Xbox One update removes the dreaded sharpening filter.

Godmachine

[H]F Junkie
After updating my console I can now confirm that this awful useless filter is GONE. Games looks so much better (not 1080p better but very nice now). So watch out for the update as its rolling out over the weekend.

To receive the update put your Xbox One in stand by mode (make sure you have automatic downloads enabled as well as instant on in the power menu under settings) and your box will tell you its ready by flashing the Xbox power logo.

Post your impressions of life after the sharpening filter :)

Oh and please anyone that wants to start up a resolution war or be a snarky troll , go else where.

I didn't notice the filter too much, but yeah I can confirm it is gone for me too.

I noticed it most in Dead Rising 3. Game looks a lot softer and overall a lot better now. Ghosts is the same way.

...who the fuck thought that would be a good idea? What, televisions don't have sharpening controls?

I would imagine removing the sharpening has exposed developers who have employed weak textures for their games more easily and rightfully so.

This filter is/was a hit to overall image quality like the LOD wars between Nvidia/Radeon of the past were used to "cheat" detail to get around performance issues.

Killer Instinct looks like a totally different game now. Microsoft is going to have to deal with the reality that 1080p just isn't in the cards for many of its games and using post sharpening filters to improve detail is like putting lipstick on a pig.

Frankly I'm glad it's gone. It looked incredibly artificial. And at least it shows Microsoft is listening to complaints and addressing them.

I would imagine removing the sharpening has exposed developers who have employed weak textures for their games more easily and rightfully so.

This filter is/was a hit to overall image quality like the LOD wars between Nvidia/Radeon of the past were used to "cheat" detail to get around performance issues.

Killer Instinct looks like a totally different game now. Microsoft is going to have to deal with the reality that 1080p just isn't in the cards for many of its games and using post sharpening filters to improve detail is like putting lipstick on a pig.

Frankly I'm glad it's gone. It looked incredibly artificial. And at least it shows Microsoft is listening to complaints and addressing them.

KI doesn't look like a totally different game. Just played it today after the update. You're comment is laughable. Do you even own a Xbox One?

Sharpening add's fake detail. So people were looking at fake shit anyways. Very cheap trick by microsoft.

KI doesn't look like a totally different game. Just played it today after the update. You're comment is laughable. Do you even own a Xbox One?

Stop trying to create a flame topic. Go else where if you have some kind of axe to grind or want to expound upon your fanboyism.

If you bothered to frequent this subforum and read its posts you would know in fact I own both an Xbox One and a PS4. But you obviously didn't and decided a hostile comment was warranted.

caxg.png

f816.png

Made them nice and big so you could see clearly. Bye now.

Last edited:
There are a bunch on neogaf and not really feeling like hooking up my elgato and capturing pics.

i cant tell a whole lot from those two pictures since they arent even the same character models.

however the before picture looks BETTER to me than the after picture. *shrug*

Worst comparison screenshot ever. Why not use the same characters? We're left just comparing the lifebars and background.

Stop trying to create a flame topic. Go else where if you have some kind of axe to grind or want to expound upon your fanboyism.

If you bothered to frequent this subforum and read its posts you would know in fact I own both an Xbox One and a PS4. But you obviously didn't and decided a hostile comment was warranted.

caxg.png

f816.png

I own both systems as well. The softer look actually is better. I've logged 25 hours in KI since release on a calibrated Sony 55HX950. It doesn't look like as you put it a "totally different game". That in itself is a flame comment and overblown. Don't use neogaf as a source as its pretty biased towards PlayStation.

I own both systems as well. The softer look actually is better. I've logged 25 hours in KI since release on a calibrated Sony 55HX950. It doesn't look like as you put it a "totally different game". That in itself is a flame comment and overblown. Don't use neogaf as a source as its pretty biased towards PlayStation.

If by biased you mean calling it like it is then sure. Last generation was biased towards 360 it seems.

/shrug

buahahahah.

