Xbox One wireless controller adapter for Windows arrives later this year

I'm more than happy with my 360 controllers, but it's still about time. There are things about the Xbox One controller I prefer (like the analog stick "looseness") after all.

About time! Hopefully it arrives soon. I don't know if they are planning to release it alongside W10, or just trying to hype how the two will play nice together. Either way, I'm tired of using a wired controller in my living room.

(How did we ever survive 15 years ago?)

Disregarding personal preference - are there any technical advantages of the Xbox One controllers vs. the 360 controllers? Obviously it's lighter, the analogs are tuned a little differently, and it has a slightly different shape. Is there anything under the hood that makes them better? I know that the voicechat quality on the Xbox One is worlds better than on the 360, but is that the machine itself?

Disregarding personal preference - are there any technical advantages of the Xbox One controllers vs. the 360 controllers? Obviously it's lighter, the analogs are tuned a little differently, and it has a slightly different shape. Is there anything under the hood that makes them better? I know that the voicechat quality on the Xbox One is worlds better than on the 360, but is that the machine itself?

Triggers are tighter on the X1, analogs are better (I'd say), better feedback motors, lower latency - better embedded controller (I think), voice quality probably has to do with that, too.

The Dpad on the One is actually usable compared to the 360s and better bumpers as well.

IMO, the placement of the d-pad forever makes it tough to use. It's why most of the fighting game players using 360 pads either use the analog for movement or they use one of the 3rd party controllers where the analog and d-pad are swapped. It's just not comfortable. Granted, the first 360 controller d-pads also full-on sucked, too...but the placement makes them a double whammy.

I recently had to replace my old 360 controller I have been using for 6 years on my PC.

I was very disappointed to find that the only wireless option was still the 360 controller.

I would have really liked to see the PS4 controller as a fully supported device as it works with my FireTV as well as PS4 would have been nice to have a single controller.

I'm sure 6 years from now I will be replacing the 360 controller again only to find the Xbox 2 controller still doesn't have a wireless dongle, and the PS5 doesn't have supported drivers for Windows.

I'd also love to see officially supported PS4 controller drivers. Right now there are ways to make it work, but inputs can drop over bluetooth.
I'd rather have that than the Xbox One controller dongle.

I would have really liked to see the PS4 controller as a fully supported device as it works with my FireTV as well as PS4 would have been nice to have a single controller.

It does work with windows 7 natively. IIRC, it shows up as a generic game controller. I use a 3rd party program with mine and it emulates a 360 pad... so any game that supports a 360 pad, will use the DS4 by default. It still prompts you with 360 buttons, but as long as you know the layout, it's something you'll ever notice. It also allows you to use the touch pad as a mouse pad, which is super handy at times.

I'd also love to see officially supported PS4 controller drivers. Right now there are ways to make it work, but inputs can drop over bluetooth.
I'd rather have that than the Xbox One controller dongle.

Yeah I looked into it and from what I read it works well as a wired device but you have to run an application that emulates it as a 360 controller, so it will work.

Due to that some of the features like six axis and vibration do not function correctly.

I had issues with inputs dropping when inputting them too quickly (wirelessly). I mainly need the d-pad for fighting games, and that's where the problem arises.
For instance, to execute a spinning piledriver in Street Fighter, you have to hit 6 directional inputs followed by a button in a fraction of a second.
On the PS3/PS4 I can hit those roughly 90-95% of the time using the same 2 controllers. On the PC I noticed I was hitting it maybe 25% of the time. When I looked at the input section, I noticed that it was dropping one of the six nearly every time, and it wasn't consistent which input it was either.
I think a real driver would probably alleviate something like that. It might work fine wired, but over Bluetooth it didn't work for the one and only thing I wanted it for.

I had issues with inputs dropping when inputting them too quickly (wirelessly). I mainly need the d-pad for fighting games, and that's where the problem arises.
For instance, to execute a spinning piledriver in Street Fighter, you have to hit 6 directional inputs followed by a button in a fraction of a second.
On the PS3/PS4 I can hit those roughly 90-95% of the time using the same 2 controllers. On the PC I noticed I was hitting it maybe 25% of the time. When I looked at the input section, I noticed that it was dropping one of the six nearly every time, and it wasn't consistent which input it was either.
I think a real driver would probably alleviate something like that. It might work fine wired, but over Bluetooth it didn't work for the one and only thing I wanted it for.

Strange... I've never noticed that, but I also don't play fighting games either. What kind of bluetooth dongle are you using? Or is it built into a wifi card?

Yeah I looked into it and from what I read it works well as a wired device but you have to run an application that emulates it as a 360 controller, so it will work.

Due to that some of the features like six axis and vibration do not function correctly.

You don't have to emulate it at all, but it does provide better features and compatibility in doing so.

