Xbox One Wireless Adapter for PC (pre-order)

caddys83

2[H]4U
Anyone getting one of these? The new Microsoft Xbox One Wireless Controller Adapter for PC is available for preorder on Amazon and Newegg for $24.99 :cool:

Newegg a release date: 10/27/15
Amazon a release date : 11/3/15

2TMHSL5.jpg

Price is not that bad, but damn, does it have to be so big? That is the size of a Firestick and other computers on a stick.

$25 for what is essentially a wifi adapter, which you can get for less and can do more...meh. Just seems like a ripoff when the controller itself is still $50.

It's irritating that they couldn't just use Bluetooth like the DualShock 4 and Wii U Pro Controller. I'll be picking one of those up but I was really hoping they'd abandon this model with the XB1.

Can't wait for these to hit production in China so that they can sell me a clone for $8. :)

I try to preorder one from newegg cause of the early release date with paypal and I forgot. This happen to me before. At the check out, you can't preorder items with PayPal damnit. :mad:

Quite likely I will. I've got an extra Xbox One controller that rarely gets used and I like the Xbox One controllers better than the Xbox 360 controllers.

I'm using a china clone Xbox 360 controller adapter because I wasn't able to find an official one. I had to manually install the drivers which is a pain. Hopefully these Xbox One controller adapters are a bit easier to find in Canada...

$25 for a friggin dongle? Laughable

I'll stick with my original 360 controller and my steam controller, thanks.

Nah, that thing looks like garbage and probably won't have even close to the support the Xbox controller has.

You obviously haven't done your research. It can be completely mapped to keys/functions for games that don't have native controller support.

It's 100% customizable in the software on a per-game basis.

Fortunately, my PC is set up in a way where I can use my wired Xbox One controller while still sitting on the couch playing games via my TV.

Everything is so outrageously priced that that seems cheap.

Does this allow wireless Xbox one game pad connection to pc? If so then I'm sold, if 25 bucks breaks my bank I have bigger issues

Nah, that thing looks like garbage and probably won't have even close to the support the Xbox controller has.

Boy do I have some news for you...

...it can be used in any game that supports a controller, and/or Mouse & keyboard.

You should check out some of the videos of the Steam controller in action. It is pretty impressive. It is going to completely change the way PC users can access and play games from their couch.

Price is not that bad, but damn, does it have to be so big? That is the size of a Firestick and other computers on a stick.

They botched this nicely. The 360 window controllers were $50 a piece, less on sale, and the adapter used a cord so as to be moved and tucked away. Not sure how much the older adapters went for but you can find 3rd party adapters under $10 on ebay.

Can't wait to try out my brother's steam controller.
Does this allow wireless Xbox one game pad connection to pc? If so then I'm sold, if 25 bucks breaks my bank I have bigger issues
It does and the cost is relative to what exist currently both from Microsoft and their competitors. This should not have been priced above $15 and the form factor is silly.

It's irritating that they couldn't just use Bluetooth like the DualShock 4 and Wii U Pro Controller. I'll be picking one of those up but I was really hoping they'd abandon this model with the XB1.
The line Microsoft has always used is that their proprietary protocol offers the lowest latency available over the air that other protocols like Bluetooth can't hope to achieve. It might be true, but knowing Microsoft the use of a proprietary protocol is more than likely to lock people in to their own licensed hardware.

Too little, too late. My Steam Controller is already on its way and the Elite Controller is one step forward, two steps back.

The line Microsoft has always used is that their proprietary protocol offers the lowest latency available over the air that other protocols like Bluetooth can't hope to achieve. It might be true, but knowing Microsoft the use of a proprietary protocol is more than likely to lock people in to their own licensed hardware.

It's probably true. Bluetooth is not really designed for low latency connections. If you've ever messed with a bluetooth mouse and them compared it to a Logitech wireless mouse, which uses a proprietary protocol, you can notice a difference.

Now, does it matter for a game controller? I dunno, probably not. But there is something to be said for protocols designed for a particular purpose.

this would be my option if steam controller ends up collecting dust or sold because it isn't being used

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Lets face it: The Xbox360 controller was one of the best gamepads for PC. The Xbone controller looks like a big improvement. I'm excited for this!

You obviously haven't done your research. It can be completely mapped to keys/functions for games that don't have native controller support.

It's 100% customizable in the software on a per-game basis.

Boy do I have some news for you...

...it can be used in any game that supports a controller, and/or Mouse & keyboard.