Sorry, that's just the way it is. They don't screw around with unsourced information and tend to follow the leader over there. If Sony tried to do what Microsoft tried last June they would have been knee deep in their ass.

Laughing at Xbox One sales numbers or its power has nothing to do with bias so much as it's factual and all falls on Microsoft. If they were heavily Sony biased you wouldn't see the Vita is dead posts all the time. There is one running thread dedicated to it with the same 10 or so people posting. They don't even include it anymore in sales prediction threads.

This is not small nitpicky issues where fanboys are foaming at the mouth saying one is better, last gen they slammed PS3 for multiplats and this gen they are going to be brutal on One because the differences are far greater than last gen.

If by biased you mean calling it like it is then sure. Last generation was biased towards 360 it seems.

/shrug

I really don't care, I just like good games regardless of the platform. Now if Nintendo would just drop the WiiU to $199.

I really don't care, I just like good games regardless of the platform. Now if Nintendo would just drop the WiiU to $199.

Ditto. I am thoroughly enjoying my Xbox one and its games. It plays great and looks great. If I want super hi res with super hi settings, I will play on my computer that neither console can match.;)

I think most people run there TV way out of calibration with jacked up colors, too much sharpness, crushing contrast, and they probably have 5% overscan enabled causing way more issues than an XBox filter. I doubt many people will be able to really tell the difference.

I think most people run there TV way out of calibration with jacked up colors, too much sharpness, crushing contrast, and they probably have 5% overscan enabled causing way more issues than an XBox filter. I doubt many people will be able to really tell the difference.

Very true, a lot of people run their TVs in out of the box "Torch" aka Dynamic mode picture settings.

While it hasn't really made a huge difference in games, I notice it in the intro movies and UI. It think it looks better in games, but it makes some things look a little smudged.
Not a huge deal either way.

Sorry, that's just the way it is. They don't screw around with unsourced information and tend to follow the leader over there. If Sony tried to do what Microsoft tried last June they would have been knee deep in their ass.

Laughing at Xbox One sales numbers or its power has nothing to do with bias so much as it's factual and all falls on Microsoft. If they were heavily Sony biased you wouldn't see the Vita is dead posts all the time. There is one running thread dedicated to it with the same 10 or so people posting. They don't even include it anymore in sales prediction threads.

This is not small nitpicky issues where fanboys are foaming at the mouth saying one is better, last gen they slammed PS3 for multiplats and this gen they are going to be brutal on One because the differences are far greater than last gen.

aside from people who post on GAF, GAF is considered a joke. And frankly it is just that. Laughing at sales numbers? What the fuck is there to laugh at? It saw about a 400% increase in launch numbers from the Xbox 360. If thats laughable then all it does is prove more and more what a joke the community on gaf is, plain and simple. No matter what anyone things, it is an EXTREMELY small subset of the gaming population which means jack shit.

Very true, a lot of people run their TVs in out of the box "Torch" aka Dynamic mode picture settings.
That is also probably why the RBG range over HDMI is so far out of spec. I would suspect they optimized video output by testing on what they thought the majority of their users would play on, i.e. uncalibrated factory settings that make TVs stand out on the store shelves.

It is pretty obvious who the Microsoft Xbox one haters are and who does not care one way or the other. Enjoy the Xbox one, I know I am. :D For those who I think are haters, do you ever post anything positive about the Xbox one? :rolleyes:

aside from people who post on GAF, GAF is considered a joke. And frankly it is just that. Laughing at sales numbers? What the fuck is there to laugh at? It saw about a 400% increase in launch numbers from the Xbox 360. If thats laughable then all it does is prove more and more what a joke the community on gaf is, plain and simple. No matter what anyone things, it is an EXTREMELY small subset of the gaming population which means jack shit.

I'm pretty sure when major news outlets, companies, and industry people recognize them they are not a joke. They have broke a ton of stories and a large majority of rumors commented on from them turn out to be truthful.