Vibrate also works great... but I do know that the emulated drivers have quite a few different forks now after the original dev stopped working on it, so it's possible that it may be broken on one of them. Do you recall which one you were using?

Strange... I've never noticed that, but I also don't play fighting games either. What kind of bluetooth dongle are you using? Or is it built into a wifi card?

I have 2 Broadcom's and an ASUS. Same thing on all 3. It doesn't seem to affect normal motion moves, which usually only involve 3 inputs and a button. It's really only an issue for things that take 6 inputs or more. Getting the grappling supers (which take 12 millisecond inputs and a button) is a total crapshoot.

You don't have to emulate it at all, but it does provide better features and compatibility in doing so.

Vibrate also works great... but I do know that the emulated drivers have quite a few different forks now after the original dev stopped working on it, so it's possible that it may be broken on one of them. Do you recall which one you were using?

I never bothered to hook due to the perceived issues, and just bought a new 360 controller which I knew was going to be plug and play.

About time! Hopefully it arrives soon. I don't know if they are planning to release it alongside W10, or just trying to hype how the two will play nice together. Either way, I'm tired of using a wired controller in my living room.

(How did we ever survive 15 years ago?)

Why can't you just use one from a 360? :confused:

I haven't actually held an xbox one controller, when this comes out I will see if it is worth the upgrade. Hopefully the dongle is backwards compatable, if not I can sell of the old controller.

I haven't actually held an xbox one controller, when this comes out I will see if it is worth the upgrade. Hopefully the dongle is backwards compatable, if not I can sell of the old controller.

They have 'em on display at most stores like Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc. so you can get a feel for it. If you're used to the 360 pad, it's very similar. It's a bit lighter, the bumpers feel a little more angular, the sticks require less effort (for better or worse), and the analog triggers feel smoother. If you like the 360 controller, there's about a 90% chance you'll be okay with the Xbox One controller.

Why can't you just use one from a 360? :confused:

I can, but I like the X1 pad much better. Also, I have two, which makes it convienant to just have one synced to my Xbox, and one to my PC. I only have one 360 pad and its annoying to have to resync it to each system every time I want to use it elsewhere (still use my 360).

The $150 Xbox One "Elite" controller was advertised as being for Windows 10 and will be released in October. I'd say that's a decent guess.

Windows 10 only is a bit much. I get MS wants Windows 10 on as many PC's as possible but locking out driver support for previous (and still "supported") versions of Windows is a bit much..

Windows 10 only is a bit much. I get MS wants Windows 10 on as many PC's as possible but locking out driver support for previous (and still "supported") versions of Windows is a bit much..

I think they're just using "Windows 10" as the catch-all of saying that it works for the PC. After all, they are trying to push everyone toward it pretty hard. Unless there's a new version of Direct Input in DX12, I bet it'll work fine for other versions of Windows.

I think they're just using "Windows 10" as the catch-all of saying that it works for the PC. After all, they are trying to push everyone toward it pretty hard. Unless there's a new version of Direct Input in DX12, I bet it'll work fine for other versions of Windows.

Nope, the driver for the wireless dongle is only being made available for Windows 10.

I'm sure some modder will make it work with Windows 7 though.

But since MS waited so long to add Windows support for the wireless version, I don't care anymore and already bought a Steam Controller. Not to mention the bumpers are terrible on the XB1 controller.

How long does a full charge last?

How do you recharge it? I guess it comes with some recharger?

IMO, the placement of the d-pad forever makes it tough to use. It's why most of the fighting game players using 360 pads either use the analog for movement or they use one of the 3rd party controllers where the analog and d-pad are swapped. It's just not comfortable. Granted, the first 360 controller d-pads also full-on sucked, too...but the placement makes them a double whammy.

I much prefer the Playstation controller layout myself.

The $150 Xbox One "Elite" controller was advertised as being for Windows 10 and will be released in October. I'd say that's a decent guess.

The Elite controller looks like it might be awesome but, oh man, that price tag seems a bit steep.

Last edited:
The Elite controller looks like it might be awesome but, oh man, that price tag seems a bit steep.

They are going for teh l33t r0xx0r g4mer crowd :). Same deal as Scuf, who charge a ton.

That said, I'll probably get one. I really like the feature set they are advertising, and I'm no stranger to spending too much money on shit for gaming :D.

I'm interested in the Elite controller and don't mind paying for it as long as it works as needed. I want to see how replacing the left analog with different knobs works and how durable it feels.
As or right now, double-tap motions on the left analog (like dashing in fighting games) just isn't quick enough on a large stick. However a quicker/tighter nub or area pad would alleviate that.

Damn it guys! LOL

I asked for an update on the wireless dongle, not commentary on Windows 10 and the elite controller :D

Back