You should check out some of the videos of the Steam controller in action. It is pretty impressive. It is going to completely change the way PC users can access and play games from their couch.

Actually his point kind of still stands. Having to configure the thing for each game isn't the kind of support the Xbox 360 controller has. Steam controller is neat though I don't know if I'm ready to bite yet.

Lets face it: The Xbox360 controller was one of the best gamepads for PC. The Xbone controller looks like a big improvement. I'm excited for this!

It's not a huge improvement but it is a better controller. The sticks feel better, all four shoulder buttons feel better. I'm not a huge fan of controller rumble but the rumble in the triggers actually works well. The weight and size of the controller feels nice, but it did on the 360 as well. The only huge improvement is the d-pad. The d-pad feels so much better. All three console manufacturers made good controllers this time around (the Pro Controller for the WiiU is amazing).

The only thing I didn't quite like about the Xbox one controller was the rough edges on the sticks, but that is easily remedied with some silicone mushroom caps on them. Otherwise I have no complaints with regards to the overall feel of the controller.

But personally, I do feel that while the D-pad feels solid, it's not great for actual movement (for example emulators).

My "day to day" controller to date is a Wireless Xbox 360 Silver Edition (ie switchable D-pad) and the official X360 PC dongle (which let us not forget, supports 4 gamepads + 4 Xbox360 Wireless headsets! Note, the official dongles seem better made with regard to connectivity and durability. The ones that say Microsoft are mostly official, the ones that say Xbox360 are knockoffs). Thanks to some reasonable drivers on Microsoft's part, and on XInput, it works on the vast majority of games, with newer ones having native XInput support and controller-button prompts if made properly. Hell, as a Linux-preferring user, the X360 wireless controller/dongle is supported pretty much flawlessly - can't remember if it is in the kernel, but it requires little to no configuration for games that expect it. All other possible controllers are weighed in comparison to this set up.

I have ordered a Steam Controller and it should arrive in one of the "Limited/Pre-order" waves, because I want to support SteamOS / Steam Machines and the like. Previews have suggested that the Steam Controller is great at playing keyboard/mouse centric titles in a way that has not been done before on a controller and this is great. However, I am primarily concerned how without a right stick it will stand up to other controllers in comparison, for games that are made for/ I would normally play with my X360 controller. I'm also wondering about Linux support, and support for games NOT being run on/through Steam, as well as their decision to seemingly go for yet another dongle and non-standard wireless connectivity, rather than use Bluetooth 4.1+ . Depending on how the Steam controller stacks up, I''ll be considering an upgrade from my current X360 pad, which may either come in the form of the Playstation's Dual Shock 4, or an XboxOne controller. I will never understand why Sony, who made some really great Dual Shock 3 and 4 controllers that use Bluetooth, never came out with PC drivers! They had to see how Microsoft made sales on the hardware alone, simply because of support for PC drivers! Now, there are some third party DS4 drivers, some better than others, that finally have XInput support/X360 pad emulation and wireless gameplay, but it could have come much sooner with official driver. Hell, they could have open-source'ed it an let the community do the work. So that brings us to the XBOne controllers..

I had been waiting for the announcement of the XBOne PC dongle and the price isn't horrific. The official page shows that it will offer an "extender cable" which is nice for those who like I, plug the X360 dongle in at the back of the PC and route it up and around. It seems to offer only official Windows10 support, which may frustrate many users. I'm curious of course how it will work on Linux and will wait until it is launched to make a purchase, but a XBOne controller connected via wired/USB able seems to work fine Linux side all reports suggest, so hopefully Wireless dongles won't cause an issue. Likewise, how many XBO controllers can a single dongle support? MS was smart to make the X360 dongle support 4 controllers on a single dongle for local play and I hope they are smart enough to do the same. It seems the dongle's page talks about support for headsets including stereo, but I'm going to gather this is more from the "plug into the Xbox One gamepad" variety instead of the old Xbox 360 Wireless Headset style. In a way, it is a good thing, provided the XBOne pads aren't stingy about what can connect to them. Someone more familiar with XBOne controllers than I may be able to answer this - I see there is a Stereo Headset Adapter that plugs into the bottom of XBO controllers and has a few buttons for mute, game vs comm volume and more. Will this be necessary to use any normal 3.5mm 4-pole jack headset with the XBOne controller that's "talking" to the PC dongle? I see the controllers themselves have some sort of jack on them without the adapter, so what circumstances/features warrant one over the other?