I have an Xbox One so believe me I want my new found investment to payoff and while their sales figures are nice they lost market share in their two biggest regions. In North America and the UK they had a what 2:1 or even 3:1 ratio of consoles sold over the PS3? That's gone and frankly with them doubling the sales of the Xbox One in a January in North America with tens of thousands of Xbox Ones sitting on the shelves I don't see how that wouldn't be troubling.

Kinectless SKU announcement at E3 if Titanfall fails to be the next Halo (which it won't).

EDIT:

Sorry should have mentioned this. They are not laughing at the sales numbers like they do Nintendo Wii U sales numbers (being bad). They are laughing at the fact that they ultimately caused it to happen themselves, the PS4 demand proves people wanted something new. Microsoft just got it wrong, presented it wrong at E3, and has been reactionary as opposed to being proactive and making a case for the Kinect.

I also noticed you didn't comment on laughing at power differences between the platforms. I appreciate you giving up that fight, as it was very tiring on most of us here.

Last edited:

caxg.png

f816.png

Why would you take 2 pictures that are different to compare?

Maybe read the rest of the thread?

They are reposted pictures not my own , I simply offered up a quick and dirty comparison that I felt showed a difference. As someone has already reposted a direct same screenshot comparison I didn't feel I needed to bother now.

Either way the difference is there and obvious. If you can't see it then perhaps you have screwed up settings on your display ( I mean in game not from the screenshots ) or you lack good enough eyesight to see it in which case it's understandable.

I'm pretty sure when major news outlets, companies, and industry people recognize them they are not a joke. They have broke a ton of stories and a large majority of rumors commented on from them turn out to be truthful.

I have an Xbox One so believe me I want my new found investment to payoff and while their sales figures are nice they lost market share in their two biggest regions. In North America and the UK they had a what 2:1 or even 3:1 ratio of consoles sold over the PS3? That's gone and frankly with them doubling the sales of the Xbox One in a January in North America with tens of thousands of Xbox Ones sitting on the shelves I don't see how that wouldn't be troubling.

Kinectless SKU announcement at E3 if Titanfall fails to be the next Halo (which it won't).

EDIT:

Sorry should have mentioned this. They are not laughing at the sales numbers like they do Nintendo Wii U sales numbers (being bad). They are laughing at the fact that they ultimately caused it to happen themselves, the PS4 demand proves people wanted something new. Microsoft just got it wrong, presented it wrong at E3, and has been reactionary as opposed to being proactive and making a case for the Kinect.

I also noticed you didn't comment on laughing at power differences between the platforms. I appreciate you giving up that fight, as it was very tiring on most of us here.

The real problem with Kinect is they didn't have a showcase title for it at launch. A jetski demo doesn't cut it.

EDIT:

more like ive givin up on dealing with you. Frankly your a die hard fanbody even if you do own both consoles and thats all their is to it. you the most try hard person on this board period, and its sickening. In every single thread you participate in, most people are responding and back lashing at you including the wii u thread and anything to do with the one. Thats all there is to it, and i have significantly better/more important things to do during my day than being bothered to respond to someone whos blind.

And GAF didnt break jack shit on the One, in fact 90% of CBoats "leaks" turned out to be 100% wrong

Prove it, post them and post how they were wrong.

There is a reason why Albert Penello hasn't gone back to neogaf, and there is a reason why you got laughed the heck out of gaf, and i honestly haven't even bothered to check if you got banned, like this guy:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=101552060#post101552060

Who pointed us out to http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=738478 some of the sloppiest shilling from MS, but quite honestly, last year was full of sloppy MS shill lol :D

PS: noone is a bigger fan than you are of the XB1, but i must admit that you are cute in your fan ways, at least nowadays you don't try and pass yourself as an engineer (my god, that was embarrassing!).

Something else the update seems to have removed is the ability to tell your Xbox to turn off verbally.
It responds fine to "Xbox Turn Off" - but now it refuses to acknowledge when I follow up with "Yes" or "No" to the final prompt.

Back