad, as on PC.
Agreed. I think racing, casual, sports, "music/dance" & 3rd person without tons of twitch work decently on a console.

I don't think I have any FPS or RTS on my console, and cant' really imagine them working very well.

I don't remember seeing those options anywhere....I saw that in Shadow Of the Tomb Raider, however. Did you mean shadow?
In display options you can choose 4K Enriched Visuals, Native 4K, or High Framerate. The latter is the 1080/60 option. I think the "Enriched Visuals" options is the best and is the one I used when playing through the game on my Xbox. It uses dynamic resolution scaling so it can provide more visual effects that improve lighting, particles, and the like. These are the same options they included in Shadow, if I'm not mistaken.

In display options you can choose 4K Enriched Visuals, Native 4K, or High Framerate. The latter is the 1080/60 option. I think the "Enriched Visuals" options is the best and is the one I used when playing through the game on my Xbox. It uses dynamic resolution scaling so it can provide more visual effects that improve lighting, particles, and the like. These are the same options they included in Shadow, if I'm not mistaken.

Dang it now I have to check what I played it in! LOL. Probably 4k/30 as it didn't see that smooth.

Back