If I do purchase an XBOne pad, I have to say I'm at least considering the Elite. Despite its price, it seems like there some actual improvements made both in hardware quality and functionality (ie the "paddles", thumbstick options, trigger locks etc..). A standard XBOne controller ranges from $60-70 depending on graphic/edition, and I concede that the upgrades in the Elite warrant some price increase, though I'd feel $100 would be a more reasonable increase instead. Likewise, I'd like to see the Elite bundled with a PC dongle and Play/Charge kit. Seriously, if you're selling a $130 controller, it should come with a rechargeable battery!

So yeah... verbose I know, but I'm not sure what's going to happen. I'm curious if the Steam controller will sate my interest in an upgraded controller, or if the Elite will be the next step, provided it is compatible with the OSes I consider important.

There isn't that much of a difference between the 360 controller and Xbox One controller. They're roughly the same size and weight. Button placements are identical. The Xbox One controller has a slightly "deeper" grip on the back side that's good in the heat of the moment, but isn't as comfortable when you're playing something lazy for long periods. It feels good when held tight, but not as much when loose.
The main advantage is really with the d-pad, and if you're that serious about a d-pad game, you're better off with a controller that has it higher like the PS controllers.
I can see preferring one to another, but I don't see either as being hugely better or worse.

I had high hopes that the Xbox Elite controller would let you swap the d-pad and analog (or at least have tighter analog covers), but that isn't the case.

IMO, you're still best off with either the 360 or Xbox One controller (no need for both) and an older PS pad with a USB adapter.

I'm also wondering about Linux support, and support for games NOT being run on/through Steam, as well as their decision to seemingly go for yet another dongle and non-standard wireless connectivity, rather than use Bluetooth 4.1+

Steam Controller is Bluetooth (though I'm not sure what version) and the included dongle is just a "low latency" BT adapter. It will pair with any PC that has BT with or without the dongle.

Steam Controller is Bluetooth (though I'm not sure what version) and the included dongle is just a "low latency" BT adapter. It will pair with any PC that has BT with or without the dongle.

Oh this is excellent news! Since the official page and a few preview had mentioned "USB wireless pairing dongle" and never specified bluetooth, I thought they like Microsoft, Logitech and others had decided on a low-latency proprietary wireless system. It is thoughtful for them to include a new BT dongle, but it seems it should be better publicized. There were some early preview worries that the controller wouldn't work at all outside of Steam, but thankfully upon clarification that was remedied. Simply mentioning or omitting little bits of info can really change the perception.

can't wait for my steam controller
tracking says i'm getting it this friday

i am so getting the steam controller, just waiting for you guys to flood this forum with opinions about it to decide if i really order one.

Anyone getting one of these? The new Microsoft Xbox One Wireless Controller Adapter for PC is available for preorder on Amazon and Newegg for $24.99 :cool:

Newegg a release date: 10/27/15
Amazon a release date : 11/3/15

Amazon release date seems to have been updated to the 27th as well in the last few days some time

I bought an Xbox one controller from Fry's right when Mad max came out, specifically for use with driving. I even tried using it with Metal gear because controlling walk/crawl speeds is so much smoother using a controller. I found myself alternating back to the mouse and KB though and setting the controller in my lap when I wasn't driving because I SUCK at aiming with a controller and I am just so use to using the Mouse. I do have an adapter on preorder though. I will say that the force feedback is a cool feature for immersion that I forget about with PC gaming, but the games I have played, the force feedback feels a little weak.

There isn't that much of a difference between the 360 controller and Xbox One controller. They're roughly the same size and weight. Button placements are identical. The Xbox One controller has a slightly "deeper" grip on the back side that's good in the heat of the moment, but isn't as comfortable when you're playing something lazy for long periods. It feels good when held tight, but not as much when loose.
The main advantage is really with the d-pad, and if you're that serious about a d-pad game, you're better off with a controller that has it higher like the PS controllers.
I can see preferring one to another, but I don't see either as being hugely better or worse.

I had high hopes that the Xbox Elite controller would let you swap the d-pad and analog (or at least have tighter analog covers), but that isn't the case.

IMO, you're still best off with either the 360 or Xbox One controller (no need for both) and an older PS pad with a USB adapter.
The slight change in ergonomics definitely hurt the ONE controller, in my opinion. You're spot-on with your analysis of loose versus tight grip. I grew up with a loose grip mindset so as to not mutilate my hands from playing video games, and the ONE controller kind of forces a tight grip on you. I really can't play anything with it for longer periods without my hands starting to hurt. In this way I really feel the Dualshock 4 is superior because you can still use a loose grip and still be effective.

Back